Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Ram problem


28 Mar 2013   #1

win 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 
Ram problem

Just done a new build, I installed 4*2gb ram(1333 non ecc 9,9,9,24), seen an offer on the web of my local retailer for 2*4gb of crucial ballistix sport(1333 non ecc 9,9,9,24). Installed in the first 2 ddr slots next 2 * kingston hyper blu, making a total of 12GB ram instead of the previous 8 GB. Well it didnt seem to work too well together, few crashes etc. Looked in easy tune which is the gigabyte hardware monitor and the hyper blu ram was showing 4 memory frq timings whereas the crucial was showing 3.
Returned to retailer he tested said ram was fine, i argued it was not working in my system. Explainmore later on that
So at 3pm(uk) installed the crucial 2*4 gb ram by itself, and it has run fine, i have been out for a few hours and left pc playing a dvd, no crashes,stalls or anything since got back in. Go back into easytune and it still shows 3 memory freq timings.
Now the tech guy at retailer said i would have to manually input the latency and my argument is i shouldnt have to. So i went into bios and clicked off the auto and selected expert(this isnt with the 2 crucial sticks) but when you goto click on the latency, its all greyed out and you cannot change the auto setting which is showing. So im assuming when i go into bios for the 2 crucial sticks the situ will be the same.
So problem is how do i get the 2 crucial sticks to work with either 2*kingston sticks or 2*corsair value sticks. As its a pointless exercise buying the 8gb and not having an increase in memory size.
I dont want to buy any more ram, and i think them memory timings has got something to do with the issues created, but what do i know?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Mar 2013   #2

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Hi kingscurate,

Let me start by saying it's not advisable to mix different brands of ram, as they are not always compatible with each other.

Also, I am not sure from your description as to whether you have the ram in the correct slots, for example you should have the 2x sticks of Crucial ram in the 2 Blue slots on the motherboard or the 2 white/grey slots not one in each colour.

Try putting both the Crucial in the blue slots and 2 of the Kingston in the white/grey slots, see if that improves things.


Do you have CPUz installed on your PC? This will be able to tell you the timings everything is currently running at in Windows. (See my pic)
Make sure this ties in with the timings the ram should be running at.

Edited to add: Also with Sandybridge and Ivybridge, it is normal to run with amounts of ram such as 8GB, 16GB, 32GB.
12GB is not a normal amount so I don't know whether that might cause some issues too. Maybe not, but worth mentioning.

Paul.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #3

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

I agree with Paul I get mine in "kits' as they are more likely to be evenly matched, and yes same brands too..

if you want some good RAM info the try the G Skill forum it is all memory related and Tradesman is tops.
Welcome to the G.SKILL TECH FORUM
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Mar 2013   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Just pull the Kingston ram and set aside for sale, or another build later. the 8gb of Crucial is fine and then later you can consider a purchase of another set of same Crucial's if desired or needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #5

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Simple rules to live by when it comes to ram.

1. Always used match ram by the same manufacture, part number, speed and volts.

2. Always break out the motherboard manual and install the ram as per that manual.

2. If you want to spend your time chasing in circles forget rules 1 and 2.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #6

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Simple rules to live by when it comes to ram.

1. Always used match ram by the same manufacture, part number, speed and volts.

2. Always break out the motherboard manual and install the ram as per that manual.

2. If you want to spend your time chasing in circles forget rules 1 and 2.
Absolutely Bear just about what I said and that forum I quoted is about as good as advice gets - there is and are too much personal preferences in here to be honest and it all just get too flipping confusing. I mean the fellow or me for that matter - (not my style what there is of it) is / are not out to sell G Skill he just knows RAM inside out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2013   #7

win 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Thanks for the input lads, Normally i would use same brand ram in systems, but as the crucial ram was on such a good offer, i couldnt refuse. I will try blue/blue grey/grey scenario as i just needed confirmation on that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2013   #8

windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Such type of problem occurs due to different types of RAM. You should install same manufacturer RAM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2013   #9

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kingscurate View Post
Thanks for the input lads, Normally i would use same brand ram in systems, but as the crucial ram was on such a good offer, i couldnt refuse. I will try blue/blue grey/grey scenario as i just needed confirmation on that.
Another point I should make about the Ram being in the same colour slot per pair of ram sticks.

Say you only have 2 ram sticks and you put one in each coloured ram slot on the motherboard, the ram will only run in single channel mode and lose a considerable amount of performance.

If they are both in the blue slots it will run in dual channel mode and run at full speed.


Paul.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2013   #10

win 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paulpicks21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kingscurate View Post
Thanks for the input lads, Normally i would use same brand ram in systems, but as the crucial ram was on such a good offer, i couldnt refuse. I will try blue/blue grey/grey scenario as i just needed confirmation on that.
Another point I should make about the Ram being in the same colour slot per pair of ram sticks.

Say you only have 2 ram sticks and you put one in each coloured ram slot on the motherboard, the ram will only run in single channel mode and lose a considerable amount of performance.

If they are both in the blue slots it will run in dual channel mode and run at full speed.


Paul.
Good point
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Ram problem




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33