Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: CD-DVD rw will not auto run (register seems corrupt)

10 Aug 2013   #11
Oldhead

Windows7 home premium 32bit
 
 

Sorry no , only options tab > sub folder > nothing to do with advanced options etc.
Cant tell you how much i appreciate this assistance ,it has me stumped . Drivers for D drive are fine .
Funny though i even went as far as to do a repair install of windows , but got stopped as the oem disk i have was rejected as being a diff version to what is currently installed ( go figure ) Never used any other install ????? Also had to uninstall ATI catalyst program and drivers.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Aug 2013   #12
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

My apologies life intervened, my neighbor needed a hand.

Then the next thing to do is run that Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup

Start with Step One and try the drive as stated after #6.
Quote:
6. After the computer finishes restarting, determine whether the problem is resolved.
  • Start the affected game or program to determine whether the problem is resolved.
  • If the problem does not occur after you restart, the interference is occurring because of a background program or service. In this case, go to the Determine what is causing the problem section (STEP TWO) below.
  • If the problem returns after you perform a clean startup, the interference is not occurring because of a background program or service. In this case, this tutorial cannot resolve your problem. Go to the How to return Windows to Normal startup mode section (STEP THREE) below to return your computer to the original startup mode. Then, go to the "Related Links" section at the bottom for other tutorials that may help you resolve this problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2013   #13
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
Funny though i even went as far as to do a repair install of windows , but got stopped as the oem disk i have was rejected as being a diff version to what is currently installed ( go figure ) Never used any other install ?????
That sounds like you have SP1 installed and your disc is pre SP1.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Aug 2013   #14
Oldhead

Windows7 home premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
Funny though i even went as far as to do a repair install of windows , but got stopped as the oem disk i have was rejected as being a diff version to what is currently installed ( go figure ) Never used any other install ?????
That sounds like you have SP1 installed and your disc is pre SP1.
Yes ,looks like def right there. Just another bloody isssue. Cant repair install !
Looks like the system shop, built for me and loaded sp1 ,but gave me pre issue sp1 disk .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2013   #15
Oldhead

Windows7 home premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
My apologies life intervened, my neighbor needed a hand.

Then the next thing to do is run that Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup

Start with Step One and try the drive as stated after #6.
Quote:
6. After the computer finishes restarting, determine whether the problem is resolved.
  • Start the affected game or program to determine whether the problem is resolved.
  • If the problem does not occur after you restart, the interference is occurring because of a background program or service. In this case, go to the Determine what is causing the problem section (STEP TWO) below.
  • If the problem returns after you perform a clean startup, the interference is not occurring because of a background program or service. In this case, this tutorial cannot resolve your problem. Go to the How to return Windows to Normal startup mode section (STEP THREE) below to return your computer to the original startup mode. Then, go to the "Related Links" section at the bottom for other tutorials that may help you resolve this problem.
Anak the msconfig shows No interference from programs ,re booted normal.
and on we go .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2013   #16
Oldhead

Windows7 home premium 32bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2013   #17
Faladu

Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Box (64-bit installed) + Service Pack 1
 
 

I read the thread, and sadly am still as to the actual problem.

DATA cds all work fine?

Music CDs do not play actual music, you just see them as .CDA files instead?

What program is associated with playing them at this time?

I never use WMP for anything, so I would try another program, just to see, in case you are mad about (madly in love with) WMP, or just didn't know you had options. muhahaha! [had to work that in sorry].

Can try SFC /scannow and verify Windows 7's critical files are in order also.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2013   #18
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
Yes ,looks like def right there. Just another bloody isssue. Cant repair install !
Looks like the system shop, built for me and loaded sp1 ,but gave me pre issue sp1 disk .
I would go back to them and ask for the proper OS disk.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
Anak the msconfig shows No interference from programs ,re booted normal. and on we go .
Okay, now we know that can be ruled out.

It's worth a shot, go for it.The values are the same as mine.



Are you familiar with editing the registry, changing values?


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Faladu View Post
I read the thread, and sadly am still as to the actual problem.

