Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: PC will Cold Boot but won't Warm boot?

15 Oct 2013   #21
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 


Well for my own personal preference I always downloaddrivers direct form the manufacturer I never use driver finders mate they arenothing but trouble.
If it is of any help try here
SAPPHIRE HD 7790 1GB GDDR5 DUAL-X OC#


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Oct 2013   #22
newpgm

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I did download the drivers directly from the manufacturer:
1st - SAPPHIRE HD 7790 1GB GDDR5 DUAL-X OC
2nd - AMD Catalyst? Display Driver
3rd time I allowed AMD auto-detect to install the driver for me.

& it has updated to revision 13.9 since then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2013   #23
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by newpgm View Post
I did download the drivers directly from the manufacturer:
1st - SAPPHIRE HD 7790 1GB GDDR5 DUAL-X OC
2nd - AMD Catalyst? Display Driver
3rd time I allowed AMD auto-detect to install the driver for me.

& it has updated to revision 13.9 since then.
Sorry mate I thought you meant you got it through one of those driver search sites. Like I said I used them in the past when I was a bit green and got myself into all sorts of strife.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Oct 2013   #24
Ranger4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit sp1
 
 

I experience this problem so I thought I would suggest a possible reason for it. In my case it is to do with a firmware update on my SSD which caused the problem. Apparently it caused a malfunction of the boot manager, so a restart while operating causes BIOS to lose the SSD as it will not show up at all.
A Shut Down & then a few minutes later starting the computer again works perfectly.
So could the OP's problem be caused by a boot manager problem on his hard drive. This is an area that I know little about but though my tuppence worth might help.
At this point my SSD is not repairable so I am going to change it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2013   #25
newpgm

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Sorry mate I thought you meant you got it through one of those driver search sites. Like I said I used them in the past when I was a bit green and got myself into all sorts of strife.
No Worries - a little of the jargon my relatives picked up down under.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ranger4 View Post
I experience this problem so I thought I would suggest a possible reason for it. In my case it is to do with a firmware update on my SSD which caused the problem. Apparently it caused a malfunction of the boot manager, so a restart while operating causes BIOS to lose the SSD as it will not show up at all.
A Shut Down & then a few minutes later starting the computer again works perfectly.
So could the OP's problem be caused by a boot manager problem on his hard drive. This is an area that I know little about but though my tuppence worth might help.
At this point my SSD is not repairable so I am going to change it.
Since I'm replacing so many components decided to go ahead & get the SSD too. So when it arrives will be doing a clean install of Windows. Seems to be some reservations on the Dell Forum regarding enabling AHCI not affecting the optical drives. Really gonna mess this PC up.
Hopefully the clean install will fix my AMD driver issues. If not maybe I can contact Sapphire?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2013   #26
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Yes mate jus remember to make sure the ACHI is set before you install and turn off the defrag and do it manually for any spinners and also do not do chkdsk's on it. I think I am right in saying that Windows will pickup the SSD when you do abut you can always go in and check the TRIM is set it isn't hard to do that.
AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista

Make Sure TRIM Is Enabled for Your Solid State Drive in Windows 7 for Better Performance

you might like this one too
SSD Alignment
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2013   #27
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I asked this question back in post #10 and I haven't been able to find the answer. Could someone guide me to the answer.?

Post #10
What power supply are you using at this time.

This has me confused also. I know nothing about a Dell M/B.
Post # 17

Hmm... Not plugging anything into the front panel switches, they came already attached the MOBO.

I'm trying to understand when this computer gets fixed what fixed it. At the present time my 3 brain cell haven't grasped the answer yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2013   #28
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Well Bear I did back in post#2 but the only answer was that the OP got a new Corsair CX500 and that it was noisy a couple of posts later.
You are right about Dell boards too they can be quite a mystery so I decided not to go there.

I guess t is wait and see time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2013   #29
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I have never seen a motherboard you didn't have to plug in the power switch on the tower (case).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2013   #30
newpgm

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I asked this question back in post #10 and I haven't been able to find the answer. Could someone guide me to the answer.?

Post #10
What power supply are you using at this time.

This has me confused also. I know nothing about a Dell M/B.
Post # 17

Hmm... Not plugging anything into the front panel switches, they came already attached the MOBO.

I'm trying to understand when this computer gets fixed what fixed it. At the present time my 3 brain cell haven't grasped the answer yet.
Power supply = Corsair Builder Series CX500 as ICit2lol said, the first was noisy & replaced. The new one is quiet.

Here is the front panel for the mini tower which is my PC - nothing to plug in:


Here is the front panel for the Full Tower which does require disconnecting:





The fix apparently was removing the AMD drivers &/or Catalyst Control Center.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 PC will Cold Boot but won't Warm boot?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD only on cold boot, 100% fine after warm reset
I've been having problems with my rig and the only piece I haven't replaced is my processor. I have literally replaced every piece of hardware. And am maybe coming to the conclusion that it is a compatibility problem with my Intel i7-920 and my Asus rampage iii gene mobo. I've updated BIOS,...
BSOD Help and Support
Random Freezing/BSOD, Boot Disk Failure, OK Cold Boot then Repeat
Yesterday Windows Explorer began to stop responding fairly frequently, but would restart itself without issue and continue to run fine. Today, Windows now freezes completely every 45ish minutes - usually a random program stops responding followed by everything, the mouse gets stuck,...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD Error 1033 on Cold Boot Up Fine on Warm
Good Morning Everyone, Appreciate all the help on this matter, but a relatively new rig here not sure exactly what is wrong with the machine. The error only occurs on a cold boot up and after 1-2 bsod it works fine the rest of the time. I've uploaded the error logs and i've ran RAM Test and...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD KSOD No Boot Win7 64bit Cold Boot
I'm at my wits end... The problem: First installed Windows 7 Proff 64-bit on this machine last monday after installing updates / drivers etc I began to recieve intermitent BSODs then began the trouble shooting. Tested memory with memtest86+ passed manually set voltages / timings ran...
BSOD Help and Support
Warm/Cold Start
When I ask my system to do a warm start i.e. a restart not a shut down it always does a cold start ie as if I had just pressed the start button on the desktop to start my computer. I seem to remember that on XP there was a differance between cold start (boot up) and a warm start. Or am I...
General Discussion
Warm boot problem
A weird problem has developed when booting to Windows7. From a cold start all is well and the computer will run for days, but if I do a warm restart or shut down and start right away it goes to "Starting Windows" with the Windows Logo; stays there for about 10 seconds then appears to carry on...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App