Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Building a High-end to Mid-end PC

03 Jun 2013   #71
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

NCIX is big in Canada too, you can look there as well. All of these places have pretty much the same hardware, just make a list of what parts you want, and check around. Make a final list of what you want in this build, and we can go from there.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Jun 2013   #72
smarteyeball

 
 

Razor, re-list what you currently have and reusing and re-list what you need.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2013   #73
Razor505

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Razor, re-list what you currently have and reusing and re-list what you need.
-Reusing-
Video Card:
Asus GTX 650 Ti OC Edition 1GB
DVD Drive:
DVD-RW
PSU:
Crosair CX500 Builders Series (Might be getting a new one because its non-modular)
HDD:
Western Digital 250GB
-Have-
CPU:
AMD FX8350
Case:
Cooler Master HAF 912 (Might need to choose another one for more space, my computer desk is small so I need (L)19" x (W) 8" x (H) 17" or anything below)
OS:
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

-Needed-
Motherboard
PSU
RAM
Heatsink/CPU Cooler
HDD
SSD
Case

Budget: $1000
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Jun 2013   #74
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Use the PSU you have, it is an excellent brand and 100W above the recommended for your Graphics card. If you want modular, you can upgrade later when you can afford it.
Use the motherboard, CPU and Ram you've already picked out.
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com Should meet your dimension requirements and will fit a CPU cooler up to 160mm in height. The CPU cooler you picked out is 159mm tall, so it will be close, or you could consider this one which is 144mm tall but wider COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 2011/1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ - Newegg.com. I believe you picked G Skill Ripjaws ram which is 40mm tall and the Gemini has 47mm of clearance for the ram. It's within a couple of dollars of the same price. You have a 250GB hard drive and could go for the 128GB version of the samsung 840 Pro. You'll be at or under budget and can upgrade it as you get more money.

Check around for better prices on the same items. Don't neglect Amazon.com. They sell the same products, Just be sure it is sold by Amazon. There is nobody who has better customer service and many times they are slightly cheaper.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2013   #75
Razor505

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Use the PSU you have, it is an excellent brand and 100W above the recommended for your Graphics card. If you want modular, you can upgrade later when you can afford it.
Use the motherboard, CPU and Ram you've already picked out.
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com Should meet your dimension requirements and will fit a CPU cooler up to 160mm in height. The CPU cooler you picked out is 159mm tall, so it will be close, or you could consider this one which is 144mm tall but wider COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 2011/1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ - Newegg.com. I believe you picked G Skill Ripjaws ram which is 40mm tall and the Gemini has 47mm of clearance for the ram. It's within a couple of dollars of the same price. You have a 250GB hard drive and could go for the 128GB version of the samsung 840 Pro. You'll be at or under budget and can upgrade it as you get more money.

Check around for better prices on the same items. Don't neglect Amazon.com. They sell the same products, Just be sure it is sold by Amazon. There is nobody who has better customer service and many times they are slightly cheaper.
Thanks for the suggestion of the case, but it is a bit too high, but I guess I could live with it. Could you also explain about Cooler Master's HAF cases, are they good? Does it have good cable managements? and Why do they have so many different models like the HAF 912, 922, and their X series, whats the difference between these models?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2013   #76
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Razor505 View Post
Could you also explain about Cooler Master's HAF cases, are they good? Does it have good cable managements? and Why do they have so many different models like the HAF 912, 922, and their X series, whats the difference between these models?
They are great cases. I also personally love the look ( I had a 932, the precursor to the X).

912 = Small/Mid Tower
922 = Mid Tower
X = Full Tower

It's a matter of size basically.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2013   #77
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Razor505 View Post
Could you also explain about Cooler Master's HAF cases, are they good? Does it have good cable managements? and Why do they have so many different models like the HAF 912, 922, and their X series, whats the difference between these models?
They are great cases. I also personally love the look ( I had a 932, the precursor to the X).

912 = Small/Mid Tower
922 = Mid Tower
X = Full Tower

It's a matter of size basically.
+1 I Sold my last computer in a HAF X case. I missed it so much, I bought another one. The 932 is very close to the same as the HAF X, Smarteyeyball explained the rest, pretty well. HAF stands for High Air Flow, and you get plenty of that and they have good cable management. In the HAF X and HAF 932, you can build a rig and still have enough room to put a lawn chair inside. (well, close) You appreciate the room if you're the one having to work inside them and there's no such thing as 'will that fit my case'. But, a lot of people don't like full tower cases, so they made several sizes with various features.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2013   #78
Razor505

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Razor505 View Post
Could you also explain about Cooler Master's HAF cases, are they good? Does it have good cable managements? and Why do they have so many different models like the HAF 912, 922, and their X series, whats the difference between these models?
They are great cases. I also personally love the look ( I had a 932, the precursor to the X).

