Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Changed PSU,when connected 24pin,no power

29 Jan 2013   #11
Tsunamijhoe

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
The Motherboard in question should atleast admit a beep of some sort when it has power
if there was no beep there is something wrong the connections are secure the next step he can try it in another rig

and see if he can get it started if not i would think the PSU doesn't have enough power and he needs to replace it with something that can
OK,if you would just read my previous posts instead of only reading the very last post,you would understand the predicament,and not suggest something that has been tried and testet.

Please understand, there is NOTHING wrong with the psu,the psu works on 2 other computers,it works when tested with multimeter. The psu in question does however NOT work with the gigabyte mainboard,which is why i am confused,as it should work fine unless mainboard is fried.

I can get psu fans and everything to spin if i short pin9 and a groundwire,but as soon as 4pin 12v atx and 24pin power is connected to mainboard nothing happens,not a single beep or anything


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Jan 2013   #12
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Have you tried bridging the ATX terminals whilst the connector is plugged in, as I described above? Another thing to try is to disconnect the reset switch from the front panel header, just in case there is a fault with it and it is constantly holding the motherboard's reset line to ground.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #13
Tsunamijhoe

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Have you tried bridging the ATX terminals whilst the connector is plugged in, as I described above? Another thing to try is to disconnect the reset switch from the front panel header, just in case there is a fault with it and it is constantly holding the motherboard's reset line to ground.
OK, this is beginning to freak me out. I pulled the mainboard (gigabyte),hooked it up to my brand new corsair 750GS,and mainboard lit up like a xmas tree,cpu fan began spinning,and so on,so mainboard works.

However, if i connect the same board to the northq psu,nothing again happens.

Now, if i bridge pin 9 and a black ground,i get psu fan spinning. If is use a multimeter and test the cables,i get 5v where 5v should be,i get 12v where 12v should be,i get -12v volt,i 3,5v , so why the hell doesnt this psu work with my gigabyte board?
I have no front cables attached,i tried to short the mb pins manually to simulate power button,nothing happens, but this worked on the corsair psu,so something is definitly wrong..

Also,if i connect the "faulty" psu back to the asus mainboard the asus work fine,you see why i am confused?
It is very strange.

*UPDATE*

AHA,i tried your suggestion with the bridge over green to black while connector is attached to mainboard,and it worked, motherboard lighted up,cpu fan began spinning,and fan on psu also spun.

So,what is wrong,and how can i fix it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Jan 2013   #14
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

I have found that some power supplies just don't work with some motherboards. Good PSU.....good motherboard........but they just won't work together. It happens, and I wouldn't try to make it work, just put another psu on that motherboard and make sure you make a mental note about them not working together.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #15
bassfisher6522

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Sounds like a faulty plug on the PSU. Personally I've never heard of that brand and wouldn't use it. I would send it back and get one from the top 5 makers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #16
Tsunamijhoe

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
I have found that some power supplies just don't work with some motherboards. Good PSU.....good motherboard........but they just won't work together. It happens, and I wouldn't try to make it work, just put another psu on that motherboard and make sure you make a mental note about them not working together.
Really? That sounds kinda strange. This psu provides ALL the designed power to the correct connectors,so that makes no sense it shouldnt work, that is like saying it is the will of god,which i refuse to believe :-).. Anything has an explanation, you just have to look hard enough.

And by your logic,there is no guarentee a new psu would work anyhow,which is what standards are for,to make sure stuff fit together

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Sounds like a faulty plug on the PSU. Personally I've never heard of that brand and wouldn't use it. I would send it back and get one from the top 5 makers.
then why have this psu worked flawlessly with 2 asus boards?

But, something is clearly going on with this psu, i just would like to know what,and why
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #17
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tsunamijhoe View Post
*UPDATE*

AHA,i tried your suggestion with the bridge over green to black while connector is attached to mainboard,and it worked, motherboard lighted up,cpu fan began spinning,and fan on psu also spun.

So,what is wrong,and how can i fix it?
I wonder if those terminals aren't making good contact with each other (that is, the PS_ON# terminal in the PSU connector and the corresponding pin in the motherboard socket. What happens if you try turning the computer on with the normal power switch whilst waggling the green wire?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #18
Tsunamijhoe

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tsunamijhoe View Post
*UPDATE*

AHA,i tried your suggestion with the bridge over green to black while connector is attached to mainboard,and it worked, motherboard lighted up,cpu fan began spinning,and fan on psu also spun.

