Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problem with USB port


06 Oct 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Problem with USB port

I am having another problem with one of USB ports. I was transferring files from my desktop to a Dandisk 8GB Cruzer Flash drive when after the transfer a message poped up on my desktop that said "UNKNOWN DEVICE" I went into device manager and there was a yellow exclamation mark next to UNKOWN DEVICE listed under the serial bus controller. I checked the properties of this unkown device and under the general tab it says device status: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). It says Device Type: Universal Serial Bus Controller. Location: Port_#0006. Hub_#0004 This problem has never ever happened to me before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't even know if I am posting this in the right place.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Oct 2009   #2

Windows Seven x64
 
 

Did this happen while you were transferring files or when you plugged the USB drive in??

If this happened while you were transferring files it could be a driver issue but I am not certain... Have you plugged this USB drive in before and has it work??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Hello,
The UNKOWN DEVICE pop up happened after I was done downloading the files. I always make sure to EJECT the drive before removing it from the USB port. I went into device manager and tried to update the driver but windows says the driver currently installed is OK. This has never happened to me EVER with any release of windows I have ever used. But this is the first time I have ever used a 64 bit version. I tried doing a search on Google about "USB Error 43" and there seem to be a lot of issues with 64bit Windows 7 and the exact problem I am describing.

Thanks,
Vince
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Oct 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Timewarpone View Post
Hello,
The UNKOWN DEVICE pop up happened after I was done downloading the files. I always make sure to EJECT the drive before removing it from the USB port. I went into device manager and tried to update the driver but windows says the driver currently installed is OK. This has never happened to me EVER with any release of windows I have ever used. But this is the first time I have ever used a 64 bit version. I tried doing a search on Google about "USB Error 43" and there seem to be a lot of issues with 64bit Windows 7 and the exact problem I am describing.

Thanks,
Vince
Vince

does the usb driver have a yellow triangle on it? is there any other "unknown" devices with yellow triangles? Error 43 seems to be a comman one with macs, what computer are you running?

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2009   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I am truly dumbfounded!!! I just went into device manager to answer your question and everything seems OK now. There is no UNKNOWN DEVICE and no warnings anywhere. I tried putting the flash drive into the same USB port and it is working fine now. I really don't know what to say because I didn't knowingly do anything to correct the situation and I am the only one who uses this computer. Oh Well.

Thanks For your help,
Vince
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #6

win XP/Win7
 
 

I had the same problem with Win 7 RC and now with the full version of Win 7 Home edition. It started when I loaded music to my ipod shuffle. I'm not to worried about it, I'm sure it'll get fixed soon. I will post if I find a fix for it. This is the only problem or bug that I experienced so far, except for my ATT Yahoo DSL that won't let me load the MCaffy Free virus suite and the ATT Self repair tool that won't recognize the new OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #7

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mabecane View Post
I had the same problem with Win 7 RC and now with the full version of Win 7 Home edition. It started when I loaded music to my ipod shuffle. I'm not to worried about it, I'm sure it'll get fixed soon. I will post if I find a fix for it. This is the only problem or bug that I experienced so far, except for my ATT Yahoo DSL that won't let me load the MCaffy Free virus suite and the ATT Self repair tool that won't recognize the new OS.
From your first post, and this last one, I conclude it only happens with file transfers, right?

It maybe a power problem.
How many other usb devices are connected to the computer?

Do you use USB hubs?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I don't use a USB Hub. my computer has 10 usb ports and I use 6 of them. 2 on the front of my case and 8 in the rear of my case. It was one of the front ones I was having the problem with. I have an Asus P5K-E Mother Board. My case has an Antec 500 Watts Earthwatts Power Supply which is less than 6 months old. Your right about it only happening after a file transfer. This problem might be the OS not fully compatible with my hardware. I have the 64bit windows 7 Ultimate. Maybe fixes are on the way as we report problems or concerns on forums like this. I hope Microsoft reads some of the many posts on this forum.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #9

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Timewarpone View Post
I don't use a USB Hub. my computer has 10 usb ports and I use 6 of them. 2 on the front of my case and 8 in the rear of my case. It was one of the front ones I was having the problem with. I have an Asus P5K-E Mother Board. My case has an Antec 500 Watts Earthwatts Power Supply which is less than 6 months old. Your right about it only happening after a file transfer. This problem might be the OS not fully compatible with my hardware. I have the 64bit windows 7 Ultimate. Maybe fixes are on the way as we report problems or concerns on forums like this. I hope Microsoft reads some of the many posts on this forum.
Just for testing remove all other USB devices and do a file transfer.

See what happens.

If the problem doesn't occur, it might be a power issue.
(too many USB devices draining power from the same internal USB host controller)

If that's the case, try switching some of the devices to other ports (other internal USB host controller)

You can see the power consumption on a host controller in device management.

Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I found a review on New Egg about someone having my problem with windows 7 and a similar Asus Motherboard.

" Not all features run under Windows 7
- Limited number of internal USB headers
- Internal USBs seem to be underpowered, very flackey. USB devices randomly dissapear with "Unknown Device" error"

It seems like a lot of people are having USB problems with "Unkown Device Error" apperaing and disappearing at random. (Do A Search On Google) Mine was reading "Unknown Device" yesterday in device mamager and today there was no "Unknown Device" message in device manager. This has been going on ever since I installed windows 7. I never had this problem with XP or Vista. I made no alterations or changes of any kind. I still have not found a fix to this problem and by the looks of it, neither has anyone else.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problem with USB port




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Problem with USB port
Thread Forum
USB port problem Hardware & Devices
Sata Port Multiplier Problem. Drivers
Dual Monitor DVI port problem Graphic Cards
USB Port Problem Hardware & Devices
Port problem since 7 Network & Sharing
IE 8 and port 80 problem Browsers & Mail
Problem in Opening Port System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33