Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Second hard drive - Windows stuck a boot


28 Dec 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 
Second hard drive - Windows stuck a boot

Hi!

I found another old hard drive, a Seagate 250 GB, and when I plug it to the pc, Windows is stuck at the Windows 7 logo at the boot, and the logo itself lags.
the hard drive is detected in the BIOS.
what could be the problem? (can it be a virus on this old hard drive?)

Thanks everyone!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Dec 2012   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP 1
 
 

Does the old HDD have another Windows installation on it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
Does the old HDD have another Windows installation on it?
Yes it does, infact, when I unplugged the Windows 7 hard drive leaving only this hard drive plugged, I got into Windows mode selection screen (safe mode, normal etc, but this too got stuck)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Dec 2012   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP 1
 
 

DISKPART : At PC Startup

Partition - Mark as Inactive

If you follows the steps in these tutorials you can make your old HDD inactive and then delete the old OS and reformat the disk to regain use of it. Another option would be to use the diskpart clean command to wipe and then reformat the old HDD.

Note: I would advise unhooking your newer HDD from the system before attempting to do anything with the old HDD. It makes it easier to only have one drive to work with.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

it happens because the new HDD needs to be checked for bad sectors. try to plug in the data cable when you are in the windows environment. then go to the manage section and update the field.
when it recognized the new HDD, try to check it for bad sectors.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP 1
 
 

Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command

Here is a tutorial for using the diskpart clean command.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
DISKPART : At PC Startup

Partition - Mark as Inactive

If you follows the steps in these tutorials you can make your old HDD inactive and then delete the old OS and reformat the disk to regain use of it. Another option would be to use the diskpart clean command to wipe and then reformat the old HDD.

Note: I would advise unhooking your newer HDD from the system before attempting to do anything with the old HDD. It makes it easier to only have one drive to work with.
in this tutorial, I need to insert the repair CD that is related to the old hard drive? because I don't have it, and when I insert the repair CD of the new hard drive, the old hard drive isn't detected. (maybe because it can't install its drivers?)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mmkarimi View Post
it happens because the new HDD needs to be checked for bad sectors. try to plug in the data cable when you are in the windows environment. then go to the manage section and update the field.
when it recognized the new HDD, try to check it for bad sectors.
you mean, plug the power cable to the hard drive before I turn on pc and when pc is on just add the data cable? (is it safe?)
*edit: I did that:turned off pc, plugged the power cable and still didn't plug the data cable, and when I was inside Windows, I connected the data cable, but nothing happened.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP 1
 
 

Download and create a bootable cd of Partition Wizard. Then shut down your PC and unhook your newer HDD, leaving only the old HDD connected. Then boot your computer up into the Partition Wizard cd and see if your old HDD is recognized. If it is, then you can find the option to mark the old HDD as inactive, as well as reformating and repartitioning the drive.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/parti...otable-cd.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

after that go to the disk manager and update the list. the new HDD would be appear, then go to the disk management and label the new hdd that has found...
...yeah its safe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
Download and create a bootable cd of Partition Wizard. Then shut down your PC and unhook your newer HDD, leaving only the old HDD connected. Then boot your computer up into the Partition Wizard cd and see if your old HDD is recognized. If it is, then you can find the option to mark the old HDD as inactive, as well as reformating and repartitioning the drive.

Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to manage partition directly with partition manager bootable CD.
I did it, Partition Wizard recognized the drive, I deleted all the partitions and then plugged back the main drive and it did boot! but inside Windows, I try to format it and it fails, and telling me to check connection and if its set to read-only,now its marked as RAW under File System.
Do you think this drive is dead?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Second hard drive - Windows stuck a boot




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Second hard drive - Windows stuck a boot
Thread Forum
Stuck on startup repair screen saying repairing hard drive BSOD Help and Support
Newbie stuck on reinstall new hard drive Backup and Restore
Hard Drive Failure Windows 7 won't boot up Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 won't boot after removing a hard drive. BSOD Help and Support
Hard drive stuck in sleep mode? BSOD Help and Support
Installed new hard drive - Windows 7 won't boot from CD Installation & Setup
Stuck installing Windows 7 on a clean hard drive. Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33