Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need help buying RAM

19 Feb 2013   #11
jimpz

Win 7 Pro
 
 

What everyone is basically saying is get the 2gb*2 (or 4gb*2) of what Crucial or any other site recommends.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Feb 2013   #12
mangoh

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mangoh View Post
P.S. I think you're missing my point... I've done the whole Crucial thing... They don't offer 2x2GB or 2x4GB RAM.
It doesn't matter what they sell or don't sell. Their site is the resource to use to find out what your laptop is capable of accepting, and then you go price shop elsewhere.

If Crucial says it takes 2 GB, then I wouldn't try putting any more in it than that. In the future, don't get snippy with people who don't want to do your work for you. Shouting that you want a direct link is just telling us you are too lazy to be bothered to do your own thinking. There is not exact one memory type for your computer. As others have mentioned, you take the specs Crucial gives you, and you price shop for yourself. If you don't want to spend 5 minutes reading and learning all you need to know about buying memory, then take your laptop to a shop and pay them to do it for you. Buying memory is actually very easy...provided you are willing to spend the 5 minutes in reading what you need to learn. 5 minutes is all it takes. You spent more time getting snippy with those trying to help you.
I disagree just because Crucial says not to put 2GB in it doesn't always mean that you should follow what they say. Most of the time I agree but crucial and so many other sites has it wrong with the max RAM a Dell Inspiron 1501 can support. Also if you take note I did not shout about it first as I only used caps in response to what a previous post had already said. It's not about being lazy but I just wanted some good quality advice without the expense of going into a shop... Afterall I thought that is what SF is for. I don't have time for people who can't be bothered to read the thread, sorry and if you are not willing to help then please leave my thread.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimpz View Post
What everyone is basically saying is get the 2gb*2 (or 4gb*2) of what Crucial or any other site recommends.
+rep thanks for being polite about it. However the issue I have is what bit am I meant to be looking from on crucial so I could possibly research it myself.

"Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2" ???

So what do you think I should look for DDR2 RAM? Surely that's too vague so is the PC2-5300 the important part?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2013   #13
Emoclaw

Windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post

If Crucial says it takes 2 GB, then I wouldn't try putting any more in it than that.
Every link I searched on google leads me to threads like this, and about 90% of answers are: "I'm running Dell Inspiron 1501 with 4GB of Ram" Maybe Crucial/Dell says it only supports up to 2GB because it's default OS is 32 bit? If I were in a situation like this and wanted to upgrade my ram I'd listen to the community as, to me, they are more trusworthy than the manufacturers, Actually what's the risk?You get warranty and money-refund warranty.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Feb 2013   #14
mangoh

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Emoclaw View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post

If Crucial says it takes 2 GB, then I wouldn't try putting any more in it than that.
Every link I searched on google leads me to threads like this, and about 90% of answers are: "I'm running Dell Inspiron 1501 with 4GB of Ram" Maybe Crucial/Dell says it only supports up to 2GB because it's default OS is 32 bit? If I were in a situation like this and wanted to upgrade my ram I'd listen to the community as, to me, they are more trusworthy than the manufacturers, Actually what's the risk?You get warranty and money-refund warranty.
That's the way I look at it or Dell has failed to test RAM higher than 2GB in some machines for w/e reason? Time saving most likely. Crucial probably just follow the spec that Dell advertises as do many other websites so a lot of reviews say it supports 2GB RAM maximum... Only if Dell had the correct info in the first place...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2013   #15
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mangoh View Post
I disagree just because Crucial says not to put 2GB in it doesn't always mean that you should follow what they say. Most of the time I agree but crucial and so many other sites has it wrong with the max RAM a Dell Inspiron 1501 can support. Also if you take note I did not shout about it first as I only used caps in response to what a previous post had already said. It's not about being lazy but I just wanted some good quality advice without the expense of going into a shop... Afterall I thought that is what SF is for. I don't have time for people who can't be bothered to read the thread, sorry and if you are not willing to help then please leave my thread.?
Now it is you who is missing the point. You kept spouting (different than shouting...doesn't need caps) that you wanted a direct link. First off, most of us go by what Crucial says because they do their own testing. They are the authority on such matters. I'm not going to link you to 4 GB of memory if Crucial says 2 GB is the max. Our job is to give good advice, not suggest risks. Second, you didn't need a direct link because you were given the info needed. As I said before, buying memory is very simple. You have a laptop, so obviously you need laptop memory. Crucial gave you the slots and capacity. You also say the DDR type and speed supported. DDR2-5300. Now you take that info to Newegg or wherever you like to buy your computer products and price compare on the available options. It is really that simple. No need to ask people for direct links when you can easily do that yourself.

