Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: i7 3770k vs i7 3770 for gaming

26 Nov 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 
i7 3770k vs i7 3770 for gaming

Hey guys,

I'm planning on building a new system. With regards to the i7 3770k vs the i7 3770 which would run better at stock settings? I've never overclocked a cpu before and I'm not sure if I'm planning on to in the future. I know the k version would perform better OC'ed but at stock settings how would they fair?

My system would be for mostly gaming if that helps make the choice easier. Any information/suggestion would be much appreciated!

Oh btw I'm looking at this board to pair it with. If there is a better board around that same price range (< 200us) please let me know!

Thank you.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Nov 2012   #2

Windows 7 pro x64 SP1
 
 

Hardly any difference in the chips, except as you point out - the 3770K is unlocked and can be overclocked. If you are an o/c noob you may be best leaving well alone. Personally I buy o/c motherboard bundles that have been set up by an expert (saves expensive mistakes).

Also bear in mind that if in the future you decide to o/c, you will need a better cpu cooler. These are often too tall for a standard size case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Thank you for the response. The 3770 would fair well for gaming purposes?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Nov 2012   #4

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

The board looks fine for your budget.

The 3770K is very easy to overclock, I know you say your not sure if you would ever overclock, but maybe in the future it would be nice to have the option there? Get a bit more performance out of your CPU in a couple of years so to speak.

You just need to be sure you don't want to overclock really, the standard 3770 will be just fine and perform exactly the same as the K version at stock settings in games and it will save you a little money.

Paul
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paulpicks21 View Post
The board looks fine for your budget.

The 3770K is very easy to overclock, I know you say your not sure if you would ever overclock, but maybe in the future it would be nice to have the option there? Get a bit more performance out of your CPU in a couple of years so to speak.

You just need to be sure you don't want to overclock really, the standard 3770 will be just fine and perform exactly the same as the K version at stock settings in games and it will save you a little money.

Paul
You pretty much answered everything I wanted to know in that post lol thank you!! With regards to the board any other options would be better or just stick with that one?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2012   #6

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RaviR View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paulpicks21 View Post
The board looks fine for your budget.

The 3770K is very easy to overclock, I know you say your not sure if you would ever overclock, but maybe in the future it would be nice to have the option there? Get a bit more performance out of your CPU in a couple of years so to speak.

You just need to be sure you don't want to overclock really, the standard 3770 will be just fine and perform exactly the same as the K version at stock settings in games and it will save you a little money.

Paul
You pretty much answered everything I wanted to know in that post lol thank you!! With regards to the board any other options would be better or just stick with that one?
That board should be just fine for either CPU, if you do go for the K version I get the feeling you won't be going for any "extreme" overclocking so that board will do the job.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2012   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Sorry to ask, but can you elaborate on the 'extreme' overclocking?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2012   #8

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RaviR View Post
Sorry to ask, but can you elaborate on the 'extreme' overclocking?
Don't worry, feel free to ask whatever you like.

OK, I class Extreme overclocking as going for massive overclocks like 5ghz +

I have my 3770K running at 4.5ghz which I class as a mid range overclock.


Paul
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paulpicks21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RaviR View Post
Sorry to ask, but can you elaborate on the 'extreme' overclocking?
Don't worry, feel free to ask whatever you like.

OK, I class Extreme overclocking as going for massive overclocks like 5ghz +

I have my 3770K running at 4.5ghz which I class as a mid range overclock.


Paul
Wow 5ghz + would require very good after market cooling right? I highly doubt I'll go that far. At 4.5ghz what cooling do you use?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2012   #10

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

I use this - Antec.com - Product: Kühler H2O 920

It seems to do it's job pretty well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 i7 3770k vs i7 3770 for gaming




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: i7 3770k vs i7 3770 for gaming
Thread Forum
Using HP Scanjet 3770 Hardware & Devices
i5 - 3570k vs i7 - 3770k in terms of gaming? Hardware & Devices
Max temp for i7-3770k? Hardware & Devices
drivers for HP scanjet 3770 Drivers
Solved i7 3770k TIM PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
New Build i7-3770 ivy bridge PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
drivers for HP scanjer 3770 Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33