Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB drive is write protected.


21 Dec 2012   #1

Windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 
USB drive is write protected.

Hello all. I need your help. I have a USB drive and it is write protected. I cannot format it with windows advanced boot option, I am not able to change the registry value for storage policies even. I have tried multiple PCs to format it. No luck

Please help guys...it is imp.

Thanks.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Dec 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Hi,

Have you tried to perform a CLEAN or CLEAN ALL command from DISKPART in order to wipe the drive?

Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command

Then attempt the format after that.

Regards,
Golden
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Check whether this helps.

1. Shutdown your computer
2.Plug-in your USB drive
3. Switch on the computer and get into safe mode by pressing F8 key.
4. In the Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
5. If your USB drive letter is D then C:\windows\system32>D: [ENTER]
6. D:\>format D: [ENTER]
7. If asked (Y/N), press (Y) [ENTER]

Now a full format will be done hopefully removing write protection from the USB drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Dec 2012   #4

Windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Hi,

Have you tried to perform a CLEAN or CLEAN ALL command from DISKPART in order to wipe the drive?

Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command

Then attempt the format after that.

Regards,
Golden
Thanks Golden. I tried the method and it is still not working. I am not able to format it and even run CLEAN or CLEAN ALL command.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2012   #5

Windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Check whether this helps.

1. Shutdown your computer
2.Plug-in your USB drive
3. Switch on the computer and get into safe mode by pressing F8 key.
4. In the Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
5. If your USB drive letter is D then C:\windows\system32>D: [ENTER]
6. D:\>format D: [ENTER]
7. If asked (Y/N), press (Y) [ENTER]

Now a full format will be done hopefully removing write protection from the USB drive.
Thanks jumanji....as I have mentioned that the advanced boot option did not help at all. I still get "Disk is write protected".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2012   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

1. What is your pendrive make/model?

2. Does it have a switch?

3. How old is your pendrive and was it functioning OK before?

4. Do other pendrives work?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2012   #7

Windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post

1. What is your pendrive make/model? Sandisk

2. Does it have a switch? NO

3. How old is your pendrive and was it functioning OK before?It is 1 year old. YES it was working

4. Do other pendrives work?
YES


anyways, I am thinking on quitting this as this is only a 4GB drive. But, the question remains why the write protection is not getting removed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Possible solutions:
How to Remove Write Protection From SanDisk | eHow.com
How to Remove Write Protection from a SanDisk Flash Drive | eHow.com
Also, try to regain ownership of the drive via Security tab, Advanced, Owner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2012   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

When too many bad sectors are created in a flash drive and the reserved sectors mapping those out and replacing gets exhausted, the flash controller in the drive will not allow one to write anymore and makes it write protected. Your pendrive has reached its end of life.

If within warranty, you may get a replacement.
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #10

Windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
When too many bad sectors are created in a flash drive and the reserved sectors mapping those out and replacing gets exhausted, the flash controller in the drive will not allow one to write anymore and makes it write protected. Your pendrive has reached its end of life.

If within warranty, you may get a replacement.
.
Thanks a lot jumanji and sorry for late reply. No, pen drive is already out of the warranty period. I will not use it. But, thanks a lot u guys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB drive is write protected.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: USB drive is write protected.
Thread Forum
Flash drive WRITE PROTECTED,, not able to format General Discussion
Write protected folder - USB Disk Drive General Discussion
Solved Write protected USB drive (hardware protection) Hardware & Devices
write protected pen drive General Discussion
Any Hard Drive is Write-Protected Hardware & Devices
thumb drive is write-protected Hardware & Devices
write protected external sata drive Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33