So,what is wrong,and how can i fix it?
I wonder if those terminals aren't making good contact with each other (that is, the PS_ON# terminal in the PSU connector and the corresponding pin in the motherboard socket. What happens if you try turning the computer on with the normal power switch whilst waggling the green wire?
I cant "jimmy" the start sequence,i have tried. i tried manually shorting the front header power switch connectors while fiddling with the 24pin connector,and every wire seperatly,i cant get it to start..

Should i just take this as a "loss" and throw this thing out,and buy a new one?

I am still curious though as to why this doesnt work
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #19
Erick Aguilar

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tsunamijhoe View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
The Motherboard in question should atleast admit a beep of some sort when it has power
if there was no beep there is something wrong the connections are secure the next step he can try it in another rig

and see if he can get it started if not i would think the PSU doesn't have enough power and he needs to replace it with something that can
OK,if you would just read my previous posts instead of only reading the very last post,you would understand the predicament,and not suggest something that has been tried and testet.

Please understand, there is NOTHING wrong with the psu,the psu works on 2 other computers,it works when tested with multimeter. The psu in question does however NOT work with the gigabyte mainboard,which is why i am confused,as it should work fine unless mainboard is fried.

I can get psu fans and everything to spin if i short pin9 and a groundwire,but as soon as 4pin 12v atx and 24pin power is connected to mainboard nothing happens,not a single beep or anything
If you do not know if the mainboard is fried, I cannot understand why won't you test another PSU on the motherboard, NOT the PSU, test the motherboard with another PSU. I don't get why that is so hard to understand.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #20
Tsunamijhoe

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tsunamijhoe View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
The Motherboard in question should atleast admit a beep of some sort when it has power
if there was no beep there is something wrong the connections are secure the next step he can try it in another rig

and see if he can get it started if not i would think the PSU doesn't have enough power and he needs to replace it with something that can
OK,if you would just read my previous posts instead of only reading the very last post,you would understand the predicament,and not suggest something that has been tried and testet.

Please understand, there is NOTHING wrong with the psu,the psu works on 2 other computers,it works when tested with multimeter. The psu in question does however NOT work with the gigabyte mainboard,which is why i am confused,as it should work fine unless mainboard is fried.

I can get psu fans and everything to spin if i short pin9 and a groundwire,but as soon as 4pin 12v atx and 24pin power is connected to mainboard nothing happens,not a single beep or anything
If you do not know if the mainboard is fried, I cannot understand why won't you test another PSU on the motherboard, NOT the PSU, test the motherboard with another PSU. I don't get why that is so hard to understand.
I DID ALREADY,with my corsair GS700,mainboard works fine
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Changed PSU,when connected 24pin,no power




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Laptop crashes with black screen when connected to AC power
Hello all, I am using a dell studio xps 1645 with ati mobility radeon HD5730 inbuilt. Problem i have been facing past few weeks is that my laptop screen is going black and is crashing a few minutes after booting up when i connect to ac power. I did a few diagnostic tests. It is working...
Graphic Cards
Wireless router is connected, no internet access, power surge?
This has probably been asked but I couldn't find anything directly relating to my problem. Last week, I lost my internet, called my ISP, and it was a problem with the modem. They replaced the modem and since then my wireless router has not worked. I assume I had a power surge that blew both the...
Network & Sharing
Power button in start menu changed to log off automatically?
power button in start menu changed to log off automatically i can't change to shut down in start menu properties there is only switch user,log off,lock options pleeeeease help:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: I also did a system restore
General Discussion
By 2014, less than 20% of devices connected to the Internet will power
By 2014, less than 20% of devices connected to the Internet will powered by Windows | ZDNet
News
DVD drive loses power as IDE is connected
This is a sort of double post as the issue has changed from a bios/ installation thing to... ehh I don't know. So I was swapping drives to make sure my drive wasn't shot and I plugged the power into the DVD drive first and it green lighted and started spinning. Then I plugged the IDE cable in...
Hardware & Devices
Can the power,network & sound icons be changed just like the start orb
We can change the start orb, thats easy :p, but can we also change those other taskbasr icons? :geek:
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App