Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Random stuttering of whole system from time to time

05 Jul 2013   #21
gregrocker

 

You can try to capture a backup image of the HD to see if it transfers to a replacement satisfactorily. Since you have Seagate you can use Seagate Acronis premium imaging/cloning free utility which works quite well. The Manual is on the downloads page and easy to understand.

I would not waste any time creating the image.

Be sure to back up your files separately first which should already be done at all times. In order to mount an Acronis image to access files you must also have the full edition.





My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Jul 2013   #22
Insanitic

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You can try to capture a backup image of the HD to see if it transfers to a replacement satisfactorily. Since you have Seagate you can use Seagate Acronis premium imaging/cloning free utility which works quite well. The Manual is on the downloads page and easy to understand.

I would not waste any time creating the image.

Be sure to back up your files separately first which should already be done at all times. In order to mount an Acronis image to access files you must also have the full edition.


Thanks for the software suggestion but I won't need to have the full version since I won't make an image but instead, directly clone the drive to another right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2013   #23
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Thank you Greg for your help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jul 2013   #24
Insanitic

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Thanks for all your help everyone! sorry for any troubles caused
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2013   #25
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Insanitic View Post
its not shaking the computer if you mean vibrating really hard, but it makes the computer stutter whenever windows tries to do a volume shadow copy. Is it really the harddrive? or maybe the motherboard, just to make sure
Boards make no noise nor any type of vibrations. Only a HDD or cooling fans are moving in a PC, in your case I'm certaine it is your drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2013   #26
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Insanitic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You can try to capture a backup image of the HD to see if it transfers to a replacement satisfactorily. Since you have Seagate you can use Seagate Acronis premium imaging/cloning free utility which works quite well. The Manual is on the downloads page and easy to understand.

I would not waste any time creating the image.

Be sure to back up your files separately first which should already be done at all times. In order to mount an Acronis image to access files you must also have the full edition.


Thanks for the software suggestion but I won't need to have the full version since I won't make an image but instead, directly clone the drive to another right?
No you will have everything you need to clone or image over.

I said you'd need full version only to mount the image to copy out data but this is not a satisfactory way to back up your data in this case because the image may fail due to disk condition. You'll have to try it to see using the Acronis Seagate app which is quite good itself.

Back up your data separately to another HD or external as should already be done at all times.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2013   #27
Insanitic

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Insanitic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You can try to capture a backup image of the HD to see if it transfers to a replacement satisfactorily. Since you have Seagate you can use Seagate Acronis premium imaging/cloning free utility which works quite well. The Manual is on the downloads page and easy to understand.

I would not waste any time creating the image.

Be sure to back up your files separately first which should already be done at all times. In order to mount an Acronis image to access files you must also have the full edition.


Thanks for the software suggestion but I won't need to have the full version since I won't make an image but instead, directly clone the drive to another right?
No you will have everything you need to clone or image over.

I said you'd need full version only to mount the image to copy out data but this is not a satisfactory way to back up your data in this case because the image may fail due to disk condition. You'll have to try it to see using the Acronis Seagate app which is quite good itself.
got it thanks. Now just to find/buy a hard drive to clone into....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2013   #28
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Have a look through newegg.ca, the US store has some low prices on some HDDs lately.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2013   #29
Insanitic

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Insanitic View Post
its not shaking the computer if you mean vibrating really hard, but it makes the computer stutter whenever windows tries to do a volume shadow copy. Is it really the harddrive? or maybe the motherboard, just to make sure
Boards make no noise nor any type of vibrations. Only a HDD or cooling fans are moving in a PC, in your case I'm certaine it is your drive.
You are misunderstanding me, I did not mean that the motherboard was vibrating but that the problem may like on the controllers, or SATA ports. But now I know its not either of those options and that you're right, its the HDD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2013   #30
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Thank you Gary for the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Random stuttering of whole system from time to time




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
"The system time is different from your local standard time
"The system time is different from your local standard time How do I fix this
General Discussion
System Hang (mostly gaming, also 1 time using Chrome), 1 time BSOD
Hi everyone, recently I switched from my mini-itx board P8Z77-I to my old Z77A-GD65, since then I'm having stability issues. My 2500k was stable at 1,32v, cooled by an H100i, my GPU is at @1200/1500, also tested and stable (7870xt), but now randomly the system hangs, with no bsod, mostly while...
BSOD Help and Support
Time zone random resets from GMT to Pacfic time
Once in a while I find that the time zone moves from GMT to Pacific Time. Has anyone any idea what would cause this, new CMOS battery fitted, which ever time zone shows the time is correct for that zone. Checked the BIOS and that also changes. I dual boot two Win 7 installations Thanks in...
General Discussion
System Time not kept correctly after having manually changed BIOS time
Dear all, I spilt some water on my laptop a few days ago but fortunately it's completely dried out and working perfectly.... apart from this minor (but important) issue. I would appreciate your help. Problem: the system time does not stay correct. Even after manually updating the BIOS time...
Performance & Maintenance
Random BSOD , from time to time , during normal daily activity!
Hello. I have been experiencing bluee screens of death in the last 9 months. Sometime , at 3-4 days it just happens , randomly. I hope you guys can help me. System specs : Intel Quad Core 2.5 GHZ 8 GB RAM ATi RADEON 5850 HD
BSOD Help and Support
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound hanging/stuttering from time to time
hey guys, i just bought a new M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard to enjoy great sound in a foobar2000 + flac combination. i've successfully installed the Vista 32bit drivers in compatibility mode and everything worked fine until then. after starting to listen to music, i've experienced that...
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App