Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What software to use with SSD clone and for backup too? Many Choices!!


29 Jan 2013   #101

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
SSD doesn't show up in BIOS. It only shows the following (not necessarily in this order):
- Removeable Drive
- Hard Drive
--- ST1000
- USB
- CD/DVD
- eSATA
- Network

What do you use when booting from dvd? Is that option DVD or USB (you attached DVD drive on usb port?)
I use CD/DVD to boot from external CD/DVD.

I just checked the boot priority order. This is how it is set up right now. This is what it shows when you expand the hard drive and network boot selections.

It boots to the SSD at this time.

- Hard Drive
--- ST1000 hard drive
USB storage device
Removable Drive
eSATA
CD/DVD
- Network
--- Realtek PXE B03 DOO

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Jan 2013   #102

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LeftC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
SSD doesn't show up in BIOS. It only shows the following (not necessarily in this order):
- Removeable Drive
- Hard Drive
--- ST1000
- USB
- CD/DVD
- eSATA
- Network

What do you use when booting from dvd? Is that option DVD or USB (you attached DVD drive on usb port?)
I use CD/DVD to boot from external CD/DVD.

I just checked the boot priority order. This is how it is set up right now. This is what it shows when you expand the hard drive and network boot selections.

It boots to the SSD at this time.

- Hard Drive
--- ST1000 hard drive
USB storage device
Removable Drive
eSATA
CD/DVD
- Network
--- Realtek PXE B03 DOO
so it tries to:
- Removeable Drive (=floppy). If it fails
- Hard Drive --- ST1000. if it fails
- USB . if it fails
- CD/DVD .if it fails
- eSATA .if it fails
- Network


How do you boot from CD/DVD. It first tries to boot from harddisk if this is really the boot order!!
And please prove it's booting to SSD now. Do it by posting disk mangement output.

How is SSD connected to motherboard? using sata cable?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #103

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LeftC View Post
What happened was ... The computer only booted up using the HD and not the SSD after cloning. I even cloned it again trying the Paragon Migrate OS to SSD software. No change.

There was no option showing in BIOS to change the boot from the HD to the SSD, so I marked the HD as inactive because both drives were active. When I did this, the computer couldn't find the OS for it to start up. The computer was basically dead then. All I had was the blue screen. The only option that I knew of to get it going again was to do a clean install with Win 7 disk.

That got me going again. After I marked the partition as inactive, the computer was basically dead. I am still at a nursing home recovering from surgery. I have no access to another computer here. I had no way to get back on the internet that I knew of to get to this site to ask what to do. I was dead in the water, so to speak.

I even looked for ghost drives and didn't see any that I could tell.

I have an appointment. When I get back, I'll work on the last sets of things to do.

Thank you so much for your help.
If it booted from harddisk and finds NO active partitions on that this you DON't get a blue screen! You get a message in white on black screen, something like "inpropper boot device-insert bootable media". I just tested that!

Blue screen came from a Windows 7 that started but crashed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Jan 2013   #104

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You use a eSATA-USB kit to attach dvd drive.
Yes. That is the kit that I use.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Are you booting from "USB CD/DVD" or something like that in "boot priority"?
No. Just regular CD/DVD choice.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Is normal "DVD" drive still listed in boot priority? If so select that as first boot device. Maybe it (tries) boots from SSD then. It can't because it doesn't have an active partition and no bootmanager yet.... but I want to know if it tries to.
With CD/DVD set as first in boot priority, it does the following:
with a CD/DVD in the drive kit - boots from CD/DVD
without a CD/DVD in the drive kit - boots to SSD first when boot priority order is set like this -
- Hard Drive
--- ST1000 hard drive
USB storage device
Removable Drive
eSATA
CD/DVD
- Network
--- Realtek PXE B03 DOO
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
If possible disable all other entries (temporary) in boot device priority (or called boot device order)
I don't think that I can disable any choices.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #105

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Change boot order to:

-cd first
-usb second
-esata third
-hard drive fourth

you never boot from removable floppy or network so place them on bottom of list
Save it and boot. Can you still boot from harddisk? Can you still boot from CD/DVD?

if so, eject the DVD disk. Boot. Mark SSD active. What happens EXACTLY if you boot now (write it down)?
If not booting at all boot from DVD and press shift+f10 as described earlier and mark SSD inactive again
I want to prove eSata = boot from SSD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #106

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LeftC View Post
What happened was ... The computer only booted up using the HD and not the SSD after cloning. I even cloned it again trying the Paragon Migrate OS to SSD software. No change.

