Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.

Windows 7: Problem with SSD and HD together, DELL T3400

04 Apr 2013   #21
VistaKing

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

I'm not locating any issues with A14 version of the bios but its your choice not to upgrade .

My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2013   #22
vangogh

Advice: "Take a look at the link below

Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk"
Then in that link re option 1 & 2 is the warning that data can be lost. As I mentioned, I have 1 GB of data there. I think I will keep the disk as is, on the XP comp, and get a new one for the T3400.

Thanks everyone for your time and kind help.
Van_go
04 Apr 2013   #23
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8

1GB of data should be easy to back up - just in case. But normally the data should not be altered - at least I cannot recall reports about that from previous users of pw422.

05 Apr 2013   #24
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint

With your drive connected to the XP machine, copy the data to an external hard drive. Then use the suggestions by WHS and connvert the disk to a simple/basic partition with PW422, reconnect it to the Windows 7 machine and copy the data back.
05 Apr 2013   #25
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8

Steve I think he made up his mind. He is not going to bother. I am still puzzled how that one partition could have ended up as dynamic.
05 Apr 2013   #26
vangogh

I certainly am considering just getting a new HD for this. But also turning over in my mind the backup and conversion to simple/basic.

Still: Vista King: "You could do is Mark the SSD drive as active and remove the active from the XP drive inside XPs device manager"

I'm sorry, I can't figure that one out - how is it possible to mark the disk not active? Don't see a way.
05 Apr 2013   #27
vangogh

05 Apr 2013   #28
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint

The SSD is already marked active.

WHS, probably because it is a Dell. They, in many cases, have 3 partitions on them some of them are hidden. So, adding a couple of more will cause disk management to ask to make it dynamic. If you don't know the difference, you'd probably do it and not even think about it, if you didn't know what a dynamic drive is.
05 Apr 2013   #29
essenbe

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
I certainly am considering just getting a new HD for this. But also turning over in my mind the backup and conversion to simple/basic.

Still: Vista King: "You could do is Mark the SSD drive as active and remove the active from the XP drive inside XPs device manager"

I'm sorry, I can't figure that one out - how is it possible to mark the disk not active? Don't see a way.
Yes, you can do that easily with Partition wizzard or diskpart. But, I think your problem is the dynamic drive and not which is active. I have 2 active drives in my rig now, and it causes me no problems.
05 Apr 2013   #30
essenbe

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Steve I think he made up his mind. He is not going to bother. I am still puzzled how that one partition could have ended up as dynamic.
I'm puzzled on why a dynamic partition on another drive would keep your SSD from booting.

Problem with SSD and HD together, DELL T3400