Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?

14 Jul 2013   #11
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

I only see 2 Sata data headers (labeled #6 & #11) So you cannot split Sata data cables, but you can Y split Sata power cables. I don't see an IDE header on the MB so that leaves out a IDE to Sata conversion board. The one you posted is a USB connection adapter. It will work, but not the best for permanent installation. You might be better off with a Two (2) drive Sata HD DOCK.

Most ext DOCKS will work with Desktop & Laptop Sata HD's

Last pic is a two (2) HD USB external enclosure




Attached Thumbnails
How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-startech_docking_unit.jpg   How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-rosewill_sata_dock_single_hd.jpg  
Attached Images
How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-power_y_sata_splitter.jpg How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-hd_dock_unit.jpg How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-p1020624-600-x-450-.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Jul 2013   #12
jacko900000

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Ok I've attached some pictures to hopefully make it stand out a little clearer.

Pictures go from top to bottom, Left to right.

Picture 1:
1: Goes to front of PC to control power button & LED's
2: Goes to front USB & card slots (see picture 3, 4 & 5)
3: Goes to HDD (that was 1TB)
4: Goes to Disc Drive

Picture 2:
1: Power for disc drive
2: Unknown power source, come from power box
3: Power and SATA to HDD

Picture 3, 4 & 5:
Front USB's, card readers etc

Picture 6:
Back side of tower (near keyboard connectors etc)

Picture 7:
1: SATA & power for Disc Drive
2: SATA for HDD

Picture 8:
1: Power for Disc Drive
2: Unknown power?

Picture 9:
1: Where I've had to put the HDD from laptop


Attached Thumbnails
How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-20130715_014340.jpg   How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-20130715_014350.jpg   How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-20130715_014358.jpg   How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-20130715_014403.jpg   How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-20130715_014416.jpg  

How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-20130715_014424.jpg   How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-20130715_014434.jpg   How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-20130715_014445.jpg   How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-20130715_014734.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2013   #13
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jacko900000 View Post
Here's some pics.. Just wanted to know what these were for?
Not sure if this was answered:



1. PCIE-E x16 slot

2. PCI-E x1 slot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Jul 2013   #14
jacko900000

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I only see 2 Sata data headers (labeled #6 & #11) So you cannot split Sata data cables, but you can Y split Sata power cables. I don't see an IDE header on the MB so that leaves out a IDE to Sata conversion board. The one you posted is a USB connection adapter. It will work, but not the best for permanent installation. You might be better off with a Two (2) drive Sata HD DOCK.

Most ext DOCKS will work with Desktop & Laptop Sata HD's

Last pic is a two (2) HD USB external enclosure
So could I just used the SATA to USB I bought to run the HDD as external? Then buy a cage when I have more money?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2013   #15
jacko900000

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jacko900000 View Post
Here's some pics.. Just wanted to know what these were for?
Not sure if this was answered:

? Looks like one half of the 4+4/ 8 pin CPU power. If you're mobo only has a 4 plug, it'd be a spare essentially.

1. PCIE-E x16 slot

2. PCI-E x1 slot
Thanks!

Main question I was looking for, Are these useful for anything? Could I attach anything useful? What would it do?

Sorry, Little nooby when it comes to internal compartments
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2013   #16
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jacko900000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I only see 2 Sata data headers (labeled #6 & #11) So you cannot split Sata data cables, but you can Y split Sata power cables. I don't see an IDE header on the MB so that leaves out a IDE to Sata conversion board. The one you posted is a USB connection adapter. It will work, but not the best for permanent installation. You might be better off with a Two (2) drive Sata HD DOCK.

Most ext DOCKS will work with Desktop & Laptop Sata HD's

Last pic is a two (2) HD USB external enclosure
So could I just used the SATA to USB I bought to run the HDD as external? Then buy a cage when I have more money?
Yes that will work but transfer speeds will suffer but it will work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2013   #17
jacko900000

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jacko900000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I only see 2 Sata data headers (labeled #6 & #11) So you cannot split Sata data cables, but you can Y split Sata power cables. I don't see an IDE header on the MB so that leaves out a IDE to Sata conversion board. The one you posted is a USB connection adapter. It will work, but not the best for permanent installation. You might be better off with a Two (2) drive Sata HD DOCK.

Most ext DOCKS will work with Desktop & Laptop Sata HD's

Last pic is a two (2) HD USB external enclosure
So could I just used the SATA to USB I bought to run the HDD as external? Then buy a cage when I have more money?
Yes that will work but transfer speeds will suffer but it will work.
Will it suffer bad?
What about if I totally formatted it, then installed windows 7 on it again and set it back to my primary HDD?

Also a screenshot of my Windows Proformance..
Any idea's how I could give it a boost?


