Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: CPU Upgrade Thoughts

21 Jan 2013   #1
Apprentrice5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit (Service Pack 1)
 
 
CPU Upgrade Thoughts

Not sure if im posting in the correct place here, correct if im wrong.

But as the tittle suggest, im thinking about upgrading my CPU, hopefully to a quad core and was looking at the:

AMD Phenom x4 965 Edition, as i believe it will be compatible with my mother board, but while i was browsing the web i noticed the AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 is a AM3+socket. now my question is would that be compatible with my board?

Asus M44A88t-M

If any one can help then i thank you in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Jan 2013   #2
Leon

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

No, that will not be compattible. The board you have is a AM2 socket board, with other words the cpu won't fit. You have to search for a board with a AM2 socket, but if you still want a FX cpu you need to change your board to a AM3+. I have the 8 core cpu on a am3+ board, but its worth it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2013   #3
Apprentrice5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit (Service Pack 1)
 
 

That's what I thought you were gonna say, was just checking though. I would love to do a full board and CPU upgrade but unfortunately am unable to raise the funds for that until about August, and would really like a quad core for now until I can. Any opinion on the 965?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jan 2013   #4
Erick Aguilar

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

I would wait. AM2 is getting phased out in the near future so your upgrading spectrum will be destroyed, and AM3+ is showing a very promising roadmap. So.. waiting to upgade would be worth it instead of buying things out of excitement.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2013   #5
essenbe
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 X64
 
 

I agree with Erick Aguilar. If you are planning an upgrade in the near future, the 965 will be a waste of your money. Save the money you were going to spend on the 965 and maybe you can do the upgrade sooner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2013   #6
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Apprentrice5 View Post
Not sure if im posting in the correct place here, correct if im wrong.

But as the tittle suggest, im thinking about upgrading my CPU, hopefully to a quad core and was looking at the:

AMD Phenom x4 965 Edition, as i believe it will be compatible with my mother board, but while i was browsing the web i noticed the AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 is a AM3+socket. now my question is would that be compatible with my board?

Asus M44A88t-M

If any one can help then i thank you in advance.
Official CPU support list for M4A88T-M:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- CPU Support M4A88T-M

There are AM3 CPUs on the list, but not AM3+.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2013   #7
Leon

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
I would wait. AM2 is getting phased out in the near future so your upgrading spectrum will be destroyed, and AM3+ is showing a very promising roadmap. So.. waiting to upgade would be worth it instead of buying things out of excitement.

I also agree. save your money now, and do a cpu and motherboard upgrade. if it helps, i have sold and installed many upgrade kits for my customers, ( its a little hobby of mine ) In the netherlands you buy an AMD board with a fx cpu and 8GB of quick HyperX memory in one pakkage for about 260 euro, that's about 310 pounds. All my clients are pleased with it, but it depends what you are doing with your computer

Good luck with it, and ask again for help on making your decision.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2013   #8
Erick Aguilar

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
I would wait. AM2 is getting phased out in the near future so your upgrading spectrum will be destroyed, and AM3+ is showing a very promising roadmap. So.. waiting to upgade would be worth it instead of buying things out of excitement.

I also agree. save your money now, and do a cpu and motherboard upgrade. if it helps, i have sold and installed many upgrade kits for my customers, ( its a little hobby of mine ) In the netherlands you buy an intel board with a fx cpu and 8GB of quick HyperX memory in one pakkage for about 260 euro, that's about 310 pounds. All my clients are pleased with it, but it depends what you are doing with your computer

Good luck with it, and ask again for help on making your decision.
Are you sure they are happy with an Intel motherboard that is incompatible with an AMD CPU?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2013   #9
Apprentrice5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit (Service Pack 1)
 
 

Thanks for the help guys greatly appreciated, will wait till i have more moeny and will do a complete upgrade. also last night i remembered my motherboard has a core unlocker utility, and now have the quad core i wanted without spending a penny

Thanks for the help again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2013   #10
Leon

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
I would wait. AM2 is getting phased out in the near future so your upgrading spectrum will be destroyed, and AM3+ is showing a very promising roadmap. So.. waiting to upgade would be worth it instead of buying things out of excitement.

I also agree. save your money now, and do a cpu and motherboard upgrade. if it helps, i have sold and installed many upgrade kits for my customers, ( its a little hobby of mine ) In the netherlands you buy an intel board with a fx cpu and 8GB of quick HyperX memory in one pakkage for about 260 euro, that's about 310 pounds. All my clients are pleased with it, but it depends what you are doing with your computer

Good luck with it, and ask again for help on making your decision.
Are you sure they are happy with an Intel motherboard that is incompatible with an AMD CPU?
Corrected, my mistake, of course it has to be the same...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 CPU Upgrade Thoughts




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
VPN thoughts?
Hello all. as a security concious user i am considering a VPN service like this one https://www.ipredator.se/ (came highly recommended) You guys here seem much smarter than me and i would love to hear your thoughts, here are my reasons for considering this solution I live in the UK where...
System Security
Any Thoughts
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3 GHz Socket AM3 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor CM Storm Scout + Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W Modular PSU *Special Offer Bundle* Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 880G Socket AM3 ONboard...
Hardware & Devices
Just my thoughts
I just started using 7 and installed 7100 because I wanted to go with something more official and something that would have more support from others who have already installed it. I hear that the leaked RTMs cannot be activated or something which was another reason I just avoided going higher...
General Discussion
Win 7 thoughts.
Just installed Win7 RC yesterday and must say that I'm enjoying using it a lot more than when I first installed Vista (SP1). There aren't any annoying little bugs in the GUI and windows explorer is set out really well. I especially like the new user directory working with the libraries and sub...
General Discussion
just my thoughts....
Im sure im not the only one that is getting fed up at the over exaggerated microsoft bashing especially vista on 95% of forums etc....one thing i have noticed is the ppl flaming windows 7 that clearly havent even used it..grrr!!!!! i also think that many ppl bashing vista probably havent used that...
Chillout Room

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:00.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App