Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 64-bit only shows 2 Gb Ram


02 Oct 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Windows 7 64-bit only shows 2 Gb Ram

Hi, I don't understand what is going on here. I have install clean Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate it was not upgrade. And i have 4 gb (2 x 2gb) Kingston memory on 800 mhz and GTS 250 graphic card. My windows only detect 2 Gb when i go to task bar or system properties. My bios during start up shows me 4 gb and cpuz also shows me 4 gb but Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate only shows me 2 gb. I am aware that some 32 systems can't detect too much ram but this is 64-bit system. And windows also shows me that is 64-bit when i go to system properties but only shows me 2 gb of ram and i have 4 gb. Any help would be great.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Oct 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, XP Mode, W8.1 Preview VM - 7 Pro x64 second remote tower
 
 

And I thought only seeing 3.5gb out the 4gb total was bad on the 64bit 7 RC here!

Welcome to the Sevenforums! hardcoremore

You may have seen a bad install or something is seeing half of the memory installed being mapped out to hardwares real fast. The one thing I would suggest here however is running memtest to see if you have a slightly faulty dimm. While a bad dimm usually will cause errors to be seen it seems one out of the pair is unavailable in Windows for some reason.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2009   #3

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

I remember something about memory mappping in the Bios setup. I think it was in this thread.

Only 3.37GB of RAM on x64 when BIOS says 4GB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Oct 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, XP Mode, W8.1 Preview VM - 7 Pro x64 second remote tower
 
 

Some of the memory may become shared memory as seen with a 256mb, 512mb, or 1tb video card. On average with a 512mb card in here I seem to run at about the 1.39gb figure while having two IE windows open.

One way to see what isn't being accounted for would be to total up the amount of ram shown in kilobyte in the processes there as well as deducting more based on the amount of onboard memory the video card has. Note Windows itself will also reserve some memory addresses for system processes as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2009   #5

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
And I thought only seeing 3.5gb out the 4gb total was bad on the 64bit 7 RC here!

Welcome to the Sevenforums! hardcoremore

You may have seen a bad install or something is seeing half of the memory installed being mapped out to hardwares real fast. The one thing I would suggest here however is running memtest to see if you have a slightly faulty dimm. While a bad dimm usually will cause errors to be seen it seems one out of the pair is unavailable in Windows for some reason.
Hi Nighthawk

It seems that the display has changed a little bit in Windows 7 RTM -- you don't get the message any more installed RAM xxx (useable yyy) but just memory xxx

Perhaps MS did this deliberately to "obfuscate" the real issue -- don't tell users how much "overhead" etc Windows uses. - I think this is all part of the general "dumbing down" that I've posted about elsewhere.

Anyway here's two screenshots -- none of them now show the "Useable RAM" on Windows 7 RTM. (You can still of course find out the actual available RAM via Task manager).


Cheers
jimbo


Attached Thumbnails
Windows 7 64-bit only shows 2 Gb Ram-memory1.png   Windows 7 64-bit only shows 2 Gb Ram-memory.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2009   #6

 

double check MSConfig. Remove checkmark if it is there.

.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
And I thought only seeing 3.5gb out the 4gb total was bad on the 64bit 7 RC here!

Welcome to the Sevenforums! hardcoremore

You may have seen a bad install or something is seeing half of the memory installed being mapped out to hardwares real fast. The one thing I would suggest here however is running memtest to see if you have a slightly faulty dimm. While a bad dimm usually will cause errors to be seen it seems one out of the pair is unavailable in Windows for some reason.
this is most commonly due to shared memory of integrated graphics.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2009   #8

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by valtonray View Post
this is most commonly due to shared memory of integrated graphics.
If only this board had shared graphics.

Attention to detail!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2009   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hardcoremore View Post
Hi, I don't understand what is going on here. I have install clean Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate it was not upgrade. And i have 4 gb (2 x 2gb) Kingston memory on 800 mhz and GTS 250 graphic card. My windows only detect 2 Gb when i go to task bar or system properties. My bios during start up shows me 4 gb and cpuz also shows me 4 gb but Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate only shows me 2 gb. I am aware that some 32 systems can't detect too much ram but this is 64-bit system. And windows also shows me that is 64-bit when i go to system properties but only shows me 2 gb of ram and i have 4 gb. Any help would be great.
Can you go to the Windows Task Manager, performance tab, and give us a snip or screen shot?

Pls include the Physical Memory (MB) box.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, XP Mode, W8.1 Preview VM - 7 Pro x64 second remote tower
 
 

That's where I was looking when mentioning the 1.39gb taken earlier.

Good catch on the Boot>advanced options Antman! I found 4096 there. Now for a restart to see what comes up in the system properties.

And there it is! You can see the change take place immediately.


Attached Images
  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 64-bit only shows 2 Gb Ram




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33