Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Ivy Bridge IHS

15 Mar 2013   #31
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
May be Gary. I know of someone else on OCN that had the same thing happen and Intel RMA'd it for him. I thought that was just a fluke, but maybe not.
Ye Steve would have been nice to see a pic of it when it was opened eh? even so I still reckon it was lucky.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Mar 2013   #32
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

I wonder if that is why Intel implemented the $25 CPU OC'ing insurance? As far as I know, that started with Ivy Bridge.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2013   #33
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
May be Gary. I know of someone else on OCN that had the same thing happen and Intel RMA'd it for him. I thought that was just a fluke, but maybe not.
Ye Steve would have been nice to see a pic of it when it was opened eh? even so I still reckon it was lucky.
Is this what you wanted John?

Ivy Bridge IHS-z.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Mar 2013   #34
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Two things amaze me about this thread. First...how or why anyone would ever decide to remove the IHS from a processor, especially an expensive, current one. I've made keychains out of old, dead processors...but I can't understand why anyone would do that.

As for RMA, why the argument over the word and it's usage? Acronyms don't need to be pronounceable words, and in fact, many are not. They are made up of the first letter of a longer title, for example, CIA. Does anyone actually try to pronounce that as a word?
Acronym - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Furthermore, this is an internet forum. If proper English was a requirement, no site like this would exist anymore. If some want to use RMA as a verb to shorten the description of the process, why rant about it? Manufacturer's use it as a verb, so it isn't just computer forums. Intel and Patriot have both recently instructed me to RMA their products in trying to solve a major system issue.

Yes, I'm saying this mostly in jest, but I'm sure we can find something better to argue about, right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2013   #35
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Two things amaze me about this thread. First...how or why anyone would ever decide to remove the IHS from a processor, especially an expensive, current one. I've made keychains out of old, dead processors...but I can't understand why anyone would do that.

As for RMA, why the argument over the word and it's usage? Acronyms don't need to be pronounceable words, and in fact, many are not. They are made up of the first letter of a longer title, for example, CIA. Does anyone actually try to pronounce that as a word?
Acronym - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Furthermore, this is an internet forum. If proper English was a requirement, no site like this would exist anymore. If some want to use RMA as a verb to shorten the description of the process, why rant about it? Manufacturer's use it as a verb, so it isn't just computer forums. Intel and Patriot have both recently instructed me to RMA their products in trying to solve a major system issue.

Yes, I'm saying this mostly in jest, but I'm sure we can find something better to argue about, right?
Did, done, and over.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2013   #36
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Two things amaze me about this thread. First...how or why anyone would ever decide to remove the IHS from a processor, especially an expensive, current one. I've made keychains out of old, dead processors...but I can't understand why anyone would do that.

As for RMA, why the argument over the word and it's usage? Acronyms don't need to be pronounceable words, and in fact, many are not. They are made up of the first letter of a longer title, for example, CIA. Does anyone actually try to pronounce that as a word?
Acronym - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Furthermore, this is an internet forum. If proper English was a requirement, no site like this would exist anymore. If some want to use RMA as a verb to shorten the description of the process, why rant about it? Manufacturer's use it as a verb, so it isn't just computer forums. Intel and Patriot have both recently instructed me to RMA their products in trying to solve a major system issue.

Yes, I'm saying this mostly in jest, but I'm sure we can find something better to argue about, right?
And yet here you are arguing. And your link contradicts you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2013   #37
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
And yet here you are arguing. And your link contradicts you.
My link confirms my point...just look at the examples. HTML is another. Acronyms aren't always said as words. If so, I'm going to walk into my bosses office today and refer to her as a cufo...since that must be the way to say CFO.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2013   #38
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
And yet here you are arguing. And your link contradicts you.
My link confirms my point...just look at the examples. HTML is another. Acronyms aren't always said as words. If so, I'm going to walk into my bosses office today and refer to her as a cufo...since that must be the way to say CFO.
HTML isn't an acronym; it's an initialization.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2013   #39
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

If you insist on splitting hairs, fine, then so be it, if you really need to argue semantics to that level. However, I did go ask two of our PR writers, and both laughed at the question...yet both said there's really no differentiating...and to call something like HTML an acronym is no incorrect.

But then again, if you need to argue a point like this online, I'd suggest a hobby, a mate...something else to occupy your time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2013   #40
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
If you insist on splitting hairs, fine, then so be it, if you really need to argue semantics to that level. However, I did go ask two of our PR writers, and both laughed at the question...yet both said there's really no differentiating...and to call something like HTML an acronym is no incorrect.

But then again, if you need to argue a point like this online, I'd suggest a hobby, a mate...something else to occupy your time.
Pot, meet kettle.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Ivy Bridge IHS




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Asrock h61-vg4 (ivy bridge & ddr3 1600 / sandy bridge & ddr 1333)
Hi all, Just wanted to post this for anyone experiencing boot issues with the ASROCK H61-VG4. SPEC ASROCK H61-VG4 Celeron G1620(P0) Ivy Bridge 2.7GHz (1155 IVYBRIDGE / CHIPSET) RAM 4GB 1333MHz 1TB Samsung spinpoint F3
Hardware & Devices
Sandy bridge or Ivy Bridge you decide :)
Hi I am about to purchase new motherboard and Processor and I require some opinion whether I should buy Sandy bridge or Ivy Bridge. As far as I know Ivy is having some overheating issue and that for me is worrying fact since I want to overclock my processor. Furthermore if I do buy Sand Bridge...
Hardware & Devices
Ivy Bridge 3570k Vs Sandy Bridge 2500k
1st question: Well ive heard that Ivy bridge boost 20% performance and huge in GPU. I dont need Built in GPU. Ivy has integrated USB3.0, PCI 3.0 and thunderbird. Is it really worth to wait for the new Ivy Bridge i5 3570k? versus i5 2500k?
Hardware & Devices
Intel Ivy Bridge Is 20% Faster Than Sandy Bridge, Rumors Say
Sounds like Intel will give some upgrade possibilities this time around. Source...
News
HELP W7 & CS4 Bridge
Hi I've just installed W7 Ultimate & when I try opening a photo in CS4 Bridge it opens it in "Firefox" & non of the listed programmes are CS4. I don't know where to look or even what to look for to fix this. Can someone help me. Thanks, lassie :cry: :cry:
General Discussion
I need a new bridge!
So, I was putting in new fans today and I decided to clean my case, so I removed my video cards, and the bridge from them Crossfire setup. I stepped on the bridge and it snapped! Where can I get another one that supports the Sapphire 4770? :cry:
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App