Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SSD installing need help

23 Oct 2013   #11
jossmer

win 7 utlitmate 64bit sp1
 
 

Many thanks for all the advice Guys. I shall utilise the best options and let you know how I got on.

Thanks

Edit: it seems I have miss quoted the actual space on my current c:/ drive. Doh!!!

here are the correct figures:

C:/ 456gb
C:/ used 105gb
C:/ free space 360gb

So this makes things a lot easier now. It will all transfer onto my new SSD.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Oct 2013   #12
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

With 105GBs of data the transfer is a piece of cake - especially if you use the Paragon Migration Tool.

Note: I have no stake in that Paragon Tool but it has always impressed me - and I think it has convinced others too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2013   #13
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

I have used the Paragon tool at least 50 times and WHS is right, in 20 minutes you will be using your SSD installed correctly. I have never had it fail.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Oct 2013   #14
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
With 105GBs of data the transfer is a piece of cake - especially if you use the Paragon Migration Tool.

Note: I have no stake in that Paragon Tool but it has always impressed me - and I think it has convinced others too.
What's so special with Paragon Tool migrate to SSD (non free)?
In my opinion you can use any tool that clones or backups/restores partitions. Very handy if the program can shrink partitions on clone (most can it). It must adjust the bootmenu as well (change bootmenu so it's based on new disk signature and start sector of new win7 partition).

All those options are in normal backup programs as well. Clone HDD to HDD is same procedure as clone HDD to SSD.

Only very important thing: partitions should be "aligned" properly. Most backup programs can that as well. You even can do that afterwards with Partition Wizard. Align All Partitions ? MiniTool Partition Wizard help.

Maybe I fogot something (please teel me). But why is Paragon Tool migrate to SSD recommended so much?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2013   #15
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
With 105GBs of data the transfer is a piece of cake - especially if you use the Paragon Migration Tool.

Note: I have no stake in that Paragon Tool but it has always impressed me - and I think it has convinced others too.
What's so special with Paragon Tool migrate to SSD (non free)?
In my opinion you can use any tool that clones or backups/restores partitions. Very handy if the program can shrink partitions on clone (most can it). It must adjust the bootmenu as well (change bootmenu so it's based on new disk signature and start sector of new win7 partition).

All those options are in normal backup programs as well. Clone HDD to HDD is same procedure as clone HDD to SSD.

Only very important thing: partitions should be "aligned" properly. Most backup programs can that as well. You even can do that afterwards with Partition Wizard. Align All Partitions ? MiniTool Partition Wizard help.

Maybe I fogot something (please teel me). But why is Paragon Tool migrate to SSD recommended so much?
What's special about the Paragon Tool is that it is very easy to use and always works.

But I agree with you, there are other (free) options to do the job. But mucking around with Command Prompt and Imaging programs is not everybody's game. And some of the migration programs that come with the SSDs have been reported to be troublesome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2013   #16
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
With 105GBs of data the transfer is a piece of cake - especially if you use the Paragon Migration Tool.

Note: I have no stake in that Paragon Tool but it has always impressed me - and I think it has convinced others too.
What's so special with Paragon Tool migrate to SSD (non free)?
In my opinion you can use any tool that clones or backups/restores partitions. Very handy if the program can shrink partitions on clone (most can it). It must adjust the bootmenu as well (change bootmenu so it's based on new disk signature and start sector of new win7 partition).

All those options are in normal backup programs as well. Clone HDD to HDD is same procedure as clone HDD to SSD.

Only very important thing: partitions should be "aligned" properly. Most backup programs can that as well. You even can do that afterwards with Partition Wizard. Align All Partitions ? MiniTool Partition Wizard help.

Maybe I fogot something (please teel me). But why is Paragon Tool migrate to SSD recommended so much?
What's special about the Paragon Tool is that it is very easy to use and always works.