912 = Small/Mid Tower
922 = Mid Tower
X = Full Tower

It's a matter of size basically.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Razor505 View Post
Could you also explain about Cooler Master's HAF cases, are they good? Does it have good cable managements? and Why do they have so many different models like the HAF 912, 922, and their X series, whats the difference between these models?
They are great cases. I also personally love the look ( I had a 932, the precursor to the X).

912 = Small/Mid Tower
922 = Mid Tower
X = Full Tower

It's a matter of size basically.
+1 I Sold my last computer in a HAF X case. I missed it so much, I bought another one. The 932 is very close to the same as the HAF X, Smarteyeyball explained the rest, pretty well. HAF stands for High Air Flow, and you get plenty of that and they have good cable management. In the HAF X and HAF 932, you can build a rig and still have enough room to put a lawn chair inside. (well, close) You appreciate the room if you're the one having to work inside them and there's no such thing as 'will that fit my case'. But, a lot of people don't like full tower cases, so they made several sizes with various features.
I guess I have to do some renovation on my computer desk to make one of these beasts fit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2013   #79
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

My basic rules for any computer case.

1. Lots of room which makes it easier to work with and add things later if desired.
2. Lots of fans and possibility to add more if needed.
3. The ability for clean and neat cable management.
4. The ability to access the back of the motherboard for cpu cooler removing without removing the motherboard.
5. A quality brand name you can trust such as HAF, Corsair and a few others.
6. Looks is in the eye of the beholder.
****
Two things all computers hardware have in common is the case they fit in and the prower supply. Chose wisely and don't cheep out on either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2013   #80
Razor505

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
My basic rules for any computer case.

1. Lots of room which makes it easier to work with and add things later if desired.
2. Lots of fans and possibility to add more if needed.
3. The ability for clean and neat cable management.
4. The ability to access the back of the motherboard for cpu cooler removing without removing the motherboard.
5. A quality brand name you can trust such as HAF, Corsair and a few others.
6. Looks is in the eye of the beholder.
****
Two things all computers hardware have in common is the case they fit in and the prower supply. Chose wisely and don't cheep out on either.
1. I agree with my Acer has no room left in it, since the GTX 650 Ti is pushing onto the side panel
2. I only got 1 fan in the back, 3 if you count the CPU and the GPU
3. No cable room left, I just tied everything up to the drive bays, and the RAM sticks are pushed down from the PSU wires
4., 5., 6. I might as well go with a HAF 922 and just take the drawer off the computer desk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Building a High-end to Mid-end PC




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Building high perfroamnce home workstation - I need an advice!
Hello experts! I am currently running home based W7 Pro x64 based workstation and need to upgrade it to gain more performance. My current setup: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (supports only SATA2) PCU: AMD Phenom II x4 945 @ 3GHz DRAM: 4 x 2GB @ 800Mhz (Geil) Bootable drive: SSD...
Hardware & Devices
BSOD playing games under high load, High-end Intel/Nvidia custom PC
Hi all, This is my first computer build. For the most part it is playing games fine, but three times now in the last several weeks I have gotten BSODs, in Crysis 3, Battlefield 4. I didn't have the presence of mind to write down the error code. I have attached the /zip file generated by SF. ...
BSOD Help and Support
High download speed and signal, high ping in games, slow page loads
Recently, I reinstalled my Netgear wna3100 driver. Ever since then, I've been experiencing problems with high pings in games where I normally never had problems with. Pages load slowly even just the home page of Google. I've attached my ipconfig picture. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...
Network & Sharing
Anyone with experience building high end workstations?
I got a call today from a potential customer who wants a machine that can run Autodesk Inventor without bogging down, but he doesn't want to pay 20K+ for a workstation from HP or Dell.. After hearing what he's currently using for hardware (enough to make almost any gamer start drooling), I had...
Hardware & Devices
Building a 'High Performance' Windows 7 PC
With Windows 7 release candidate just around the corner, the other day I was asked to spec out a high performance PC suitable for Windows 7 64-bit, This system would also be a great Vista system. Note: Just to clarify that this is a “high performance” PC, and not a “sky’s the limit, money no...
Performance & Maintenance
Help! Building My First High-End Custom Desktop
Hey guys, I'm building my first desktop, and was wanted to ask if all of these parts will work together, and will this be a successful gaming computer? Here's my list: List has been edited based on advice you guys gave me: Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Core i7/ Core i5/ Core i3/ LGA 1156/...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App