Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Going From 3GB RAM to 8GB RAM HELP!

13 Oct 2009   #11

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I got the memory part of it down but I would like to know does my computer have an extra port for a video card? I opened it up for the first time last night and I saw what I thought to be a pci-e port with nothing in it. Also im upgrading to windows 7 professional x64 hope most of my software is compatible

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Oct 2009   #12

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bubbabvi View Post
I got the memory part of it down but I would like to know does my computer have an extra port for a video card? I opened it up for the first time last night and I saw what I thought to be a pci-e port with nothing in it. Also im upgrading to windows 7 professional x64 hope most of my software is compatible
If you opened up your case and you see a PCI express slot open then yes you will be able to add whatever card you like.
One word of caution, HP set ups use a smaller cheaper PSU and you may not have the power to drive the card which will damage your system severely.
HP's normally configure their systems at 300-350 watts.
regards,
Adrian
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #13

 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Oct 2009   #14

Windows Vista Ultimate
 
 

32-bit can only utilize 3GB, in some cases 4. If you want the OS to take full advantage of all 8 gigs, you NEED to install 64-bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #15

Windows 8 Professional
 
 

if you go to crucial.com you can run a scan on your machine that will tell you slots available for RAM aswell as maximum amount able to be inserted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #16

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

OK well I already know the ram that I need now and I have upgraded to 64-bit already the only thing now is the graphics card. Someone said my pc may not have enough power? It says it runs on 300 watts. would that be enough to run this card?
Galaxy - NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express Graphics Card - BB94GFE8HDFEXX
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #17

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Also could I run that video card on a 64-bit OS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #18

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

that would be the last thing i would need to know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #19

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bubbabvi View Post
OK well I already know the ram that I need now and I have upgraded to 64-bit already the only thing now is the graphics card. Someone said my pc may not have enough power? It says it runs on 300 watts. would that be enough to run this card?
Galaxy - NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express Graphics Card - BB94GFE8HDFEXX
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bubbabvi View Post
Also could I run that video card on a 64-bit OS?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bubbabvi View Post
that would be the last thing i would need to know.

Your graphics card choice will depend on what you are planning on using it for, heavy gaming, Video, etc.

Also the limits of your PSU, to help you decide look at this The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 See how many watts you really need.

All cards will work on a 64bit OS, the main limitations are the connection type and power requirements.

In my opinion for that price range and power consumption you can likely find a better one. Check around.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2009   #20

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Going From 3GB RAM to 8GB RAM HELP!




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33