Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What software to use with SSD clone and for backup too? Many Choices!!


08 Jan 2013   #11

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You want to install fresh to ssd? You know your Windows 7 activation key? You know how to detach old drive from system (at least temporary)? You have now Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit accoording to system specs. You have an Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit installation DVD?
Please answer

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jan 2013   #12

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You want to install fresh to ssd?
If I can.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You know your Windows 7 activation key?
Yes.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You know how to detach old drive from system (at least temporary)?
I can't get to the stock HD easily with this laptop. I'd have to remove the keyboard, palm rest, etc.

Without disabling the stock HD I can't do the clean install, I believe.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You have now Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit accoording to system specs.
Oops! It is actually 64bit. The specs that you saw was for an old computer that I used to use. I have changed the specs for the laptop that I would like to modify.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You have an Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit installation DVD?
Got the 64bit installation DVD as well as the 32bit. I am using the 64bit version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #13

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I would go for the clean install myself. Heck..... I just did! No problems at all, simple and easy.....just the way I like it. Only had to install..... 3? maybe 4 drivers total.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Jan 2013   #14

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LeftC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You want to install fresh to ssd?
If I can.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You know your Windows 7 activation key?
Yes.

I can't get to the stock HD easily with this laptop. I'd have to remove the keyboard, palm rest, etc.

Without disabling the stock HD I can't do the clean install, I believe.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You have now Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit accoording to system specs.
Oops! It is actually 64bit. The specs that you saw was for an old computer that I used to use. I have changed the specs for the laptop that I would like to modify.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You have an Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit installation DVD?
Got the 64bit installation DVD as well as the 32bit. I am using the 64bit version.
So you have all the stuff needed!
Don't detach old HDD in your case, it's too difficult and not really neccesary. Boot from Windows 7 install dvd and press shift_F10 on first window as shown here Command Prompt at Startup

Now mark the partition that's current active inactive Partition - Mark as Inactive
(you can mark it active if all fails)

Reboot again normally. It should fail because boot partition went inactive. That's just what you want. Boot again form Windows 7 install DVD and install Windows 7 on SSD

Report back when done. Check for windows updates and install them (most likely you have to connect wired instead of wireless). Reboot and check for updates again and again. Now check "device manager" for devices without drivers and post results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #15

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Here are the drivers Drivers & Downloads | Dell United States (assuming it's the type you have)
You can also use Analyze System for Updates from there
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #16

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by indianacarnie View Post
I would go for the clean install myself. Heck..... I just did! No problems at all, simple and easy.....just the way I like it. Only had to install..... 3? maybe 4 drivers total.
Thanks! Simple and easy ... terrific!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #17

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LeftC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by indianacarnie View Post
I would go for the clean install myself. Heck..... I just did! No problems at all, simple and easy.....just the way I like it. Only had to install..... 3? maybe 4 drivers total.
Thanks! Simple and easy ... terrific!
Did you install succesfully? Post screenshot of "disk management" please
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #18

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
... I like Microsoft's SyncToy (Free). It's easy to use and the data is backed up on a 1 for 1 basis. It will take a while for the first backup as it has to copy it all. After that it only does the changes, so is really quick.
With SyncToy, there are left and right folders. Can one be on one drive and the other folder on a different drive? What is SyncToy's true value? I'm a bit confused.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #19

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LeftC View Post
With SyncToy, there are left and right folders. Can one be on one drive and the other folder on a different drive? What is SyncToy's true value? I'm a bit confused.
Yes, folders can be on different drives. What do you mean by "value"? Its an excellent program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #20

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LeftC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by indianacarnie View Post
I would go for the clean install myself. Heck..... I just did! No problems at all, simple and easy.....just the way I like it. Only had to install..... 3? maybe 4 drivers total.
Thanks! Simple and easy ... terrific!
Did you install succesfully? Post screenshot of "disk management" please
Sorry ... Gosh, I haven't installed it yet. I'm still reading up. I'm sorry for the confusion. indianacarnie said that it was simple and easy and that sounded good to me. I saw where you, Kaktussoft, kindly gave me directions as how to do this in post #14. Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What software to use with SSD clone and for backup too? Many Choices!!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: What software to use with SSD clone and for backup too? Many Choices!!
Thread Forum
Solved My way to make / backup / image / clone / of W7-64 bootdisk Backup and Restore
Need new Hard Drive, choices, choices... Hardware & Devices
How to backup (clone) a complex partition HD ? Backup and Restore
Network backup choices. Network & Sharing
Is It Possible To Clone a Windows 7 Backup? Backup and Restore
Acronis TI 2010 - Clone Or Backup Image? Backup and Restore
HDD clone software Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33