There was no option showing in BIOS to change the boot from the HD to the SSD, so I marked the HD as inactive because both drives were active. When I did this, the computer couldn't find the OS for it to start up. The computer was basically dead then. All I had was the blue screen. The only option that I knew of to get it going again was to do a clean install with Win 7 disk.

That got me going again. After I marked the partition as inactive, the computer was basically dead. I am still at a nursing home recovering from surgery. I have no access to another computer here. I had no way to get back on the internet that I knew of to get to this site to ask what to do. I was dead in the water, so to speak.

I even looked for ghost drives and didn't see any that I could tell.

I have an appointment. When I get back, I'll work on the last sets of things to do.

Thank you so much for your help.
If it booted from harddisk and finds NO active partitions on that this you DON't get a blue screen! You get a message in white on black screen, something like "inpropper boot device-insert bootable media". I just tested that!

Blue screen came from a Windows 7 that started but crashed.
You are absolutely correct, I do believe. Probably was black screen with white print and not blue. I just couldn't remember exactly what it was until you just mentioned black screen and white letters/numbers. All of this that we are doing is new to me. I'm learning as I go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #107

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Listen carefully ... I think I'm going to fast(?)

On boot while you see BIOS can you press F12 to select a boot device manually? Is that possible
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #108

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Listen carefully ... I think I'm going to fast(?)

On boot while you see BIOS can you press F12 to select a boot device manually? Is that possible
You are certainly faster than me.

I can manually change the boot order with either F12 or F2. I have more info (about 4 pages of BIOS info) using F2. When I use F12, I can only change the boot order.

Dell sent me the factory media disks for this laptop today. These include the drivers and programs plus a Win 7 64bit Home Premium installation disk. Presently I'm using Win 7 64bit Ultimate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #109

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LeftC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
SSD doesn't show up in BIOS. It only shows the following (not necessarily in this order):
- Removeable Drive
- Hard Drive
--- ST1000
- USB
- CD/DVD
- eSATA
- Network

What do you use when booting from dvd? Is that option DVD or USB (you attached DVD drive on usb port?)
I use CD/DVD to boot from external CD/DVD.

I just checked the boot priority order. This is how it is set up right now. This is what it shows when you expand the hard drive and network boot selections.

It boots to the SSD at this time.

- Hard Drive
--- ST1000 hard drive
USB storage device
Removable Drive
eSATA
CD/DVD
- Network
--- Realtek PXE B03 DOO
so it tries to:
- Removeable Drive (=floppy). If it fails
- Hard Drive --- ST1000. if it fails
- USB . if it fails
- CD/DVD .if it fails
- eSATA .if it fails
- Network


How do you boot from CD/DVD. It first tries to boot from harddisk if this is really the boot order!!
And please prove it's booting to SSD now. Do it by posting disk mangement output.

How is SSD connected to motherboard? using sata cable?
Notice that the boot list that you are using said: "(not necessarily in this order)". Don't draw any conclusions from it.

This is the correct order:
- Hard Drive
--- ST1000 hard drive
USB storage device
Removable Drive
eSATA
CD/DVD
- Network
--- Realtek PXE B03 DOO
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #110

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
... How do you boot from CD/DVD. It first tries to boot from harddisk if this is really the boot order!!
And please prove it's booting to SSD now. Do it by posting disk mangement output.

How is SSD connected to motherboard? using sata cable?
See snip for disk management.

Did you see the boot order list that I gave you that had the following boot order? It is as it has been since late yesterday.

These are in the correct order.
- Hard Drive
--- ST1000 hard drive
USB storage device
Removable Drive
eSATA
CD/DVD
- Network
--- Realtek PXE B03 DOO

These were from a list and not what I am running now:
so it tries to:
- Removeable Drive (=floppy). If it fails
- Hard Drive --- ST1000. if it fails
- USB . if it fails
- CD/DVD .if it fails
- eSATA .if it fails
- Network


Attached Thumbnails
What software to use with SSD clone and for backup too? Many Choices!!-capture-computer-management-1_29_13.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What software to use with SSD clone and for backup too? Many Choices!!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: What software to use with SSD clone and for backup too? Many Choices!!
Thread Forum
Solved My way to make / backup / image / clone / of W7-64 bootdisk Backup and Restore
Need new Hard Drive, choices, choices... Hardware & Devices
How to backup (clone) a complex partition HD ? Backup and Restore
Network backup choices. Network & Sharing
Is It Possible To Clone a Windows 7 Backup? Backup and Restore
Acronis TI 2010 - Clone Or Backup Image? Backup and Restore
HDD clone software Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33