Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows detected a HD problem


29 Jan 2013   #1

Windows 7 64 bit Pro
 
 
Windows detected a HD problem

Hi, I am using a Dell AIO PC: Inspiron One 23 WLED Touch Screen PC.

I keep getting this pop-up saying "windows detected a hard disk problem" from windows. I also get a warning from in DOS from Dell saying Hard disk problem. I've attached two screen shots of the software used. The HD is a SG 1 TB.

Prior to that, the machine came with 3 partitions (2 usable, 1 system restore) and no problems. I decided to remove all the installed crap, delete all partitions and make just one partition and reinstall everything again. Here is when I got the error problem.

When I try SG SMART test, the test just freezes there. Did the long test and updated the HD firmware as well. The long test was fine. Firmware installation was fine as well.

Is this really a imminent HD failure?



Attached Images
  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Jan 2013   #2

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

You need more help than I can give but I would immediately start backing up your data files to an external hard drive or at least to dvd's just in case. Better safe than sorry! Hopefully someone with more knowledge of your problem will come along soon. Is this machine still under warranty?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

A few clarifications required since I am wondering whether you used Seagate's SeaTools for DOS at all.

1. What is that SG Smart Test? Is there a program like that? Wherefrom did you download it?

2. You said you had deleted all partitions and did a clean install. Then what and wherefrom is that DOS from DELL?

3. What prompted you to update the firmware? I am just curious since no one will update the firmware unless there is a positive indication or recommendation that that particular model's firmware needs to be updated to remove any known bug/s. Can you just post the link from where you downloaded the firmware or any such recommendation?

I have an eye on that particular DELL AIO.. So naturally I am more curious.

If you hadn't run the manufacturer's SeaTools for DOS, do run it and check your HDD. In particular, I would recommend that you run the "Full Erase" in the Advanced features and then a clean install. SeaTools for DOS tutorial

In answer to mitchell65's post above:It appears to be a brand new machine so I do believe it is within warranty. Most probably the OP feels that he has voided the warranty with the clean install and firmware upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Jan 2013   #4

Windows 7 64 bit Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
You need more help than I can give but I would immediately start backing up your data files to an external hard drive or at least to dvd's just in case. Better safe than sorry! Hopefully someone with more knowledge of your problem will come along soon. Is this machine still under warranty?
Nothing important on it so that is fine.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
A few clarifications required since I am wondering whether you used Seagate's SeaTools for DOS at all.

1. What is that SG Smart Test? Is there a program like that? Wherefrom did you download it?

2. You said you had deleted all partitions and did a clean install. Then what and wherefrom is that DOS from DELL?

3. What prompted you to update the firmware? I am just curious since no one will update the firmware unless there is a positive indication or recommendation that that particular model's firmware needs to be updated to remove any known bug/s. Can you just post the link from where you downloaded the firmware or any such recommendation?

I have an eye on that particular DELL AIO.. So naturally I am more curious.

If you hadn't run the manufacturer's SeaTools for DOS, do run it and check your HDD. In particular, I would recommend that you run the "Full Erase" in the Advanced features and then a clean install. SeaTools for DOS tutorial

In answer to mitchell65's post above:It appears to be a brand new machine so I do believe it is within warranty. Most probably the OP feels that he has voided the warranty with the clean install and firmware upgrade.
1. Downloaded it from SG. The SG windows software. There is a S.M.A.R.T. test in that. Also there is a firmware upgrade in that as well, so I just followed it. There was an important firmware update for the HD.

2. I get a message which looks like in DOS mode from dell saying Hard disk failure. Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup disk.

I've changed the HD with my previous desktop HD. WD Caviar black 2TB. Works well now. Unfortunately the machine is out of warranty. Bought it Oct 2010.

This Dell AIO is basically a 23" WLED touchscreen with computer bits mounted at the back. It comes with a Media center remote, HDMI in, RGB in, some wireless transmitter for cable in and TV in. Speakers are ok as well.

I would not buy this AIO pc in future or any of the same design. I believe HP also makes this kind of AIO where the stuff are all mounted at the back. There is no cooling for the HD and I think that was one of the reason why the HD failed. It was housed in a metal casing and no cooling. There is cooling for the CPU. If you are planning to backup a lot of stuff, make sure the PC is in a cool room to help with the cooling. There is no mesh cutout at the HD and dell relies on holes at the top for air.

If you are in a AIO I suggest the Lenovo ideacentre A720 as that has a base where the computer stuff are kept and a LCD mounted. It also offers better viewing angles compared to the Dell which is limited with a stand. In fact I am seriously considering AIO pc for my next build as a AIO takes care of the PC bit, comes with a webcam, the LCD bit and takes care of the tv and also can handle games and become the steam box. The integrated graphics are ok enough for casual steam games.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2013   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that this particular AIO was one of the recent product released with Windows 8.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2013   #6

Windows 7 64 bit Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that this particular AIO was one of the recent product released with Windows 8.
No, this one comes with Windows 7. However Dell, HP use the same design for their W8 versions. Best is to put W8 on this as the touch screen is nice. I for one hate smudges on my own monitor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows detected a HD problem




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows detected a HD problem
Thread Forum
windows detected a hard drive problem Hardware & Devices
Windows detected a hdd problem. Hardware & Devices
Windows Detected a hard disk Problem Backup and Restore
Problem .. Iphone 4 not being detected by the windows Hardware & Devices
windows detected a hard disk problem. Please help! General Discussion
Problem with installation, saying no drivers detected windows 7 Installation & Setup
Windows has detected a hard disk problem Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33