Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to enable 2 monitors without mirroring them

21 Jul 2013   #1
rinku

Singapore
 
 
How to enable 2 monitors without mirroring them

I have been trying to use both my monitors to work well with windows 7.
I have the following configuration :
Intel orignal DH87RL
Intel core I7-4770 , 3.4Ghz
1st Dell monitor with HDMI => connected to HDMI port
2nd Dell Monitor with HDMI => connected to DVI port using dvi to HDMI connector

I can see both the monitor connected as mirror but I want them to be used as increased desktop space.
In settings I am unable to see that 2 monitors are connected. Images attached below:

Any pointers will be helpful




Attached Thumbnails
How to enable 2 monitors without mirroring them-img_20130720_013345.jpg   How to enable 2 monitors without mirroring them-img_20130720_013404.jpg   How to enable 2 monitors without mirroring them-img_20130720_013414.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Jul 2013   #2
paulpicks21

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Hi there, usually there should be an option to "Extend this Display" from the drop down box when 2 monitors are connected. Do you not have this option?

If not, it could be the cable/adapter type, can you test it with one connected via VGA cable?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2013   #3
rinku

Singapore
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paulpicks21 View Post
Hi there, usually there should be an option to "Extend this Display" from the drop down box when 2 monitors are connected. Do you not have this option?

If not, it could be the cable/adapter type, can you test it with one connected via VGA cable?
I am unable to see that option, I can see both the monitors as mirrored.
Also, I see the display as standard VGA adapter, but there is no VGA port in mother board, I have one DVI and 1 HDMI port
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jul 2013   #4
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Why not try one with each type? 1 HDMI and 1 DVI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2013   #5
GARoss

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rinku View Post
I have been trying to use both my monitors to work well with windows 7.
I have the following configuration :
Intel orignal DH87RL
Intel core I7-4770 , 3.4Ghz
1st Dell monitor with HDMI => connected to HDMI port
2nd Dell Monitor with HDMI => connected to DVI port using dvi to HDMI connector

I can see both the monitor connected as mirror but I want them to be used as increased desktop space.
In settings I am unable to see that 2 monitors are connected. Images attached below:

Any pointers will be helpful
Right mouse button click on your desktop screen, go down to Screen Resolutions. Your window should look like this;



As paulpicks21 said, select "Extend these Displays".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2013   #6
GARoss

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rinku View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paulpicks21 View Post
Hi there, usually there should be an option to "Extend this Display" from the drop down box when 2 monitors are connected. Do you not have this option?

If not, it could be the cable/adapter type, can you test it with one connected via VGA cable?
I am unable to see that option, I can see both the monitors as mirrored.
Also, I see the display as standard VGA adapter, but there is no VGA port in mother board, I have one DVI and 1 HDMI port
Sorry, I did see this post.

1st, we need you to fill in your system specs. This is very important as I have no idea what you graphic card is. With that info we can determine if it supports dual monitors, which it may not & thus no "Extend these Displays" function. You have HDMI & DVI but that doesn't necessarily mean dual monitor capable. It could be options for configuring to your monitor's connector as some monitors, mine included, do not accept HDMI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to enable 2 monitors without mirroring them




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
mirroring drives in windows 7.
I think I just did something stupid? Can you not mirror an OS drive? I just set up a mirror drive and it converted both my source and destination to a dynamic disk. I'm ok with the mirror disc being dynamic but I'm thinking my OS disk is now not bookable? So now I need to break the mirror...
Backup and Restore
How to enable 2 monitors without mirroring them
I have been trying to use both my monitors to work well with windows 7. I have the following configuration : Intel orignal DH87RL Intel core I7-4770 , 3.4Ghz 1st Dell monitor with HDMI => connected to HDMI port 2nd Dell Monitor with HDMI => connected to DVI port using dvi to HDMI connector ...
Graphic Cards
Mirroring drives
I have built several new workstations for my shop. I have 5 Windows 7 keys and pretty much other than the hardware specs all the stations will have the same programs. A buddy of mine suggested mirroring?? I was curious to know the best way to do this. I thought about installing the OS, not...
General Discussion
Mirroring vs Raid
My Windows 7 is currently installed on a raid 1 array. I am considering on switching from hardware raid to windows 7's mirroring function as hardware raid tends to be problematic if the motherboard dies or is replaced. I am however curious on a number of issues. First of all, is this a good idea...
Performance & Maintenance
Help with a mirroring question, please.
I read alot here, but never really found an answer to my question. I have an Intel Desktop Board DX48BT2, its supports about everything. Intel Desktop Board DX48BT2 - Overview I have Windows7 64bit ultimate. My C drive is a 300 gig raptor and I don't want to change that. I want to...
Hardware & Devices
Mirroring partition to VHD
Hi, I'm wondering if its possible to copy a partition entirely (including boot record) onto a VHD file I made using diskpart. EDIT: I went out and got Norton Ghost to do the job... because no internet search was turning up how to do it without Ghost.
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:04.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App