Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: [Q] power supply upgrade


07 Apr 2013   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service pack 1
 
 
[Q] power supply upgrade

hello all i have a emachines w3619 with a ecs 945gct-m3 mobo and was wanting a power supply upgrade.....my mobo is weird though because as you can see in the picture i have two spots for the extra 4-pin connector or so i think....anyways i was wanting to upgrade the psu for a new powerful graphics card so any advice to upgrade will be appriciated




Attached Thumbnails
[Q] power supply upgrade-mobo.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Apr 2013   #2

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

I would get a download copy of the manual for this MB from the ECS website to verify what all the connections are used for. Plus some MFG computer cases do not always fit the standard replacement PSU's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2013   #3

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Your motherboard has a 24 pin ATX power connector, plus a 4 pin +12V CPU power connector.

It looks like your system may have been built using a 20 pin ATX power plug, leaving 4 disused pins in the connector. (That's OK, as long as the system is getting enough power.)

An industry standard ATX power supply, with 24 pin ATX (often 20+4, for native use in either 20 or 24 pin ATX boards) and a 4 pin +12V connector, ought to be OK electrically.

I can't find whether one would fit in the eMachines case, but from some eBay listings, looks like it ought to.

Just out of curiosity, why are you upgrading the PSU?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Apr 2013   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Your motherboard has a 24 pin ATX power connector, plus a 4 pin +12V CPU power connector.

It looks like your system may have been built using a 20 pin ATX power plug, leaving 4 disused pins in the connector. (That's OK, as long as the system is getting enough power.)

An industry standard ATX power supply, with 24 pin ATX (often 20+4, for native use in either 20 or 24 pin ATX boards) and a 4 pin +12V connector, ought to be OK electrically.

I can't find whether one would fit in the eMachines case, but from some eBay listings, looks like it ought to.

Just out of curiosity, why are you upgrading the PSU?
Well I want a better PSU because I want a graphics card so I can play games on my PC but most recommend a good 400 watt supply and I have like a 180 watt supply, so yea that's why
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2013   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I would get a download copy of the manual for this MB from the ECS website to verify what all the connections are used for. Plus some MFG computer cases do not always fit the standard replacement PSU's.
And I looked for a manual but could not find a free one
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2013   #6

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Can you measure the outside dimensions of your current PSU case ?


Here is the basic
Dimensions 5.9" x 3.39" x 5.51" of a standard PSU


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2013   #7

Windows 7 64 bit SP1
 
 

Do you have any idea what graphics card you are thinking about? That would help.

How many auxiliary PCI-E power connectors will the graphics card need? I expect 2 so you will want to get a PSU that has 2 PCI-E power connector. Usually than means more power - around 500W.

With 1 graphics card you probably will not need more than 450W on the 12V. Especially if you don't overclock.

Here are some good ones:

If only 1 6 pin PCI-E connector is needed, 430W:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

If 1 six pin + 1 6+2 pin:

430W:
SeaSonic S12II 430B 430W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com
520W:
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

2 6+2 pin:
450W
Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-450 450W Continuous @ 50C, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active - PFC Power Supply - Retail - Newegg.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2013   #8

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crazymonkey05 View Post
Well I want a better PSU because I want a graphics card so I can play games on my PC but most recommend a good 400 watt supply and I have like a 180 watt supply, so yea that's why
Do you have a particular graphics card in mind?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2013   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crazymonkey05 View Post
Well I want a better PSU because I want a graphics card so I can play games on my PC but most recommend a good 400 watt supply and I have like a 180 watt supply, so yea that's why
Do you have a particular graphics card in mind?
Well I was hopeing on this one would be good to stick in my pc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2013   #10

Windows 7 64 bit SP1
 
 

Any of the PSU I listed above should do. I don't think that card even requires a PCI-E auxiliary power. But you won't be able to play many modern games with it if that is what you are looking for.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 [Q] power supply upgrade




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: [Q] power supply upgrade
Thread Forum
Want to upgrade video card, do I need a power supply? Graphic Cards
Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply Hardware & Devices
power supply Hardware & Devices
Power Supply Upgrade/Problem Hardware & Devices
power supply General Discussion
What Power Supply Should I Use? Hardware & Devices
power supply upgrade question Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33