Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Paragon Migrate OS to SSD

02 Oct 2013   #21
truckinguy

Win7 64 Bit
 
 

Right now I clone with Seagates free ultility made by Acronis. I clone the whole disk. In past crashes or corruptions I just took the cloned disk and installed it as the primary and away I went except for any changes made since I cloned. This is were selective back ups scheduled for certain days might shine for me. I should try to do that instead of cloneing. It takes a long time to clone. I got about 120 gb on my primary and it took almost 3 hours today.
My Dell media bay is used for storage now with a Hdd . I have to swap it with another HDD Caddy to do my back up for cloning every time. No big deal. Also I use an E sata external 2.5 HDD in an encloser to back up the storage. Maybe there is a simpler method to do my storage /primary backups.
I was thinking of buying a 256gb SSD. I have about 120 gb now and clone that to a 750gb HDD.
On a side note my primary is 750 MomentusXT Hybrid. Going SSD on the primary and using the 750 Hybrid might be better then what I have now. Alot of the files for the programs I use is on the storage drive.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
As I wrote in previous post... there are no really neccesary changes to do.... except the alignment (is for speed).
With what software do you clone? And do you clone the whole disk, or just partition clones?



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Oct 2013   #22
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Indeed... better use backup/restore instead of cloning. Backups are smaller... they compress the files and don't backup useless things like pagefile/hibernation file. And they only backup the blocks that are really used on disk. My advise: Use macrium reflect free. I used it a lot of times. It can restore the partitions to another spot on disk and even shrink or extend, make it active, or make it an extended partition. It can even align the partition on restore. Backups can be made within windows! Imaging with free Macrium

Partition Alignment

You don't need any other stuff
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #23
truckinguy

Win7 64 Bit
 
 

would I still need "paragon os to ssd" to get my operating system,applications,etc. to my new ssd. Then use the imageing with free macrium?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Oct 2013   #24
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by truckinguy View Post
would I still need "paragon os to ssd" to get my operating system,applications,etc. to my new ssd. Then use the imageing with free macrium?
No you don't need paragon. But if you read my previous posts...you should already know.

Please post screenshot of disk management of your current disk layout.
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

What is the size of SSD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #25
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Actually you can use any cloning or backup/restore software. As long as it can shrink on restore/clone.... your SSD is most likely much smaller than your current harddisk!

Why are you hesitating?? You have a fine backup... isn't it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #26
truckinguy

Win7 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by truckinguy View Post
would I still need "paragon os to ssd" to get my operating system,applications,etc. to my new ssd. Then use the imageing with free macrium?
No you don't need paragon. But if you read my previous posts...you should already know.

Please post screenshot of disk management of your current disk layout.
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

What is the size of SSD?
My size would be 256 gb SSD. I only have 120 gb on my HDD primary as I store most data on the media bay drive in my Dell Latitude.

I read all of your posts but will read them again. As you think I'm missing something. You probably mean to image then restore the image to the new SSD instead of cloning my drive to the SSD. This is to get the SSD running I assume.


Attached Thumbnails
Paragon Migrate OS to SSD-disk-management.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #27
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

94MB partition isn't needed. Recovery partition not needed... it doesn't work anyway after relocation. But the problem is RECOVERY has the bootmanager on it and bootmenu.
So:
  1. Clone (not backup) C (697GB) only to SSD. Leave it a primary partition. It doesn't fit so will be shrunk automatically by macrium. Make it ACTIVE and align to 1MB
  2. Detach original HDD from system now!
  3. Do a startup repair 3 times from win7 install DVD (or win7 system repair CD) to recreate bootmanager and boot menu. Startup Repair
Partition Alignment make partition type PRIMARY ACTIVE. Set alignment as shown on that website.

Do you have a system repair cd/dvd? System Repair Disc - Create
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #28
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Did you set BIOS and win7 to AHCI already? AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #29
truckinguy

Win7 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
94MB partition isn't needed. Recovery partition not needed... it doesn't work anyway after relocation. But the problem is RECOVERY has the bootmanager on it and bootmenu.
So:
  1. Clone (not backup) C (697GB) only to SSD. Leave it a primary partition. It doesn't fit so will be shrunk automatically by macrium. Make it ACTIVE and align to 1MB
  2. Detach original HDD from system now!
  3. Do a startup repair 3 times from win7 install DVD (or win7 system repair CD) to recreate bootmanager and boot menu. Startup Repair
Partition Alignment make partition type PRIMARY ACTIVE. Set alignment as shown on that website.

Do you have a system repair cd/dvd? System Repair Disc - Create
No repair disc yet. I will make one. I need to set ACHI in both windows and the bios?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #30
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by truckinguy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
94MB partition isn't needed. Recovery partition not needed... it doesn't work anyway after relocation. But the problem is RECOVERY has the bootmanager on it and bootmenu.



So:
  1. Clone (not backup) C (697GB) only to SSD. Leave it a primary partition. It doesn't fit so will be shrunk automatically by macrium. Make it ACTIVE and align to 1MB
  2. Detach original HDD from system now!
  3. Do a startup repair 3 times from win7 install DVD (or win7 system repair CD) to recreate bootmanager and boot menu. Startup Repair
Partition Alignment make partition type PRIMARY ACTIVE. Set alignment as shown on that website.

Do you have a system repair cd/dvd? System Repair Disc - Create
No repair disc yet. I will make one. I need to set ACHI in both windows and the bios?
I already explained in #28 most likely it's already active. Yes it must be set in bios as well after changing the registry settings in win7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Paragon Migrate OS to SSD




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Used Paragon Migrate OS To SSD (Success):Now Disk Management Confusion
I migrated my Win 7 OS from my 'C' drive to a OCZ Vertex 4 256Gb SSD. No problems, everything works fine. But recently I was in 'Disk Management' and couldn't make sense of what I was seeing:my SSD was showing as drive 'H' with a capacity of 931Gb! Depending on which tool I use, I get...
Hardware & Devices
Free Today - Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 3.0
Giveaway of the Day has Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 3.0 Special Edition Free : Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 3.0 Special Edition (English) - Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 3.0 is the easiest OS migration to new Solid State Drives!
Software
Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 3.0 Special Edition For Free
Hi Guys Found this if anyone is interested, there giving it away for free the next 24 hours - Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 3.0 Special Edition (English) - Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 3.0 is the easiest OS migration to new Solid State Drives! ...
Installation & Setup
Trying to use Paragon Migrate to SSD with a dualboot disk.
I'm trying to replace my 500gb hard drive with a 480gb SanDisk Extreme SSD. I've done it before with my desktop, but this is my laptop, so I can't dual boot with different SSDs. The HD is divided into two with a "vanilla" W7 OS+Office etc, and a W7 and audio programs, and I'm using "Dual Boot...
Installation & Setup
I want to Migrate from Xp to 7 but...
Hope this is the right place. Hello all, I am about to purchase my first Windows 7 PC. But before I do I need help with my current XP system. You see last week I had a nasty malware infection that I thought I got rid of. Well today, the day I'm supposed to buy a new Win 7 pc. My goddamn computer...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App