Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: CD drive no longer available

07 Oct 2009   #1
Razgriz panavia

Windows 7 64bit/Ubuntu 10.04 32bit/Linux Mint 9 64bit
 
 
CD drive no longer available

Hello people, I would like help in resolving a problem that I have. I am currently using windows 7 RC version 7127 32bit version. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 7520 with AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core's.

My problem is that my DVD drive is nolonger listed in My Computer, it will not detect anything I put in, but the drive is still powered as it will open, and it will spin the disc. I have checked the Bios to see whether my drive is listed, but I find nothing no such model number for my Drive, apart from one entry which is a huge blank space and then "(SM)". The drive is also not listed in the device manager, I'll be getting my full version of Windows 7 soon and so want to be able to install it. I don't know how it came to be like this, as far as I'm aware it was working up until 1 week ago when i tried to burn a CD but failed because It couldn't find the drive.

Please help, many thanks in advance


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Oct 2009   #2
Razgriz panavia

Windows 7 64bit/Ubuntu 10.04 32bit/Linux Mint 9 64bit
 
 

Can anyone help with my problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #3
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Razgriz panavia View Post
Hello people, I would like help in resolving a problem that I have. I am currently using windows 7 RC version 7127 32bit version. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 7520 with AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core's.

My problem is that my DVD drive is nolonger listed in My Computer, it will not detect anything I put in, but the drive is still powered as it will open, and it will spin the disc. I have checked the Bios to see whether my drive is listed, but I find nothing no such model number for my Drive, apart from one entry which is a huge blank space and then "(SM)". The drive is also not listed in the device manager, I'll be getting my full version of Windows 7 soon and so want to be able to install it. I don't know how it came to be like this, as far as I'm aware it was working up until 1 week ago when i tried to burn a CD but failed because It couldn't find the drive.

Please help, many thanks in advance
Boot into BIOS and make sure the drive is listed and checked. If it isnt listed in bios it may not be a software problem but rather something hardware related

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Oct 2009   #4
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Razgriz panavia View Post
Hello people, I would like help in resolving a problem that I have. I am currently using windows 7 RC version 7127 32bit version. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 7520 with AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core's.

My problem is that my DVD drive is nolonger listed in My Computer, it will not detect anything I put in, but the drive is still powered as it will open, and it will spin the disc. I have checked the Bios to see whether my drive is listed, but I find nothing no such model number for my Drive, apart from one entry which is a huge blank space and then "(SM)". The drive is also not listed in the device manager, I'll be getting my full version of Windows 7 soon and so want to be able to install it. I don't know how it came to be like this, as far as I'm aware it was working up until 1 week ago when i tried to burn a CD but failed because It couldn't find the drive.

Please help, many thanks in advance
It sounds like the drives controller has gone dead.

One thing you might try, is to unscrew the one screw holding the cd drive in place on the bottom of the laptop, and slide the drive out.
Slide it back in again and see in the bios if the drive is now recognized.

If it isn't you need to buy a new one. Luckily they are about $35.

Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #5
Antman

 

Search your registr for UpperFilters and LowerFilters. Delete the entries.

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #6
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
Search your registr for UpperFilters and LowerFilters. Delete the entries.

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs
Hi Antman,

The OP mentioned the drive is not (properly) recognized in the BIOS.

Greetings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #7
Antman

 

"but I find nothing no such model number for my Drive, apart from one entry which is a huge blank space and then "(SM)". "

I am misinterpreting this.

You are right about reseating the drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2009   #8
Razgriz panavia

Windows 7 64bit/Ubuntu 10.04 32bit/Linux Mint 9 64bit
 
 

Thanks for all your replies, The one about the upper and lower filters I have seen before, and I couldn't find those filters. The drive is also not listed in the boot selection screen (when you hit F12 on bios). I will try and resit the drive now and see if that works. Thanks for your helps

Edit: Since removing the drive, the bios entry has since disappeared and now displays none, I have tried reseating the device, but to no success, I guess I'll have to invest in a new drive and see whether that will work. like I said, the drive still operates, it's just my laptop can't see the thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2009   #9
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Razgriz panavia View Post
Thanks for all your replies, The one about the upper and lower filters I have seen before, and I couldn't find those filters. The drive is also not listed in the boot selection screen (when you hit F12 on bios). I will try and resit the drive now and see if that works. Thanks for your helps

Edit: Since removing the drive, the bios entry has since disappeared and now displays none, I have tried reseating the device, but to no success, I guess I'll have to invest in a new drive and see whether that will work. like I said, the drive still operates, it's just my laptop can't see the thing.
The servo and mechanics are still working.
The adapter interface is broken.

Goog luck on buying a new drive.

Edit: lets just hope it is not your internal controller
I had several cases where the solder on the pins of the internal controller card had let lose.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 CD drive no longer available




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
PC no longer boots to c: drive ??
I have multiple HDDs in my box...the main Win 7 Pro installation is on c: drive - a Samsung SSD 840 128GB. Some how...the boot menu setup changed...did noting I'm aware of tto cause the change...but apparently one of the HHD's has a Win XP Pro cloned drive...thought is was simply a backup of my...
Installation & Setup
Flash drive no longer recognized
I just plugged a flash drive into my stand-alone DVD player to listen to music. I came back to comp and it is not recognized.:mad: Tried all different USB ports. Not showing in Dev Mgr. I thought it might have failed, so went back to my DVD player and it is fine.:confused:
Hardware & Devices
CD drive no longer reading
What would cause a CD drive to be unable to read a CD it used be able to. Its DVD. Its driver working but may not be newest and the CD won't read shows it being half full but can't get to files how ever it reads other CDs fine. For sure it read just fine before dunno went Web site no new CD...
Hardware & Devices
DVD Drive no longer available
My LG Dvd drive is no longer available under My Computer. It isnt even in the Device Manager. I have re-installed my chipset drivers even, and still no help. Anyone else recommend any actions to fix this?
Hardware & Devices
After install the DVD drive no longer works
Hi there, I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I am working on a Sony Vaio VGN-CS11S/Q and I have recently installed Windows 7 on the machine. The install itself was routine with no problems, however, once completed I wanted to install a game, I popped the disc in the drive and...
Hardware & Devices
Do we really need a DVD Drive any longer?
Howdy Folks, After a recent reinstall of Windows, I realized that I don't install anything from CD except Windows. Aside from burning ISOs, I don't use my DVD drive for anything. I'm wondering if as we move more and more into grabbing programs from the web and cloud based applications if...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:44.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App