Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Using a second PC as an external monitor?

22 Dec 2012   #1
luckyrick

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Using a second PC as an external monitor?

So, I have a laptop and a Lenovo Ideacentre, which is a standalone desktop.





The laptop screen is very small. However, the laptop's specs are waaay better than the Ideacentre.



How can I use the Ideacentre's monitor as a display for my laptop?

Should I buy a HDMI-to-HDMI cable?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2012   #2
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

If the monitor on the ideacentre has an input then you should be able to do that. You could use a VGA, DVI, or HDMI connector depending on what is available. If it does not have additional ports for input then you won't be able to do this.

The HDMI receptacle on the PC portion is for output.

I have 2 PCs connected to one monitor here. I can switch between them with an input button on the monitor. That would also be very important to have. Standard PC monitors have these. I'm not sure about All-In-Ones.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2012   #3
bobafetthotmail

Win 7 Pro 64-bit 7601
 
 

In case you don't have any input in that ideacentre, you can install some softwares (a free one, a paid one with more features) that disguise themselves as a video card and pass the screen data through LAN, so it will totally suck for decent games but will be fine for everything else (well maybe HD movies may suffer, don't know, you can try the free one and see).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2012   #4
luckyrick

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobafetthotmail View Post
In case you don't have any input in that ideacentre, you can install some softwares (a free one, a paid one with more features) that disguise themselves as a video card and pass the screen data through LAN, so it will totally suck for decent games but will be fine for everything else (well maybe HD movies may suffer, don't know, you can try the free one and see).

Thanks. Both computers have HDMI ports.

Is any additional software required?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2012   #5
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

You shouldn't require any software, just hook up the hdmi cable to the screen set the input source and configure the 2nd screen showing now on the lappy and dial in the settings till you're happy !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2012   #6
luckyrick

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
If the monitor on the ideacentre has an input then you should be able to do that. You could use a VGA, DVI, or HDMI connector depending on what is available. If it does not have additional ports for input then you won't be able to do this.

The HDMI receptacle on the PC portion is for output.

I have 2 PCs connected to one monitor here. I can switch between them with an input button on the monitor. That would also be very important to have. Standard PC monitors have these. I'm not sure about All-In-Ones.

Cool. But the problem is that since the Ideacentre is an all-in-one PC, my laptop monitor may end up displaying my Ideacentre desktop, but I want it to be the other way round.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2012   #7
mmkarimi

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

i think there would be some problems
first check if the HDMI is an input port on lenovo, the hdmi port on your lenovo may be an output port the same as HDMI port on your laptop.can you take a photo from the back panel of your lenovo here?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2012   #8
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

If you have an HDMI cable give it a go and report back what happens.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2012   #9
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

You will probably not be able to use the HDMI port on the computer section to do what you want.


-capture.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2012   #10
luckyrick

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mmkarimi View Post
i think there would be some problems
first check if the HDMI is an input port on lenovo, the hdmi port on your lenovo may be an output port the same as HDMI port on your laptop.can you take a photo from the back panel of your lenovo here?
sure.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Using a second PC as an external monitor?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
cannot get external monitor to work
I have an hp laptop dv5115nr. a few months ago I install win 7 on it and it works fine. I got a samsung 22 inch lcd monitor and it will not work. I thought it might be the driver for the hp and they do not make them for the hp for the Win 7 version. so what do I do now?? I connected the monitor to...
Graphic Cards
Dell Laptop external monitor = OK, attached monitor = BSOD
My old dell laptop L502x is a bit quirky and caused me to buy a desktop, however, i think it is still saveable. when i have it display to an external monitor via hdmi, it works 100% with no problems. however, when i use the monitor that is physically attached to the laptop, i will get a " A clock...
BSOD Help and Support
External monitor maybe going bad?
My external monitor works but it just recently started doing something weird. It might be the VGA Cable but I'm not sure. It's visible enough that if you compared my laptop screen towards my external screen you would see this like tiny tiny tiny tiny (emphasizing tiny) like white flickers. Some...
General Discussion
External monitor on T60
How do I enable the external monitor port on the T60? Fn+F7 does not work.
Hardware & Devices
External Monitor flickering!
Hello, I am using a new Lenovo y550P laptop and having problems with the external monitor. When I plug my external PIXO LCD monitor via the vga port, I get a constant flickering. I have tried installing and reinstalling all the graphics drivers for video card (geforce gt 240m), adjusting the...
Graphic Cards
External Monitor
I close the lid on my laptop to enter the "Sleep Mode". when I open the lid to return to a normal state, I lose my external monitor. In order to get it back, I need to go through personalize option and redetect the monitors. I have employed the use of the MCE standby tool, Slick Solutions -...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:23.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App