But I agree with you, there are other (free) options to do the job. But mucking around with Command Prompt and Imaging programs is not everybody's game. And some of the migration programs that come with the SSDs have been reported to be troublesome.
I use Macrium Reflect to clone partitions. Logical paritions stay logical, primary partitions stay primary. Active partition stays ACTIVE (unless there's already an ACTIVE partition, but most likely SSD is totally clean). Very flexible and free. Realignment is most of the time automatic (unless it was improperly aligned in source, but win7 itself aligns it by default) Partition Alignment

No mucking around with command prompt. It's just simple drag and drop.

Can Paragon Tool migrate to SSD also be run on running win7 system (so I can do that remotely)? If so.. I'll give it a try
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2013   #17
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
Can Paragon Tool migrate to SSD also be run on running Windows 7 system (so I can do that remotely)? If so.. I'll give it a try
Answer is YES. That's the way to run it anyhow. You install the tool on your system, attach the SSD via USB and run the tool. 3 clicks and appr. 20 minutes later your system is on the SSD. The tool even recognizes the SSD in the USB caddy automatically.

As a fan of Macrium I have done the migration many times also. I usually prepare my SSD with cmd and define a primary, active, aligned partition first. Then I don't have to worry about the alignment. It's an old habit because the earlier versions of Macrium did not keep the original alignment and if the system comes from a HDD, the original alignment is questionable anyhow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2013   #18
OCIR

windows 7 home permium 64 bits
 
 

Gaming on ssd load times are fast.game play is the same. I play BF3 and it loads fast i guess I like seeing the countdown timer and knowing I am not the last one ingame. lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2013   #19
truckinguy

Win7 64 Bit
 
 

I tried the Magican software that came with my Samsung Pro 256 and it failed to migrate. I bought the Paragon OS to SSD and it when fast and no issues. I used it a few times and it hasn't failed once.
I'm not sure but it might have the option to migrate only certain folders,etc. you want? not sure. I've read so much recently on migration I am dizzy but love the new SSD..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2013   #20
jossmer

win 7 utlitmate 64bit sp1
 
 

Well guys using the clone wizard failed. So it ended up being a clean install of OS on to SSD. All is well now and thank you all for your help and suggestion.

Thank you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SSD installing need help




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Updates Not Installing : Error Unknown (Sits on Installing)
Hi, To give you some back story, I built my computer the end of August 2012. Ran Smoothly. I decided to get a 60 gig SSD to be the partition that stored Windows. I didnt have much stored on the Main HD so I deleted my original 2TB HD and tried installing on the SSD... found that the SSD was bad...
Windows Updates & Activation
Help Installing a New OS onto my SSD.
Hey, I recently purchased a Samsung 840 SSD, and a new copy of windows 7. I currently have windows 32 bit installed on my PC, but then new copy I bought is a 64 bit version. If anyone could run me through the installation process of the new version of windows that would be great. I want to get...
Installation & Setup
Installing XP with VirtualBox, Then Installing Programs to Virtual OS?
I have 7 Ultimate right now, I want to install XP through VirtualBox, which is all well and fine, I know how to do that. But my question is; can I install programs that will be using XP? Say I give the virtual OS like 30gb of space, around 2gb of RAM, then while running XP in VirtualBox, can I...
Installation & Setup
Sp1 is not installing for me
I have tried 10 times yesterday and once in last ten minutes to install sp1 using windows update on my pc(on laptop atm to post here). I turned off all open programs except windows update.turned off virus and firewall.So far i keep getting unknown error.It downloads as follows 0percent at o0mb fo...
Windows Updates & Activation
Installing Updates and Installing features part of windows setup menu
How do I installing something during the Windows Setup Menu's Installing features and Installing updates? John:D:thumbsup::what:
Installation & Setup
Avg 9 is not installing after installing windows xp
:cry: AVG 9 IS NOT INSTALLING AFTER INSTALLING :orb: WINDOWS XP I HAVE INCLUDED THE REPORT WHAT IT SAYS.:cry: i have installed from that setup previously
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:44.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App