Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: WD hard disk not working

24 Oct 2012   #1
meenakshisharma

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 
WD hard disk not working

my 1 tb wd harddisk is not being detected by the system. so i opened my cpu and got that afted being power up my system, the hdd is vibrating (rotating) for a while then it stops. i have some important files on it and i dont know waht to do. can sm1 help plz...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Oct 2012   #2
Debbie B

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Hi,

You can follow the below mentioned steps:

Click on “Start”, in search box type “cmd”. When it show "Command Prompt" in the search list, right-click on it and select the option "Open as administrator". Open the command prompt and type the beow mentioned commands:
“set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1” Press Enter
“start devmgmt.msc” Press Enter
"Device Manager" window will be opened. Now in the device manager, click on "View", Select "Show hidden devices". Now expand the "Disk Drives" nodes and "Universal serial bus controller" by clicking on "+" symbol. If you find any greyed entries > Right click on it > Select "Uninstall". Restart your PC and connect your external drive and the drivers will be re-installed.

Make sure your device is plugged into a USB port (even if it is not being recognized).
-Open command prompt (Start Menu>Accessories>Command Prompt), right click and run as administrator.
-Type this: sfc /scannow
-Let it run (this may take a few minutes).
-Afterwards, take it out, and plug it into a different USB port (if you do not have one, unplugging and plugging it in should have the same effect)

Let us know the results
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2012   #3
bassfisher6522

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Is this an external or internal HDD? How is it being connected to PC?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Oct 2012   #4
pra40

windows 7
 
 

May be it's related to hardware, check with another harddisk. If same thing happens it may be SMPS(power unit) 90% chance or the motherboard 10% chance. See whether you have a minimum of stable 450W.

http://www.rapidenumerique.frhttp://www.rapidesaisie.fr : http://www.saisiededonnees-idf.frhttp://www.saisiededocuments-idf.fr
http://www.archivagenumerique-idf.frhttp://www.saisie2documents.fr : http://www.saisiedetexte.frhttp://www.saisiedequestionnaires.fr
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2012   #5
meenakshisharma

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

@Debbie Thanks for your help, but my hard disk is internal. I tried what you told but its still not recognizing/showing in the device manager.
@bassfisher6522 it is an internal drive via sata port
@pra40 i have two hdd as internal the other one is working properly, and i have smps of 450W. can you tell me what might be the problem with the motherboard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2012   #6
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

When you start the computer, press F2 or Del (if the screen shows a different prompt key, press that instead) to enter the BIOS (see your motherboard manual for details). Is the drive showing there?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 WD hard disk not working




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Installed new hard drive on HP Pavillion dv6, boot disk not working
Hello, New to the Tech forum boards but I am having a problem with my HP Pavillion dv6t. The hard drive went bad so I installed a new Seagate 1TB internal hard drive in the notebook. Starts up fine and then it says that "No bootable device found"---insert disk press any key. The disc is in the...
General Discussion
Confused about installing Windows on my hard disk,hard disk problem
Hi guys, I will try to explain this as simple as i can.So let's start I have laptop ASUS N75SF and it is a year old,so i have decided to format.I have two separate hard disks that are the same brand,SeaGate 9500423 AS, each 500 gb capacity. Before i decided to format , one of my hard...
Installation & Setup
Host disk is running out of room, can't shrink virtual hard disk?
Hi Everyone, I have a challenge with resizing a virtual disk - here are a few details before I plunge into the challenge at hand; 1). The HOST O/S is Windows 7 x64 2). The GUEST O/S is Windows XP 3). The Desktop Virtualization software is VMware Workstation 8 Background - originally when...
Virtualization
Hard disk Error - The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.
I have IOmega 1 TB hard drive. 2 days ago, my comp restarted suddenly after which my external drive is corrupted. I get the error 'H: is not accessble' The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. It shows up in the disk management as RAW file system, I have almost 700 GB of important...
Hardware & Devices
hard disk boot failure insert system disk press enter
hi sir,im vijay.. im usin 2tb segate new hard disk sir..in my system i cant able to boot my os and also my hard disk ...its showin that hard disk boot failure insert system disk press enter ...i restarted many times its sayin the same problem...in my gigabite mobo bios my hard disk is not get...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App