Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New Computer not powering on,is it because of not powerful enough PSU?

01 Jun 2013   #11
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by uilymmot View Post
well yea... the power supply seemed to be defective as in really defective... when I bridged the pins the 4th time the power supply just blew up, literally, thanks for all your help here
As I said, the PSU is garbage. I want to help you select a new PSU.

Can you order from PC Case Gear? Or, where can you order from?

How much would you be able to spend?

Finally: will you ever have a video card that's better than the 7770? If so, then what might you get?

For now with your system with the 7770 in it, all that you need is a good quality-made 350-400W PSU (and this is overkill).

Here's a list of PSUs that I recommend from PC Case Gear that are all under $100.

If you can spend more than this, then please say so because there are better PSUs to recommend that cost more, but are worth it.

You'll notice that I didn't recommend any Corsair PSUs from PC Case Gear. This is because for under $100, this is all they have:
  • VS350
  • VS450
  • CX430 V3
  • VS550
  • CX430M (semi-modular)
  • CX500 V3
  • VS650
  • CX500M (semi-modular)
  • CX600
  • GS600
  • CX600M
The problem is that all of these are inferior to the PSUs I found and recommended above. The ones I recommended are designed to be able to deliver their rated wattage continuously (24/7) up to an internal PSU temperature of 50C. This is due to a good build quality combined with good Japanese Capacitors rated for 105C. All of the Corsair units that are listed here can only deliver their rated wattage continuously up to an internal PSU temperature of 30C due to cheap capacitors rated up to 85C. The only exception is the GS600 which can go up to 40C, but the caps are still not as good as the caps in the PSUs I am recommending. To add insult to injury, the GS600 is $99.00! That's very overpriced, especially when you consider that you can get the modular 520W Antec High Current Gamer for $97.00, and also considering that you don't need anything more than a good ~350W PSU!

I used to like Corsair, but it looks to me like all they're trying to do these days is make as much money as possible. I mean, I bet that these PSUs cost them a lot less to manufacture than the ones I am recommending due to the lower quality of parts inside, yet they're all at very similar prices to the ones I'm recommending (except for the first 3 Corsair units there)! Figure that one out. lol


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Jun 2013   #12
uilymmot

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by uilymmot View Post
well yea... the power supply seemed to be defective as in really defective... when I bridged the pins the 4th time the power supply just blew up, literally, thanks for all your help here
As I said, the PSU is garbage. I want to help you select a new PSU.

Can you order from PC Case Gear? Or, where can you order from?

How much would you be able to spend?

Finally: will you ever have a video card that's better than the 7770? If so, then what might you get?

For now with your system with the 7770 in it, all that you need is a good quality-made 350-400W PSU (and this is overkill).
I think you missed the point of this thread, also its not for my build with a 7770 but a new build altogether, also i got a new PSU and everything is fine now for the new build.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #13
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

Was the point of this thread telling everybody how you blew up your old PSU by jiggering around with it and a screwdriver? If not, then I think you missed the point of posting in a forum and asking for advice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Jun 2013   #14
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

So what PSU did you get for the new build mate I thought like Two Cables you were having problems with the current (new) build

I think maybe a visit here first might have been the go because this sounds like your fist build and yep screwdrivers and board pins don not mix.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #15
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by uilymmot View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by uilymmot View Post
well yea... the power supply seemed to be defective as in really defective... when I bridged the pins the 4th time the power supply just blew up, literally, thanks for all your help here
As I said, the PSU is garbage. I want to help you select a new PSU.

Can you order from PC Case Gear? Or, where can you order from?

How much would you be able to spend?

Finally: will you ever have a video card that's better than the 7770? If so, then what might you get?

For now with your system with the 7770 in it, all that you need is a good quality-made 350-400W PSU (and this is overkill).
I think you missed the point of this thread, also its not for my build with a 7770 but a new build altogether, also i got a new PSU and everything is fine now for the new build.
I thought you were upgrading the build in your profile. I don't know why I thought that because you did say that it's a build for your parents.

What PSU did you get? Yes, it's important enough to discuss. If you got the 550W GX Bronze series, then you may have been ripped off. Besides, I don't see a video card, so all this build would need is a ~300-350W PSU. Of course, due to what's available on the market, I would recommend one of the PSUs I linked above in my big edit to the post you're replying to here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #16
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

Apparently, he wasn't looking for PSU upgrade options......I don't think. I'll be damned if I know what he wants though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #17
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
Apparently, he wasn't looking for PSU upgrade options......I don't think. I'll be damned if I know what he wants though.
Yeah, I'd like him to spell it out for us too because I admit that I'm not 100% clear on this either. The only reason I recommended any PSUs at all is the GX Bronze series is not the best choice even though it's still a somewhat decent series of PSUs. Not only that, but he said that the PSU that came with his case blew up and he said nothing about finding a replacement and that it works.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #18
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

Thread is marked as solved, and he has a new PSU..........I guess it's time to move on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #19
TwoCables

 

Well, I would still like to know what PSU you ended up with, uilymmot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #20
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Well, I would still like to know what PSU you ended up with, uilymmot.
Me too as per my post before yours TC!

I am as you know all for a bit of leeway with some people doing some strange or funny things but am just a little "taken aback' by this thread to be honest if it weren't so time wasting it would be funny and not in a hilarious manner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New Computer not powering on,is it because of not powerful enough PSU?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD when powering off computer, error 0x000000D1
Whenever I shut off my computer I get BSOD. I attached my SF file for viewing. Thanks in advance for the help. Marty
BSOD Help and Support
Computer will not boot properly after powering off during an update!
So I have a HP laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit that turned off during an update not to long ago. I have been trying to get it fixed but I have ran out of options and need some other peoples help. After a long boot time to the login screen and after I get logged in, I can do nothing on...
Performance & Maintenance
Computer not powering up
I just bought a few upgrades for my computer, and was really excited to get to work today. After a few hours of fiddling with small problems, I finally got everything together and tried starting up my computer... to no avail. I purchased a new case, a new motherboard, and a new heatsink. I...
Hardware & Devices
Lifecam Cinema HD not compatible because my computer is too powerful?
I just bought the camera today...the Lifecam Cinema HD and it's not installing properly in my Windows 7 x64 system. I thought it may have been the firmware so I updated it. I also tried the latest software for it...version 3.21. I tried again and now it says: Setup cannot install the software...
Hardware & Devices
Maybe I need a more powerful computer
I have a 2 year old Intel E6550 (Dual 2.33) with 4 Gigs of RAM and a video card with one gig of RAM so when I video talk with someone and want to do some computer work like sending pictures or just screwing around with the computer my CPU's are pushing 90%+. I thought it was my slow 3 meg Cox but...
General Discussion
Will Windows 7 run smoothly on a non-powerful computer?
Will Windows 7 run smoothly on a non-powerful computer? what if a PC has this: Intel Pentium 4, 3.00GHz 512mb DDR2 RAM 98mb Intel Extreme Graphics 80GB Hard Disk I've tried Windows Vista Ultimate on this computer, and it runs fine but without it's Windows Aero Interface. I also...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:46.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App