Attached Thumbnails
How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?-untitled.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2013   #18
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jacko900000 View Post
Ok I've attached some pictures to hopefully make it stand out a little clearer.


Picture 1:

1 Front panel header / power switch/led/reset etc

2 USB headers

3 Sata 2 port

4 Sata 2 port


Picture 2:

1 Sata power cable
2 The + 4 pin of the 20/4 motherboard power. Your mobo only has a 20 pin. It's useless to you.
3 Backside of a hard drive


Picture 5:

1 ? Sata cords, sata power
2 Sata 2 connection





As mentioned, the only way you are going to add more sata devices is by adding a Sata card on either a PCIE-E 16 (long slot) or the PCIE-E x1 (short slot)

One thing I didn't see in the pics was if there were any spare sata power, or even molex plugs to power up further HDD's.

(Molex plugs are rectangular with 4 pin holes)


There is also no such thing as a Sata splitter that you were thinking of. One drive per slot I'm afraid.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jacko900000 View Post

Thanks!

Main question I was looking for, Are these useful for anything? Could I attach anything useful? What would it do?
The slots yes, the plug no. (After I saw the other angle it clicked what it was)

Quote:
Sorry, Little nooby when it comes to internal compartments
No need to apologize
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2013   #19
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Pic. 1#1 Looks to be a front audio header
Pic. 1#2 Is a USB 2.0 header
Pic. 1#3 & #4 Sata mobo headers

Pic. 2#1 Sata power connector
Pic. 2#2 4 pin left over from 20/24 pin main mobo connector
Pic. 2#3 Looks to be a HDD showing sata data and sata power

Pic. 3#1 sata header and sata power
Pic. 3#2 2nd sata header
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2013   #20
jacko900000

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jacko900000 View Post
Ok I've attached some pictures to hopefully make it stand out a little clearer.


Picture 1:

1 Front panel header / power switch/led/reset etc

2 USB headers

3 Sata 2 port

4 Sata 2 port


Picture 2:

1 Sata power cable
2 The + 4 pin of the 20/4 motherboard power. Your mobo only has a 20 pin. It's useless to you.
3 Backside of a hard drive


Picture 5:

1 ? Sata cords, sata power
2 Sata 2 connection


As mentioned, the only way you are going to add more sata devices is by adding a Sata card on either a PCIE-E 16 (long slot) or the PCIE-E x1 (short slot)

One thing I didn't see in the pics was if there were any spare sata power, or even molex plugs to power up further HDD's.


There is also no such thing as a Sata splitter that you were thinking of. One drive per slot I'm afraid.[/QUOTE]

Hmm
Not turning out to be such a good PC as its been running for the last 4 years. Maybe time for an upgrade

How much am I looking at for a PCIE-E 16 to SATA .. or something like that?

& yeah, I can't see any extra SATA or power wires/plugs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
internet working in the living room but not in the bed room
ok so my dads laptop is a acer aspire 5749 and the inter net works in the living room works in my room (my room is above the living room ) but will not work in my dads bedroom the connection bar is usually at 3 -4 in there but it says limited access and just loads forever .(with the connection bar...
Network & Sharing
Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive
The time has come for me to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows 7 following a recent disastrous download that's effectively knocked out my Internet Explorer 11 and rendered Internet browsing difficult. My system has since become unstable and progressively slow and unfortunately, for some...
Hardware & Devices
FYI Only - Discovered only slight diff betw SATA-1 vs. SATA-3 cables
I read an article stating there’s very little difference between SATA cables. So I tried it for myself. This screenshot shows the slight differences in speed; likely most of you already knew this. In testing, an 11GB file transferred in 10 seconds using either cable. Vid link shows detail of...
Hardware & Devices
SATA 3 not working on Asus P6X58D-E motherboard with SATA III support
Yesterday I had a PC technician around to see why my PC was not booting-up properly and also to change my SSD to a larger SSD. As I am visually challenged I cannot do hardware upgrades etc, so I got a Techie guy in. We used Zinstall HDD by-the-way and I would highly recommend this application...
Hardware & Devices
Changing from SATA RAID to SATA AHCI - Help needed!
I could really use some help with this. I have a HD that I'm moving from one Windows 7 machine to another. The new system is a Gateway DX4860. The old was was also a Gateway DX4820. When I put the old drive in the new computer, I get the Windows Splash screen, the stars begin to appear...
Hardware & Devices
Safety of internal 3.5 Sata IDE in external Sata case for backups
I'm looking at a Sabrent EC-UEIS7 Hard Drive Enclosure - 3.5" IDE/SATA to USB 2.0, eSATA in order to use one of my now internal Sata drives as an 'external' backup device. If I turn the external power off on the back of the external Sata enclosure with my extra old Sata connected in it...will...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App