Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.

Windows 7: filling a totally empty DELL T3400

13 Feb 2013   #1
vangogh

filling a totally empty DELL T3400

I have just been given a DELL T3400 tower with NO HDs and NO OS files/discs. So I can't establish the specs, although I know there are 4 RAM sticks, former owner ran CAD prgs, very quick, so these must be 4G total at least. Liquid cooling installed. TP412 mobo, 500W PSU.

I want to install a SSD 128 for system and WW7 Pro - but 32-bit? 64-bit? (The case has a Vista Business sticker with key but no discs. And SATA II or III drives OK?

Will appreciate your comments

Don G.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2013   #2
Erick Aguilar

Windows 7 professional X64

You should be able to see the name of the motherboard on the motherboard, look it up so you can see if it's sata ii and iii compatible, but both sata will work with eachother really.

As for the version of windows it doesn't matter, the motherboard might have an activation hash, but nothing a clean install can't take care of.
13 Feb 2013   #3
pebbly

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit

Hi vangogh, Welcome to the forums ,Here is a good place to start Drivers & Downloads | Dell United States this will tell you what is required hardware wise for drivers

13 Feb 2013   #4
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Little reason to consider 32 bit at this point, especially if the computer may have 4 GB of memory.
13 Feb 2013   #5
roy69

Windows 7 64bit home premium

I would always advise 64bit, just because of the upgrade path.
The max amount of memory for this system is 8GB 800Mhz DDR2
Intel X38 Express Chipset/ICH9R
Processors avail
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processors
Intel Core 2 Quad processors
Intel Core 2 Extreme processors

It looks like SATA 1 but here is the manual so you can check for yourself
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/ug/ug_en.pdf
13 Feb 2013   #6
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
Liquid cooling installed.
Really? that didn't come from Dell, I imagine.
15 Feb 2013   #7
vangogh

cooling - I don't suspect so - but it was installed before I got it. Original owner "had it installed when ordered".
15 Feb 2013   #8
vangogh

Bought a SSD . now to install it.

I could prepare the SSD on my XP comp with SATA, or do it when installing the OS. Which is better? Can someone give me a link on the OS/SSD install method please?
16 Feb 2013   #9
pebbly

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit

16 Feb 2013   #10
vangogh

Thank you, P - will check these out shortly

EDIT:
Wow... will print these out and study. I'm literate, but realize I have so much more to know, especially with WW7 and SSD things to learn. Will close this, if that's OK, when I've followed through all the way.

Don G. / vangogh

filling a totally empty DELL T3400