Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I would like to go from 2GB of ram to 8GB but am not sure if I can


26 Nov 2012   #1

windows 7 x64
 
 
I would like to go from 2GB of ram to 8GB but am not sure if I can

I'm not sure what type of information you are needing to help me with this but I have only a guess of how to tell. I don't know what I'm looking for in this info to tell me if my processor will run the ram.

I have done a crucial memory scan and came up with the results of DDR2 PC2-6400 up to 8GB being the highest. I just am not sure if my computer will actually recognize and use all of that 8GB if I put it in. I do not want to spend 140$ on a waste of ram if it won't.

Please help. x_x

(If I need more info plz tell me. I gathered everything I thought I would need but am not 100% sure.)



Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Celeron 900 @ 2.20GHz 65 C
Penryn 45nm Technology
RAM
2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-16)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 1484 (CPU) 66 C
Graphics
LP156WH2-TLQ2 (1366x768@60Hz)
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Hard Drives
233GB TOSHIBA MK2565GSX (SATA)
Optical Drives
hp DVD RW AD-7701H
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Nov 2012   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Yes. Heres a tutorial for your model on installing it if you are unsure how. You'll notice a significant increase in speed I'm sure.

Upgrade memory / Upgrade Ram in HP Compaq Presario CQ62 - YouTube
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2012   #3

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

The most useful thing to post would have been the exact model number, which may be on a sticker on the back of the laptop. (There's such a sticker on my CQ50-105NR.)

If this is your laptop:

Product Specifications Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM Notebook PC | HP Support

Actually, the specs there are not very complete. Crucial says that the 8GB is in the form of two 4GB SODIMMs:

Computer memory upgrades for HP - Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com

If I don't have the right model number, I suggest that you go to Crucial with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Nov 2012   #4

windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
The most useful thing to post would have been the exact model number, which may be on a sticker on the back of the laptop. (There's such a sticker on my CQ50-105NR.)

If this is your laptop:

Product Specifications Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM Notebook PC | HP Support

Actually, the specs there are not very complete. Crucial says that the 8GB is in the form of two 4GB SODIMMs:

Computer memory upgrades for HP - Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com

If I don't have the right model number, I suggest that you go to Crucial with it.
I have a Compaq Presario CQ62-215NR and yes I know that it would be in the form of 2 4GB sticks. I've heard that's the best way to get ram for a computer (2 matching same amounts of ram from the same manufacturer).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2012   #5

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mandapanda View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
The most useful thing to post would have been the exact model number, which may be on a sticker on the back of the laptop. (There's such a sticker on my CQ50-105NR.)

If this is your laptop:

Product Specifications Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM Notebook PC | HP Support

Actually, the specs there are not very complete. Crucial says that the 8GB is in the form of two 4GB SODIMMs:

Computer memory upgrades for HP - Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com

If I don't have the right model number, I suggest that you go to Crucial with it.
I have a Compaq Presario CQ62-215NR and yes I know that it would be in the form of 2 4GB sticks. I've heard that's the best way to get ram for a computer (2 matching same amounts of ram from the same manufacturer).
You would be correct. It makes sure that all the speeds are running the same and they are identical.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2012   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Well HP very liberally tells us it supports "8GB RAM", very nice. So you should be able to go with two 4 GB sticks, but what speed and whatnot I do not know.

Nevermind, reread and you gave that information on the speed, so I went to Cruicial's site and found this as being the best bet. That's if you want to use Crucial, surely there's another company that supports your motherboard, as well. And here's newegg.com's choices and here's tigerdirect.com's choice. Darn laptop memory is expensive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2012   #7

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IIllytch321 View Post
Well HP very liberally tells us it supports "8GB RAM", very nice. So you should be able to go with two 4 GB sticks, but what speed and whatnot I do not know.

Nevermind, reread and you gave that information on the speed, so I went to Cruicial's site and found this as being the best bet. That's if you want to use Crucial, surely there's another company that supports your motherboard, as well. And here's newegg.com's choices and here's tigerdirect.com's choice. Darn laptop memory is expensive.
DDR2 is relatively expensive, even on the desktop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2012   #8

Windows 7 Professional x64 Linux Mint 16
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IIllytch321 View Post
Well HP very liberally tells us it supports "8GB RAM", very nice. So you should be able to go with two 4 GB sticks, but what speed and whatnot I do not know.

Nevermind, reread and you gave that information on the speed, so I went to Cruicial's site and found this as being the best bet. That's if you want to use Crucial, surely there's another company that supports your motherboard, as well. And here's newegg.com's choices and here's tigerdirect.com's choice. Darn laptop memory is expensive.
DDR2 is relatively expensive, even on the desktop.
You said it, the same ddr3 memory is only $40
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2012   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I forgot, when comparing the prices I was looking up DDR3 for the desktop, heh.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I would like to go from 2GB of ram to 8GB but am not sure if I can




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33