Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Harddrive constantly running!

07 Nov 2013   #1
sisrace

Windows 8.1 non PRO 64Bit
 
 
Harddrive constantly running!

Hi i mentioned this earlier but i didnt solve the problem, im running my desktop windows vista machine, and the harddrive never stops working, it sound really bad, i searches for this and someone said that you coult see what whas happening in the task manager with io reads and other io activity tabs turned on, the tasks that showing the most activity was windows tasks and the highest is avg with over 20-40k reading score i will remove avg and se if it fixes it but othervise, what should i do?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #2
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Hi i mentioned this earlier but i didnt solve the problem, im running my desktop windows vista machine, and the harddrive never stops working, it sound really bad, i searches for this and someone said that you coult see what whas happening in the task manager with io reads and other io activity tabs turned on, the tasks that showing the most activity was windows tasks with over 12-19k reading score.. why is this?
Check the following site for some useful information regarding hard drive faliure;

http://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #3
sisrace

Windows 8.1 non PRO 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Hi i mentioned this earlier but i didnt solve the problem, im running my desktop windows vista machine, and the harddrive never stops working, it sound really bad, i searches for this and someone said that you coult see what whas happening in the task manager with io reads and other io activity tabs turned on, the tasks that showing the most activity was windows tasks with over 12-19k reading score.. why is this?
Check the following site for some useful information regarding hard drive faliure;

http://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

HTH
i checked fast and i dont think its about to fail at all, but the thing that worries me is that it never freaking stops smattering and working and all that!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #4
sisrace

Windows 8.1 non PRO 64Bit
 
 

Oh btw, the biggest hardrive user is svchost.exe usage: System and its using over 450K I/O readings!what is this and why does it use so much harddrive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #5
sisrace

Windows 8.1 non PRO 64Bit
 
 

One of the svchost.exe is now running at 1.2million I/O readings and 8.8million other I/O Readings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2013   #6
rvcjew

Win 7 PRO x64, WIN 8.1 PRO x64
 
 

it is probably indexing your drive did you recently install the os?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2013   #7
sisrace

Windows 8.1 non PRO 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
it is probably indexing your drive did you recently install the os?
Well i reinstalled the computer but that was for quite a while ago, but im getting a lot of updates and the computer has been unused for a while, but the harddrive was doing that even when i had used the computer for a long time like a year or so, it a windows vista if i didnt mention that before
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2013   #8
rvcjew

Win 7 PRO x64, WIN 8.1 PRO x64
 
 

oh i figured it was seven also where are you seeing your performance numbers? in the resource monitor?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2013   #9
sisrace

Windows 8.1 non PRO 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
oh i figured it was seven also where are you seeing your performance numbers? in the resource monitor?
i looked in the task manager and whent into monitor something... and there i activated I/O reading and other I/O thing.. and there the svhost.exe or what it was was running at over 10million other io readings and 2million io readings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2013   #10
rvcjew

Win 7 PRO x64, WIN 8.1 PRO x64
 
 

are you seeing activity show up this window?


Attached Thumbnails
-activity.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Harddrive constantly running!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Harddrive constantly running!
Thread Forum
My Harddrive is running constantly Performance & Maintenance
how and what do i need to get a new harddrive up and running General Discussion
Hard drive Constantly running Performance & Maintenance
Periodic error: Programs freeze and harddrive LED is constantly on Performance & Maintenance
my fan is constantly running and is very noisy what do i do? Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App