Now, as others have said, some communities mention 4 GB working in that laptop. It's possible, I guess, but I still wouldn't put much faith in it considering what Crucial says. There is a chance that your laptop had several revisions for your motherboard, and maybe some work and some don't. You won't hurt anything if try to put 4 GB in, but if you do return, you may be hit with a 15% restocking fee on non-damaged items, depending on where you bought it from.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2013   #16
mangoh

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
First off, most of us go by what Crucial says because they do their own testing. They are the authority on such matters. I'm not going to link you to 4 GB of memory if Crucial says 2 GB is the max. Our job is to give good advice, not suggest risks. Second, you didn't need a direct link because you were given the info needed. As I said before, buying memory is very simple. You have a laptop, so obviously you need laptop memory. Crucial gave you the slots and capacity. You also say the DDR type and speed supported. DDR2-5300. Now you take that info to Newegg or wherever you like to buy your computer products and price compare on the available options. It is really that simple. No need to ask people for direct links when you can easily do that yourself.

Now, as others have said, some communities mention 4 GB working in that laptop. It's possible, I guess, but I still wouldn't put much faith in it considering what Crucial says. There is a chance that your laptop had several revisions for your motherboard, and maybe some work and some don't. You won't hurt anything if try to put 4 GB in, but if you do return, you may be hit with a 15% restocking fee on non-damaged items, depending on where you bought it from.
+rep thanks for your help as I now understand what to do... The bit in bold helped me the most.

Much appreciated
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2013   #17
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mangoh View Post
Much appreciated
Now you got it. No one was trying to be unhelpful, it's just that by price shopping, you can find a better deal. I can almost always find Crucial memory cheaper than Crucial.com's price...or other brands, like Kingston, Corsair, Patriot...the list goes on. As long as you are armed with the specs...then you can buy anywhere.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2013   #18
indianacarnie

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mangoh View Post
Much appreciated
Now you got it. No one was trying to be unhelpful, it's just that by price shopping, you can find a better deal. I can almost always find Crucial memory cheaper than Crucial.com's price...or other brands, like Kingston, Corsair, Patriot...the list goes on. As long as you are armed with the specs...then you can buy anywhere.
Exactly! I saved $50.00 by using Crucials tool then buying from TigerDirect. Same manufacturer, same pieces but $50.00 cheaper.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2013   #19
Joan Archer

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/Windows 10 64bit
 
 

I didn't bother going anywhere else when I wanted more RAM for my Notebook. I just did the Crucial scan and it told me I had 2 slots with a 4GB stick in one of them and I could put another 4GB stick into the other slot making a total of 8GB of RAM. As the machine was running Win8 64bit I knew it would use the extra, if it had been a 32 bit machine I would have just left it at the 4GB it came with.

As that 4GB stick was only just over 14 + postage I just ordered from Crucial even though the stick that it came with was Kingston they are both the same spec and work perfectly together.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2013   #20
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Joan Archer View Post
As that 4GB stick was only just over 14 + postage I just ordered from Crucial even though the stick that it came with was Kingston they are both the same spec and work perfectly together.
Sometimes you can be fortunate and have two different sticks work fine together, and sometimes you can be unfortunate and end up with an unstable system. I don't like taking that risk, but if it works, it works.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need help buying RAM




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Buying a SSD for later use
I am thinking about getting the 840 EVO for later use when the new computer I will be getting needs a clean iinstall. Sadly, my budget has decreased and I will not have enough money for buying neither a PC from a boutique builder or build it myself. I may just go with the XPS 8700 which is at the...
Hardware & Devices
Buying some RAM
Hi again, A friend of mine asked me to update his incredibly sluggish computer, and it's obvious for me that he needs significantly more RAM than he has right now. The said computer has two slots, being one occupied with a 1GB stick. My question is, should I buy a 2x1GB stick or a 2GB stick...
Hardware & Devices
Help with buying ram.
I am planning to buy 4gb additional ram. My motherboard is Gigabyte M68MT-S2. Does following rams are compatible with this motherboard. 1.Transcend DDR3-1333 DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (JM1333KLN-4G)Transcend DDR3-1333 DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (JM1333KLN-4G): Flipkart.com 2.Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 4 GB PC RAM...
Hardware & Devices
Buying new SSD
I have a Toshiba L505 64bit with windows 7 and 8gb of Ram . I was thinking of getting an SSD , maybe a samsung 830 .(256gb) I have approximately 84% free space . I do not store videos or photos , just run my web site and make daily changes . Any thoughts would be appreciated !!
Hardware & Devices
Need help buying GPU
I am currently interested in replacing my current GPU which is a multimedia graphics card for a gaming graphics card. I am in search for something that is just enough for my system hardware (exceptions Power Consumption, Size of GPU, Card Slot, all these are not important right now hahaha)....
Graphic Cards
Buying PS3 used
My local Gamestation does Pre-owned Ps3s (The older fat type)Some 40Gb models,Some 80Gb models quite cheap...one i seen was only 99 for the 40Gb model. Ive been wanting to pick up a PS3 for ages now for Blu-Ray and games like GTA IV to run properly but dont really want to splash out 249 for a...
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App