DATA cds all work fine?

Music CDs do not play actual music, you just see them as .CDA files instead?

What program is associated with playing them at this time?

I never use WMP for anything, so I would try another program, just to see, in case you are mad about (madly in love with) WMP, or just didn't know you had options. muhahaha! [had to work that in sorry].

Can try SFC /scannow and verify Windows 7's critical files are in order also.
Normally when the user inserts a disk into the optical player whether it be data, audio, video or an installation disk, a Autorun/Autoplay dialog box will appear and ask the user what he or she would like done with the inserted disk, and how autorun should proceed after that choice is made.

Oldhead's new optical drive works and he can see Folders, Files, audio and video tracks, but unfortunately the autorun dialog doesn't appear and he has to use other workarounds to get into what ever disk he has inserted at that moment.
We haven't touched on it, but I suspect it has something to do with the new optical drive's installation.

I'm not sure program association is the problem at the moment, It is a good question, and it should be looked into.

A chkdsk, and a sfc scan would be good to run after all this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Aug 2013   #19
Oldhead

Windows7 home premium 32bit
 
 

Wmp works fine for my current needs, and no its not the media player,
this is the 2nd CD-dvd rom that wont work as normal.
Have already done chkdsk & sfc scan and all presented as fine.
Going to bite the bullet Anak , will do full bk up of registry and modify value (hexidecimal) as per article and also the reference to your same posted . They both seem to pinpoint a possible reason.
A few pointers as to correct proceedure woudnt hurt , never dealt that deep before.and will advise outcome for reference to other users. Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Aug 2013   #20
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Important!
Before you do this; Make a backup of your registry also make a System Restore Point - Create


Use this tutorial as a guide: Using the Registry Editor in Windows 7

Read through it to accustom yourself to the procedures, but we will only be dealing with the part down to figure 2.

CD-DVD rw will not auto run (register seems corrupt)-og4.jpg

Quote:
You can easily access the Registry Editor by typing regedit in the Start Menu’s Search box.
You should see regedit.exe at the top listed under Programs (1). You can either click on Open or Run as Administrator, the choice is yours.
Quote:
The User Account Control asks you to authorize access by clicking Continue. The Registry Editor appears with an expanded menu of the five registry key sections:

Quote:
You can expand one of the sections and drill down to the desired registry key.
In your case: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Quote:
After you find the specific registry key to alter, you can both double-click the key name or right-click the key name and select Modify. An Edit String window appears that allows you to modify the existing string value.
In the edit string window that does appear you should see:
  • Value Name: NoDriveTypeAutoRun and,
  • "dd" highlighted in the Value Data.
  • Leave the Base, Hexadecimal selected as is.
  • Type 91, you will see the "dd" change to 91.
  • Click on OK and you will see the Data Value in the right pane change from 0x000000dd (221) to 0x00000091 (145).
  • Close the registry editor.
Some users mention that at this point you should restart your machine, I would.

Test to see if the autorun function for the optical drive is working.

Screenshot and quotes are sourced from:
Using the Registry Editor in Windows 7



Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Red Green


Steve



My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 CD-DVD rw will not auto run (register seems corrupt)




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
nvidia fsb overclock,mgr corrupt ,boot image corrupt ,cannot reformat
nvidia sys tool changed the fsb overclock system hanged did a reboot sys boot image corrupt mgr corrupt ,boot image corrupt i cannot reinstall windows as well,when i insert bootable usb windows 7,8.1(also the current os i am runnning ) it auto enters repair mode wihout any option before...
Installation & Setup
How to register .dll and .exe files
Hi Guys I've just done a clean install and rather the installing the Adobe Thumbnail fix from here - Fixes for 64-bit Adobe Reader preview handler and thumbnails I was going to use the manual method described below but cannot seem to get any of them registered. Can anyone help me with the...
General Discussion
Stop Win7 Auto-update from auto restarting your computer
I've never been bit by this as I always save my work before walking away from the computer, but this may be of help to some of you. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/6042-windows-update-enable-disable-automatic-restart.html
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App