Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.

Windows 7: Installing mSata SSD to T520

08 Dec 2013   #1
ChrisPbass

7 Ultimate 64 bit

Installing mSata SSD to T520

I've used the following article to change my boot disk to mSATA Triple your speed Laptop magazine

EDIT: Win 7 pro / Lenovo T520 Thinkpad / 8GB ram.
I installed the mSATA Intel 525 120GB SATA III
quite a while ago and it's been sitting and doing nothing. I did run Intel tools on it and I also used Macrium to image the original HD and I plonked it down on the new mSATA.
Laptop has been rebooted many times. mSATA seems stable.

I got to the step in the article above where I'm supposed to boot to the mSATA and load easyBCD to change the drive letter.
Last 'successful' step was going into the BIOS and changing the boot option to the SSD.
When I try to boot I get
Autochk program not found, skipping and BSOD.
The BSOD is very quick and unusually short. It looks like 2 or 3 lines only. The laptop then quickly reboots.

The mSATA is MBR and has only one partition.

I have no idea what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

The good news is that I can still boot to the original HD and Win 7 still works!

EDIT: Apparently this means there is a problem with the boot record.
I loaded the Win 7 disc and tried a system repair. It ran but couldn't repair.
Went into recovery cmd prompt as administrator.

/bootrec rebuilding - found 0 windows installs
/mbr and /fixboot .... both end unsucsefully

My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #2
richnrockville

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

ChrisPbass, I always recommend removal or disconnect all other hard disks when installing the OS, it saves a lot of aggravation
and allows the OS to be properly installed and bootable.
I would remove the existing drives and do a re-install on the SSD without any other drives present.

Rich
11 Dec 2013   #3
SandeepP

Winndows 7 32 bit

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisPbass View Post
I've used the following article to change my boot disk to mSATA Triple your speed Laptop magazine

quite a while ago and it's been sitting and doing nothing. I did run Intel tools on it and I also used Macrium to image the original HD and I plonked it down on the new mSATA.

I got to the step in the article above where I'm supposed to boot to the mSATA and load easyBCD to change the drive letter.
Last 'successful' step was going into the BIOS and changing the boot option to the SSD.
When I try to boot I get
The BSOD is very quick and unusually short. It looks like 2 or 3 lines only. The laptop then quickly reboots.

The good news is that I can still boot to the original HD and Win 7 still works!

Hi ChrisPbass,

It is always advisable to perform a clean install of windows to ensure smooth functioning of the windows. Check this article which should work for you as well:

Install Windows on MSATA (SSD) Drive

Keep us posted with the results so we can advise you further.

11 Dec 2013   #4
ChrisPbass

7 Ultimate 64 bit

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SandeepP View Post

When I try to boot I get

Hi ChrisPbass,

It is always advisable to perform a clean install of windows to ensure smooth functioning of the windows. Check this article which should work for you as well:

Install Windows on MSATA (SSD) Drive

I *really* don't want to do a clean install. There are *many* accounting programs and some email configurations that were done remotely and I don't have the ability/know-how to re-configure. They were done by a wife's client and they would do it again but I really don't want to ask them.
Please help with the autocheck thing!
11 Dec 2013   #5
bobafetthotmail

Win 7 Pro 64-bit 7601

I assume the issue is that something screwed up the MBR or bootloader. Try this tutorial

of course no warranties.
11 Dec 2013   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8

When you imaged and restored, you may have forgotten the 100MB system partition that contains your bootmgr.

Have a look on your original installation whether there is a 100MB system partition. If yes, best is to move the bootmgr to C.

Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD

Then reimage C and restore it again on the SSD.
11 Dec 2013   #7
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobafetthotmail View Post
I assume the issue is that something screwed up the MBR or bootloader. Try this tutorial

of course no warranties.
That is another option but it won't work if the C partition is not active - which is probably the case here. To set it active you need to use the bootable CD of Partition Wizard.
12 Dec 2013   #8
SandeepP

Winndows 7 32 bit

I *really* don't want to do a clean install. There are *many* accounting programs and some email configurations that were done remotely and I don't have the ability/know-how to re-configure. They were done by a wife's client and they would do it again but I really don't want to ask them.
Please help with the autocheck thing!
Hi ChrisPbass,

You should perform the steps suggested by whs and bobafetthotmail and let us know the results.

Also, check this tutorial which should be helpful and you can set partition as active to ensure it to boot correctly:

SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System

12 Dec 2013   #9
ChrisPbass

7 Ultimate 64 bit

I plan on following the tutorial. I am anxious to get this done but the pc is used for business all week.
The SSD was in fact not active...So that's the first step.
13 Dec 2013   #10
SandeepP

Winndows 7 32 bit

I plan on following the tutorial. I am anxious to get this done but the pc is used for business all week.
The SSD was in fact not active...So that's the first step.
Hi ChrisPbass,

Please perform the steps with your convenience and let us know the results. If required we would advise further.

Set the SSD active and then perform the startup repair using the disc and if it doesn't work then perform the tutorials.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Installing mSata SSD to T520