Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to format write-protected USB flash

19 Dec 2013   #11
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

The image in post #5 shows
Current Read-Only State: YES

The Diskpart command should resolve the issue - no need to muck in the registry
Select the correct disk in diskpart and then issue
att disk clear readonly


My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2013   #12
Kurdman

windows 7 32-bit
 
 

I did that work. this is the image.
But still problem exists.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2013   #13
Kurdman

windows 7 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
that sucks, try this> How to format a write-protected USB flash drive or memory card - PC Advisor as its is more things you can try in diskpart to actually remove the attribute and format it. also the reg trick looks interesting if windows doesn't care then it might just let you format it, i would backup your registry first though.
I have did those works before posting this problem here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2013   #14
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

The volume label and format leads me to suspect a virtual reader might be causing some issues.
Do you have any disk imaging SW / virtual OD emulators? (DaemonTools, MagicISO,...)


Please post the following system information: Speccy snapshot

How to publish a Speccy snapshot:
Click on the Speccy file menu and select Publish Snapshot. This method removes sensitive information and provides you with a link to the report.

Copy the link returned from Publish Snapshot and paste it in a post on this thread so members have more information to better assist you.



Published Speccy report of my machine: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CHlegp43qppad1Ua8dOLDAj

Thanks


Please also post a new diskpart

diskpart
lis dis
sel dis # - where # = the removable HD
lis vol
det dis
sel vol # - where #= volumes on the removable HD (do the sel and det for each volume on the HD)
det vol
exit
exit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2013   #15
Kurdman

windows 7 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
The volume label and format leads me to suspect a virtual reader might be causing some issues.
Do you have any disk imaging SW / virtual OD emulators? (DaemonTools, MagicISO,...)


Please post the following system information: Speccy snapshot

How to publish a Speccy snapshot:
Click on the Speccy file menu and select Publish Snapshot. This method removes sensitive information and provides you with a link to the report.

Copy the link returned from Publish Snapshot and paste it in a post on this thread so members have more information to better assist you.



Published Speccy report of my machine: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CHlegp43qppad1Ua8dOLDAj

Thanks


Please also post a new diskpart

diskpart
lis dis
sel dis # - where # = the removable HD
lis vol
det dis
sel vol # - where #= volumes on the removable HD (do the sel and det for each volume on the HD)
det vol
exit
exit
Sorry I can post (if I haven't posted before) snapshots of diskpart but about that huge information about all of my machine's details it causes me to think that "This is a risk". sorry again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2013   #16
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Ok, but that's like taking your car in for repairs and not letting the mechanic look under the hood. There's no personal information in the PUBLISHED report that is of any use (sure the computer name and profile name is published, but that's not private information).

Please post the diskpart information. If that doesn't show anything interesting I won't be much help without the Speccy info.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kurdman View Post
Sorry I can post (if I haven't posted before) snapshots of diskpart but about that huge information about all of my machine's details it causes me to think that "This is a risk". sorry again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2013   #17
carwiz

Windows 7 Pro-x64
 
 

Was the USB written on another PC?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2013   #18
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Have I missed something.
How did this device get wright protected in the first place?
Is this device also copy right protected?
Has this device been encrypted?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2013   #19
straubalexander

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Be Administrator
Then Right-Click>Properties>Security>Edit>Add>(Add Username)>Check Full Control>Apply/OK
THEN YOU'RE DONE!(Remember to change the attributes for Read Only Unchecked!)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2013   #20
straubalexander

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Own risk

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by straubalexander View Post
Be Administrator
Then Right-Click>Properties>Security>Edit>Add>(Add Username)>Check Full Control>Apply/OK
THEN YOU'RE DONE!(Remember to change the attributes for Read Only Unchecked!)
I forgot to mention that if something goes wrong,I am not the troublemaker!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to format write-protected USB flash




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
If a usb says don't format me i am write protected then what to do
If a usb says don't format me i am write protected then what to do? :eek:
Hardware & Devices
Can't format my Kingston 8GB USB, it says the disk is write protected
Already tried DiskPart-> clean and it didn't work. This just happened when i plugged my USB into my 3.0 port and did the automated windows "scan and fix" option when it popped up, afterwards It errored and i cant access my files anymore, nor format it as it says "write protected" I also tried...
Hardware & Devices
Flash Drive Write Protected
can anybody sand me a link where i can follow the steps on how to make my flashdrive remove the "write protect" error.
Hardware & Devices
Flash drive WRITE PROTECTED,, not able to format
I am having some problems with my flash drive (SANDISK 8GB), i can't format and change any file of my flash drive, every method for flushing my data gave me the same respond, THE DISK IS WRITE PROTECTED, i googled for the same but all was in vain,,, i tried formatting my drive with command...
General Discussion
How to remove/format write-protected USB's?
Hey guys, I've got a write-protected USB and wanting to remove it so I can manage files on it. I've also searched the webs for methods, however they do not work. I've tried formatting using CMD via safe mode, setting value to 0 in regedit, go into properties and change sharing settings to "full...
Hardware & Devices
How to Format a Write Protected Disk
I have "Jetflash Transend 8GB" flash drive. I can't format it. When i try to delete or format it this error appears "The disk is write protected" so how do i format it. That flash drive contains some Trojan horses.
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App