Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Connect HDD from DVD player to PC externally

17 Mar 2013   #11
RealGem

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pbcopter View Post
My experience with DVRs is they use a file system that is not compatible with Windows.
I would Google your model.
Thanks, but if the file types are not mentioned in the manual, where else are they likely to be published other than a pdf?

it's not under anything like:
LOGIK LDVR808 DVD HDD RECORDER files
LOGIK LDVR808 DVD HDD RECORDER file
LOGIK LDVR808 DVD HDD RECORDER file type
LOGIK LDVR808 DVD HDD RECORDER uses files


I'm only getting what files it PLAYS on a DVD.

thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Mar 2013   #12
RealGem

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Also, I just thought:

If I do connect the drive to my PC successfully, and the file types are not compatible with Windows, will it matter, if I just burn a DVD?

Won't the newly burned DVD be able to make sense of the files?

thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2013   #13
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

i would think putting the files on a disc will just create duplicate files but on a dvd. unless they can be converted which is possible to work out if we knew the file type
have you considered buying a cheap second hand one and swapping the hardrive, i see on ebay there is one going for £35 but you have to collect in person ,
however others may come up,
there is a 250gb one for sale on amazon for £59
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Mar 2013   #14
RealGem

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
i would think putting the files on a disc will just create duplicate files but on a dvd. unless they can be converted which is possible to work out if we knew the file type
have you considered buying a cheap second hand one and swapping the hardrive, i see on ebay there is one going for £35 but you have to collect in person ,
however others may come up,
there is a 250gb one for sale on amazon for £59
Thanks, that is an idea, but the amazon is not a dvd recorder so no use.

The ebay one is in Cornwall. I am in Wales. It drives me nuts when people are too lazy to box things up. How much effort is it to send a parcel when the buyer pays all costs? An item is up to 12 times more likely to sell if the seller offers delivery. Clearly most people don't know this.

But I will save a search for future reference, thanks.

Does anyone know if those USB IDE kits I linked to earlier are suitable?

thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2013   #15
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

co- incidentally i am in cornwall, and have a friend lives at the same location as the ebay one,
im sure if you purchased it i could have it collected and get it posted to you,
we can work the postage out somehow.
i dont know if a dock or enclosure would work as i have no experience with ide drives
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #16
RealGem

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Thanks for the kind offer but I will wait til another one comes up. I got this one off Ebay. They were a popular model.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #17
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RealGem View Post
Does anyone know if those USB IDE kits I linked to earlier are suitable?
That sort of adapter should be OK. I've never used one, but I have no reason to believe that there are any problems with that type. They obviously are intended for short-term use, but that's ideal for your purposes.

If the file structure on the drive isn't one that Windows recognizes, copying the files off it might not be simple.

On the other hand, years ago I needed to archive a bunch of data that was on 3.5" floppies (!) from an old HP microcomputer. Very much not "IBM compatible", as they used to write. Fortunately, I found a utility that would read the floppies on an ordinary high density floppy drive. Only took me half a day to go through the lot. Maybe you'll be able to find a utility that allows you to mount and read the disk from Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #18
RealGem

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RealGem View Post
Does anyone know if those USB IDE kits I linked to earlier are suitable?
That sort of adapter should be OK. I've never used one, but I have no reason to believe that there are any problems with that type. They obviously are intended for short-term use, but that's ideal for your purposes.

If the file structure on the drive isn't one that Windows recognizes, copying the files off it might not be simple.

On the other hand, years ago I needed to archive a bunch of data that was on 3.5" floppies (!) from an old HP microcomputer. Very much not "IBM compatible", as they used to write. Fortunately, I found a utility that would read the floppies on an ordinary high density floppy drive. Only took me half a day to go through the lot. Maybe you'll be able to find a utility that allows you to mount and read the disk from Windows.
ok thanks a lot Bobkn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #19
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

let us know how you get on, with any luck the filetype will be mpeg2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Connect HDD from DVD player to PC externally




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Webserver cannot be accessed externally
Hi All. I am running a webserver with IIS, and I have setup the site binding settings as follow: http 10.0.0.253 80 Now my hosting PC's LAN IP is 10.0.0.253. I can access my webserver from any of my PC's on the LAN via the local ip, but when I use the External WAN router IP, or my...
Network & Sharing
Connect my pc to a Samsung Blue-Ray DVD player
I have connect my pc to the Samsung player using an ethernet cable to the pc and blue-ray. It then displays devices on the tv it shows my pc and users. When I hit enter on the Blue-Ray to access the PC I get this message. Request cannot be completed. MEDIA PLAY will be returned to the main screeen
Network & Sharing
Connect media player on PC homegroup
Hello I'm new to windows 7 and i want some help. I have one apacher 460 media player which i would like to connect on my homegroup so that i can stream movies from my pc. Can anybody help me to setup both pc and media player?
Network & Sharing
I can't connect to internet by using the VMWare Player.
My host system is 64-bit Windows 7 RTM. And I installed the vmware player 2.5.2. The virtual system is the 32-bit Windows 7 RTM. But the virtual system can't connect to internet, the connect type is "NAT". I also try to use the other two mode, it also can't connect to internet. Does anybody know...
Virtualization
error whenever i connect my mp3 player
ok this started last week. Whenever i plug in my generic mp3 player i get an error that says svchost.exe- no disk then it reads there is no disk in the drive. please insert disk into drive \device\harddisk1\DR1 then i can click cancel try again or continue in i click any of those i get the same...
Software
error whenever i connect my mp3 player
ok this started last week. Whenever i plug in my generic mp3 player i get an error that says svchost.exe- no disk then it reads there is no disk in the drive. please insert disk into drive \device\harddisk1\DR1 then i can click cancel try again or continue in i click any of those i get the same...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App