Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Touch pad malfunction in Windows 7 Ultimate for Dell Vostro A860

13 Aug 2013   #1
xti74

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Touch pad malfunction in Windows 7 Ultimate for Dell Vostro A860

Hello,

I have a Dell laptop, model Vostro A860. OS is Windows 7 Ultimate. Since few weeks ago, suddenly, touch pad stopped working. By connecting an external USB mouse, everything works fine.
Last week, I discovered that on battery mode the touch pad is working fine. I did not see this from the beginning since the laptop is used only during evenings and was always on power.
So, finally, my problem appears only if the laptop is connected to the power supply. Again, an external mouse is working on both cases.
I just want to ask you if you detected this problem before and if you discover any solution: change the driver, adjust the power settings,...? Is very strange that on battery mode is ok everything.
I'm not sure that is a Windows problem or something wrong with the HW.

Thank you!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Aug 2013   #2
maxie

windows 7 home 64bit
 
 

Hi Welcome to Seven Forums .. You have a very unusual problem there .. In a way you are lucky cause at least it works on Battery which is handy if you need to take the Laptop out with you .. Now you could try another Driver .. See the Link below .. May help or not the question is do you want to mess with things or happy enough the way things are .

Dell Vostro A860 - touchpad driver
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2013   #3
xti74

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by maxie View Post
Hi Welcome to Seven Forums .. You have a very unusual problem there .. In a way you are lucky cause at least it works on Battery which is handy if you need to take the Laptop out with you .. Now you could try another Driver .. See the Link below .. May help or not the question is do you want to mess with things or happy enough the way things are .

Dell Vostro A860 - touchpad driver
Thank you for welcome and for the advice!

I will try this driver also. Yesterday I found another one, R189727.EXE (specific fot this model, but I'm not sure if it is for Windows 7), but I did not have time to install it.
Very good question from your side ! For the moment I will try by myself to find an answer to this strange behavior. I already contact a local IT company to check what can be done and the answer was very simple: leave the laptop 8 days for a complete diagnose.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Aug 2013   #4
maxie

windows 7 home 64bit
 
 

Good luck hope it helps
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2013   #5
xti74

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by maxie View Post
Hi Welcome to Seven Forums .. You have a very unusual problem there .. In a way you are lucky cause at least it works on Battery which is handy if you need to take the Laptop out with you .. Now you could try another Driver .. See the Link below .. May help or not the question is do you want to mess with things or happy enough the way things are .

Dell Vostro A860 - touchpad driver
Hello again,

It seems that these discussions on the topic are very old. Do you have this driver?

thank you!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2013   #6
maxie

windows 7 home 64bit
 
 

Hi there Sorry no i don't have the Driver .. I am also hesitant to recommend any others .. As i know the one you have should work best
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2013   #7
xti74

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by maxie View Post
Hi there Sorry no i don't have the Driver .. I am also hesitant to recommend any others .. As i know the one you have should work best
Thank you! I will use the one, mine, from Dell official page. I will keep you informed!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2013   #8
maxie

windows 7 home 64bit
 
 

Most welcome
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2013   #9
madcratebuilder

Win8/8.1,Win7-U64, Vista U64, uncounted Linux distor's
 
 

I just did a Vista Ultimate 64 bit install on my Dell Inspiron 1525, the touch pad works with the Vista installed driver. In Devise Manager it's listed as a "PS/2 compatible mouse" it's a generic windows driver. I can hot swap between the touch pad and my wireless mouse, on or off battery.

Dell has 2 or 3 different touch pad drivers listed on the driver page. I was going to install a Dell driver but decided to leave it alone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2013   #10
SandeepP

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xti74 View Post
Hello,

I have a Dell laptop, model Vostro A860. OS is Windows 7 Ultimate. Since few weeks ago, suddenly, touch pad stopped working. By connecting an external USB mouse, everything works fine.
Last week, I discovered that on battery mode the touch pad is working fine. I did not see this from the beginning since the laptop is used only during evenings and was always on power.
So, finally, my problem appears only if the laptop is connected to the power supply. Again, an external mouse is working on both cases.
I just want to ask you if you detected this problem before and if you discover any solution: change the driver, adjust the power settings,...? Is very strange that on battery mode is ok everything.
I'm not sure that is a Windows problem or something wrong with the HW.

Thank you!
Hi xti74,

I understand that you have sent the laptop for diagnose and repairs. As the issue occurs only on charging then it seems to be an issue with the AC adapter or charging port.

Most probably would be a charging port and replacing the same should resolve the issue.

If the system is under warranty then please contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information so I may access your system records.

And, if the system is out of warranty then you contact our Expired Warranty Support at the link below:

http://dell.to/12LmNBq

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Touch pad malfunction in Windows 7 Ultimate for Dell Vostro A860




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Do Dell Vostro 3546 support windows 7?
I am thinking of buying Dell Vostro 3546 with linux installed from Amazon. Reason, cheaper price than those which have windows and dos installed. I need windows 7 for my work. Is it possible to format Linux and install windows 7 on Dell Vostro 3546?
General Discussion
Dell vostro 3300 - Windows 7 SP2?
I'm not able to download windows service pack 2 and I'm not to sure why! Not only that but for service pack 1 the files are huge which I don't think is right. In my control panel, programs and features I have multiple files of microsoft sync framework and microsoft visual C++
Windows Updates & Activation
Dell Inspiron 1564 Web Cam Central Malfunction (windows 7)
Hi, Everyone! Please don't mind guys,this is my repeat complaint about web cam. since i bought this lappy,web cam doesn't operate as it should,every time i have to fiddle the lid multiple times until video starts streaming,and every time its shows unsupported web cam,so i tried to...
Hardware & Devices
Dell Vostro A860 (DRIVERS)
I have tried to find drivers for my Windows 7 but I couldn't find anywhere the right drivers for my laptop . I hope u have a link for me for the drivers . my laptop is Dell Vostro A860 and the windows I got when buying the comp is Vista , so now when I want to get my Windows 7 installed , I don';t...
Drivers
Dell Vostro A860 - touchpad driver
Hi Everybody. I have a problem with touchpad driver on my Laptop - Dell Vostro A860 Dell supports only Vista32 drivers - so i was thinking that i can use Compatibility Mode in Windows7. Negative ! Compatibility mode don't work and my touchpad is not installed. Dell put on board (ALPS...
Drivers
resolution problem in dell vostro A860
hi..guys... i'am an Egyptian new member here in your forums :D:D i have a problem in resolution of games and videos and this is due to unknown error in reading vram it is 358 and this proved by dxdiag command http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/866/85405136.jpg but in games it was read 64...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:42.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App