Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: cant access my flashdrive


29 Aug 2013   #1

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
cant access my flashdrive

how do you hack into a flash drive to forcefully remove the write protection. i have a 32 gb USB flash drive and all of a sudden write protection got enabled

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Aug 2013   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

32 GB pen drive - make? model? no-name? From where bought? Did you buy it because it was cheap? For how long has it been in use? Is it still under warranty? Have you tried it on another PC and what happens? Do other pen drives work on your PC?

Without answers to these, its really difficult to diagnose or even guess what has or could have happened.

Notwithstanding, a genuine pen drive which has been used quite substantially, can turn write-protected when it is no longer safe to write data on to it and signifies end-of life for the device. You have to just discard it.

As I said, where your this particular device stands, I can't even make a reasonable guess in the absence of any information on it. Just a short the device became write-protected does not help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2013   #3

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
reply

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
32 GB pen drive - make? model? no-name? From where bought? Did you buy it because it was cheap? For how long has it been in use? Is it still under warranty? Have you tried it on another PC and what happens? Do other pen drives work on your PC?

Without answers to these, its really difficult to diagnose or even guess what has or could have happened.

Notwithstanding, a genuine pen drive which has been used quite substantially, can turn write-protected when it is no longer safe to write data on to it and signifies end-of life for the device. You have to just discard it.

As I said, where your this particular device stands, I can't even make a reasonable guess in the absence of any information on it. Just a short the device became write-protected does not help.
its a 32 gb sandisk cruzer glide i bought it from amazon it wasnt cheap it was like 25 $ it was in use by about 2 -3 monthes, i have no ext warnt only manufature defect warrnty. any pc i put it into it does not work. my other pny sandisk ect flash drives work
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Aug 2013   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

OK, it looks like a premature failure and should be covered under manufacturer's warranty.( You may also try with Amazon. Sometimes they are very generous and may send you a replacement with no questions asked - customer satisfaction. )

If you still want to try your hand on it, just check whether your drive shows up in Disk Management. If it shows up as "Read only", there is a fair chance it can be mended.

Download the HDD Low Level Format Tool version 4.3 (Windows executable that requires no installation) HDDGURU: HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool

Keep your Pen drive plugged-in, click( doubleclick) on the executable to run it and do a low level format. ( Remove all other external drives/ pen drives. Be sure to select the correct pen drive.) When low level format finishes, do a regular format with Windows.

You may also try formatting it with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.2.3 HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool Free Download (Right click on the executable and Run as administrator)

If both these fail, Manufacturer/Amazon your only go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2013   #5

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 



i snaped the result of all methods i did and put em up is their a CMD method i can do ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2013   #6

Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" x32
 
 

it's well known (just google it) that a certain amount of Sandisk Cruzer (especially 8 GB ones) are defective and you can't do absolute nothing except to return or to destroy them. My cousin, himelf, went out and bought himself a 32gb one and got it write protected the first time he used it, we tried just about EVERYTHING on the net and there was no luck for it. It's one of Sandisks major screw-ups, and i cannot understand why they still sell the darn things! I'd recommend getting a Sandisk Ultra, I've never had a problem with them (except for losing them, lol!)

You can try and I welcome that, if you can get it to work you will be a god among men in our little trio at home LOL
A cmd method, you can try this, but it will erase all data on the USB Drive:
(WARNING: (If) you succeed, the data on the USB Drive will be erased:


Search CMD in the start menu, right click it and select run as Administrator
type the following and press enter after each command:
diskpart
list disk
select disk ... (The number of the disk comes from the command above, look at the size of the drive to decide the number)

clean
create partition primary
format fs=fat32 quick
active
assign

(unfortunately, i believe you will be stuck at the clean command with a notice that the media is write protected)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2013   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by emmett82 View Post


i snaped the result of all methods i did and put em up is their a CMD method i can do ?
Your first shot shows in the LLF tool, "Perform quick wipe" is checked. Uncheck it and try to do a full wipe.

The last arrow in my quiver

54 - How to Fix Write-Protected Read-Only Disks - RMPrepUSB

Use RMPrepUSB - RMPrepUSB v2.1.655 as shown in the tutorial.

The tutorial also indicates how to do it manually with diskpart.

And you are doing all these just to satisfy yourself that you have done everything possible under the Sun.

If by chance you succeed by using the above tutorial, be sure to remember me in your will.

Now I shall retire for the day and dream of a bounty.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2013   #8

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by emmett82 View Post


i snaped the result of all methods i did and put em up is their a CMD method i can do ?
Your first shot shows in the LLF tool, "Perform quick wipe" is checked. Uncheck it and try to do a full wipe.

The last arrow in my quiver

54 - How to Fix Write-Protected Read-Only Disks - RMPrepUSB

Use RMPrepUSB - RMPrepUSB v2.1.655 as shown in the tutorial.

The tutorial also indicates how to do it manually with diskpart.

And you are doing all these just to satisfy yourself that you have done everything possible under the Sun.

If by chance you succeed by using the above tutorial, be sure to remember me in your will.

Now I shall retire for the day and dream of a bounty.
i did full and quick but acidently closed the full before i could cap it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 cant access my flashdrive




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: cant access my flashdrive
Thread Forum
Solved Cannot Copy ISO Image to FlashDrive Hardware & Devices
USB Flashdrive could not be found - Error Code 39 Hardware & Devices
Solved WRITE protected Flashdrive Hardware & Devices
[HELP] USB Flashdrive Problem Hardware & Devices
External HD, Usb FlashDrive VS Cellphone Signal Hardware & Devices
Removing U3 from a flashdrive. Hardware & Devices
usb flashdrive bsod BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33