Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Wireless Printer question


19 Jan 2013   #1

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, Win 7 Ult x86 SP1
 
 
Wireless Printer question

Someone I know is looking for a printer and wants one with wireless capability so their son can print from his laptop from anywhere in the house.

If a printer has Network connectivity (LAN port), can't it be connected to the router so anyone on the home network could use the printer?

Are there any advantages to using Wireless rather than a Wired network printer?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jan 2013   #2

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

there are a few advantages to wireless printing apart from the obvious of mobility and laptops being able to move around the house, there is the noise factor, some printers can be noisy so the printer can be put somewhere it wont disturb everyone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2013   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
Someone I know is looking for a printer and wants one with wireless capability so their son can print from his laptop from anywhere in the house.

If a printer has Network connectivity (LAN port), can't it be connected to the router so anyone on the home network could use the printer?

Are there any advantages to using Wireless rather than a Wired network printer?

I have clients who use wireless printers. That connect to the local network. they work fine.

But your best bet is to cable the printer into the router, Give it a static IP address. Install it that way, through the network.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Jan 2013   #4

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, Win 7 Ult x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
there are a few advantages to wireless printing apart from the obvious of mobility and laptops being able to move around the house, there is the noise factor, some printers can be noisy so the printer can be put somewhere it wont disturb everyone.
I didn't think of the noise factor, thanks for that.
But, for a printer to be used totally wireless, that would mean the Desktops without wireless would need to be "upgraded" to wireless, right?

And can't a wired printer be moved somewhere "remote" with a longer LAN cable from the Router to the Printer?
That way wired Desktops, and Wireless devices (Laptop) could all use the printer?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by braddersz View Post
I have clients who use wireless printers. That connect to the local network. they work fine.

But your best bet is to cable the printer into the router, Give it a static IP address. Install it that way, through the network.
I didn't think about assigning a static IP.
Thanks for that tip!

Thinking more about this, another question.
Can a printer be set up to use multiple connectivity options at the same time (always)?
Can a printer be set up for Wired Network, Wireless, and local USB connectivity?
That would offer the most flexibility, and allow any device, anytime, anywhere...?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2013   #5

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

the desktops without wireless can still connect to the printer wirelessly,
connect the printer wirelessly to the router
you have to add the router password etc just as you do when letting a laptop on your connection.
so the wired to the router desktop connects via the router and the router will send wirelessly to the printer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2013   #6

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, Win 7 Ult x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
the desktops without wireless can still connect to the printer wirelessly,
connect the printer wirelessly to the router
you have to add the router password etc just as you do when letting a laptop on your connection.
so the wired to the router desktop connects via the router and the router will send wirelessly to the printer
Ah, I didn't know that - interesting!
Thanks for that info.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2013   #7

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
Someone I know is looking for a printer and wants one with wireless capability so their son can print from his laptop from anywhere in the house.

If a printer has Network connectivity (LAN port), can't it be connected to the router so anyone on the home network could use the printer?

Are there any advantages to using Wireless rather than a Wired network printer?
Hi there

1) Printer doesn't have to sit by the router - some people have things like a LAN cable from say a SKY box plugged in to the router so they can receive programs by VOD (Video on Demand). This means usually the router is fairly near your main TV set. Do you really want to have an ugly printer sitting right next door to your main TV set. (When I'm at home relaxing in front of a TV I don't want the place to look like an office or a Computer Lab with cables and bits of hardware all over the place.

2) Printer can be moved or replaced easily without disturbing a whole load of equipment.

Printing isn't very high speed so network speed isn't an issue here -- the only other issue is of course when you want to print HUGE files. Now you'll probably do this by a Wifi LAN connection anyway so the extra speed you could get when everything (including the computer(s) are connected via LAN cable isn't an issue.

Note some printers are tricky to set up as Wireless printers and the wireless card in them doesn't always send out the strongest signal so you might not be able to set the thing up as a Wifi printer.

I certainly prefer the wireless option --anything that cuts down the number of cables in my book is worthwhile.

Note - printers can either connect via USB OR wireless -- not both at the same time - depends on your model how you set it up but you can change mode of operation at any time --read the documentation.

Another option BTW is that if the printer is connected to another computer via USB you can define it as SHARED so that provided the computer with the printer physically attached is switched on your son could print from his laptop to that anywhere in the house.

(I use a small disk/ multimedia and print server at home for just that same purpose - but I have a spare computer which I dedicated to this function - otherwise the shared printer is the simplest to get going).

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2013   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

I've never really set a printer up to print via usb AND network, It's always been one or the other.
Definetly set a static ip address though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2013   #9

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Hi there
If you have a USB attached printer to say machine A.

Your printer on another machine (say machine A) would simply be a shared printer to machines B,C,D etc.

Define printer on machine a as shared with a name Sharedprinter.

then on Machines B. C, D, etc add LOCAL printers as \\machineA.Sharedprinter
(add as LOCAL not network. - I've got an old thread here somewhere on sharing printers between Windows 7 and XP (both ways around) which will tell you exactly how to do this.

Post nr 5 (by me) in this thread. It's called XP to Windows 7 but it's valid for any printer sharing.
There's also an explanation of how to do it if your printer is on the network as a static IP address too. (I.e on the router and NOT connected to any computer - note though for a printer you'll have to get the router to assign it a STATIC IP address -- don't assign the address via DHCP).

XP to 7 Printer sharing

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2013   #10

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, Win 7 Ult x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there
If you have a USB attached printer to say machine A.

Your printer on another machine (say machine A) would simply be a shared printer to machines B,C,D etc.

Define printer on machine a as shared with a name Sharedprinter.

then on Machines B. C, D, etc add LOCAL printers as \\machineA.Sharedprinter
(add as LOCAL not network. - I've got an old thread here somewhere on sharing printers between Windows 7 and XP (both ways around) which will tell you exactly how to do this.

Post nr 5 (by me) in this thread. It's called XP to Windows 7 but it's valid for any printer sharing.
There's also an explanation of how to do it if your printer is on the network as a static IP address too. (I.e on the router and NOT connected to any computer - note though for a printer you'll have to get the router to assign it a STATIC IP address -- don't assign the address via DHCP).

XP to 7 Printer sharing

Cheers
jimbo
This is how they have the printer setup now, and with a new printer they want to be able to print from another device (laptop) without needing to have PC A running because it is physically connected via USB and shared. That's why they want wireless.

I found one that caught my eye because it is on sale now with $200 off, a Canon MF8080Cw.
It's a monster at > 50 lbs., but seems to have everything including wireless, color printing, and ADF.

Newegg.com - Canon Color imageCLASS MF8080Cw 5119B001 MFC / All-In-One Up to 12 ppm 2400 x 600 dpi Color Print Quality Color Wireless Laser Printer

I'll research this one a bit more and see if i can find any negatives rather than suggest it.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!
David
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Wireless Printer question




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Wireless Printer question
Thread Forum
Need help with wireless printer Hardware & Devices
Lap Top & Wireless Printer Network & Sharing
Computer isnt seeing wireless printer when trying to add "New Printer" Network & Sharing
Wireless and printer Network & Sharing
HP wireless printer. Hardware & Devices
printer question Hardware & Devices
Just hello and an odd printer question Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33