Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: need help with data transfer via SATA to USB

18 Nov 2013   #1
Amaterasu

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 
need help with data transfer via SATA to USB

i'm going abroad for a while with my laptop. i can't take my desktop pc, but i can take the hard drive which has 1.5 TB of data on it. my laptop top hard drive is only 750GB big so i bought a USB 3.0 to SATA cable so that i can you my hard drive when i'm away i plug my hard drive into my laptop it is on and you can hear it and in the bottom corner on my laptop screen it said installed new drive software but my hard drive is not show up on my laptop i have taken some picture as you can see below so how do i get it to show up on my laptop please help me i have 1 month untill i leave thanks jake




Attached Thumbnails
need help with data transfer via SATA to USB-2.jpg   need help with data transfer via SATA to USB-3.jpg   need help with data transfer via SATA to USB-1.jpg   need help with data transfer via SATA to USB-4.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Nov 2013   #2
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

With the drive connected, if you go to Disk Management, does it show up there?
Start > type: "Computer Management" in the search box > Disk Management

Does this drive contain an operating system?

BTW: where did you get that hard drive case? That's great! I want one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2013   #3
Amaterasu

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
With the drive connected, if you go to Disk Management, does it show up there?
Start > type: "Computer Management" in the search box > Disk Management

Does this drive contain an operating system?

BTW: where did you get that hard drive case? That's great! I want one.
hi there sorry for the late reply

yes it does should up there

yes my laptop and the hard drive have windows 7 ultimate

got the case off ebay 5 colours to choose from it think it was like 2 i had a look in my ebay history to see if i could find it but i couldn't find it sorry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Nov 2013   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

From my experience it is not a good idea to open a system drive from another PC. All kinds of things can happen with the permissions. You also take a great risk transporting this drive. One knock on it and you get a headcrash and you lose your system.

I would recommend to buy another drive just for the data and copy that on the original system where the drive belongs. If it is not too much data you may even get away with a big USB stick. Last 32GB stick I bought was $22.

They also sold refurbished 60GB SSDs for $39. Those risk nothing during transport. Maybe there are similar options in the UK.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2013   #5
Amaterasu

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
From my experience it is not a good idea to open a system drive from another PC. All kinds of things can happen with the permissions. You also take a great risk transporting this drive. One knock on it and you get a headcrash and you lose your system.

I would recommend to buy another drive just for the data and copy that on the original system where the drive belongs. If it is not too much data you may even get away with a big USB stick. Last 32GB stick I bought was $22.

They also sold refurbished 60GB SSDs for $39. Those risk nothing during transport. Maybe there are similar options in the UK.
i have 1.5 TB of data i don't think it will fit on a memory stick and i have a 32 GB memory stick
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2013   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

And I guess you have to carry 1.5TB of data around.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Nov 2013   #7
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

First, your drive is connected and recognized by Windows. That is good.

Check in Disk Management to see that the drive has a drive letter. If it does not, try and give it one.

If that drive just has one big partition (C) and that partition contains an operating system then it is probably flagged ACTIVE at the hardware level.
Window will sometimes ignore partitions that are marked ACTIVE while running another operating system.

If you post a screenshot of your Disk Management window with that drive connected - expanded so we can read everything - we may be able to see what is going on in an instant.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Nov 2013   #8
Amaterasu

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
First, your drive is connected and recognized by Windows. That is good.

Check in Disk Management to see that the drive has a drive letter. If it does not, try and give it one.

If that drive just has one big partition (C) and that partition contains an operating system then it is probably flagged ACTIVE at the hardware level.
Window will sometimes ignore partitions that are marked ACTIVE while running another operating system.

If you post a screenshot of your Disk Management window with that drive connected - expanded so we can read everything - we may be able to see what is going on in an instant.
hi there i think i was looking in the wrong place this is the first time i have tried to do this so i'm a beginner at this stuff here are the picture you asked for


Attached Thumbnails
need help with data transfer via SATA to USB-1.jpg   need help with data transfer via SATA to USB-2.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Nov 2013   #9
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Just for your information - this is only a 750GB disk and the amount of data (without the OS) on it is appr. 390GB (in decimal).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Nov 2013   #10
Amaterasu

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

that was my laptop not my desktop hard drive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 need help with data transfer via SATA to USB




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
USB data transfer speeds
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit with Service Pack 1. I have a P8Z77-V DELUXE M/B, i7-3770 CPU. All the USB drivers are the latest drivers and Windows itself is totally up to date. Yet, when I connect any USB device, I get extremely slow data transfers. I backed up some of my data to an...
Hardware & Devices
Old IDE drive to Sata with converter connections etc to transfer data
Do I need to remove the jumpers from my IDE drive..if not does anyone know what positions they or it must use.. Can it be done this way..? Mods may be wrong forum..sorry if it is..
Hardware & Devices
Transfer data from old HDD to new HDD
Hi guys, Comes Feb I'll be getting a new HDD and a new DVD-RW as my drives are 5 years old. They're still working but nothing lasts forever right? My HDD is partitioned to C: and D: for boot and storage. I'd like to do the same with the new HDD and transfer the data to it. How would I do it?...
Hardware & Devices
Data transfer using wifi
Hello friends, Guys actually i want to transfer some data from my mobile (wifi enabled) to my laptop (wifi enabled) over wifi.... So can anyone please help me to teach me how to transfer data over wifi???? Thanks a lot.... :):)
Network & Sharing
USB Data Transfer BSOD
I have read around the forums and found several people with this issue. However they were all OEM Computers, my computer is custom built. The problem I run into is large data transfer over USB. The transfer will run about 30min-1hr and then my computer will BSOD and restart. Any advice on possible...
BSOD Help and Support
Install on new HD, old data transfer?
Fewer than three days to go until Sevenday! I currently have 2 hard drives, one for the Vista x86 system, and the other for "My Files" (Documents, Email, Downloads, Pictures ...) although there are naturally a few important files also saved on the system drive. I plan to do a clean install...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:22.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App