Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to format write-protected USB flash

23 Dec 2013   #51
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

As Rich said here this could be a USB drive which was produced for publicity and is locked. It may be a catalog of a company's products, or a brochure of some kind. Where did it come from?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Dec 2013   #52
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

I am herewith addressing all those who were and are participating in this thread and not the OP.

The OP here has been deliberately suppressing the facts and taking everyone here for a ride.

From the way he has answered my query or evaded a staraight answer all along, it is now very certain that this pen drive is a propreitary pen drive manufactured by Silicon Power . Some of their clients include AMD,Yamaha, Weblink, Lattice, Eaton etc.,

Instead of saying "I have such and such a pen drive which is write-protected and I want to repurpose it now and use it, he made it appear as a general consumer device making a fool of everyone here. And then he had the audacity to say that had I read through the thread I would have found the answers to my questions

"Do you have other pen drives and do those work as usual on your PC?

What about this 8GB pen drive? Does it function properly on another PC?"

Look at the reply he gave me.

Hmmm... I had many many months back dealt with another OP who had said "I have such and such a pen drive supplied to me by a software vendor and having copied the software to my PC and also having installed it, I now want to repurpose the drive and use it." While I don't exactly remember what transpired further (I do not remember what happened four days ago, leave alone months ago) what I do remember is that he found that the software vendor himself had given the antidote for that and he reclaimed the drive. Not all the propreitors are so magnanimous. But there is an elaborate process involved in finding the flash controller used in the drive and reflashing it with an appropriate firmware often with lots of modifications. While there are a certain group of adventurists who take it up as a challenge and do it, it is not normally possible for ordinary users.

In this case the OP had camouflaged everything and taken us one and all for a ride and does not deserve to be helped any further. I request the mods to close and lock this thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2013   #53
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Seems like way too trouble for a $5 device.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Dec 2013   #54
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Exactly. And that is the advice I would have given had the OP been straight. Find out from the proprietor whether he provides the necessary firmware to reflash and reclaim the drive and if not forget about it. And this thread wouldn't have gone into 54 posts wasting so many people's brains and time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2013   #55
carwiz

Windows 7 Pro-x64
 
 

Ah, come on. I think we all learned something.

I didn't read through all 50-something posts but did the OP try to take ownership of the flash drive?

From Elevated Command Prompt: takeown /f <drive-letter>: /r /d y

Example: takeown /f J: /r /d y
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2013   #56
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

From my post #18.
Quote:
Have I missed something.
How did this device get wright protected in the first place?
Is this device also copy right protected?
Has this device been encrypted?
Seem to me this device was not intended to be copied, accessed or formated using legal means. Somebody (owner) wanted it that way.

I would suggest that this applies here.

Windows 7 Help Forums - Forum Rules

6) No discussions of hacking someones system, network, password, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2013   #57
Franky

windows 7 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
As Rich said here this could be a USB drive which was produced for publicity and is locked. It may be a catalog of a company's products, or a brochure of some kind. Where did it come from?
No, I have bought that flash which was like any other ordinary flashes here (my locale) and I have formatted, read from and write on it many times before.
What is in my mind is I think the only solution that works on that flash is a hardware method.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2013   #58
Franky

windows 7 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
I am herewith addressing all those who were and are participating in this thread and not the OP.

The OP here has been deliberately suppressing the facts and taking everyone here for a ride.

From the way he has answered my query or evaded a staraight answer all along, it is now very certain that this pen drive is a propreitary pen drive manufactured by Silicon Power . Some of their clients include AMD,Yamaha, Weblink, Lattice, Eaton etc.,

Instead of saying "I have such and such a pen drive which is write-protected and I want to repurpose it now and use it, he made it appear as a general consumer device making a fool of everyone here. And then he had the audacity to say that had I read through the thread I would have found the answers to my questions

"Do you have other pen drives and do those work as usual on your PC?

What about this 8GB pen drive? Does it function properly on another PC?"

Look at the reply he gave me.

Hmmm... I had many many months back dealt with another OP who had said "I have such and such a pen drive supplied to me by a software vendor and having copied the software to my PC and also having installed it, I now want to repurpose the drive and use it." While I don't exactly remember what transpired further (I do not remember what happened four days ago, leave alone months ago) what I do remember is that he found that the software vendor himself had given the antidote for that and he reclaimed the drive. Not all the propreitors are so magnanimous. But there is an elaborate process involved in finding the flash controller used in the drive and reflashing it with an appropriate firmware often with lots of modifications. While there are a certain group of adventurists who take it up as a challenge and do it, it is not normally possible for ordinary users.

In this case the OP had camouflaged everything and taken us one and all for a ride and does not deserve to be helped any further. I request the mods to close and lock this thread.
Don't insult. It's your choice to participate in a thread or not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2013   #59
Franky

windows 7 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carwiz View Post
Ah, come on. I think we all learned something.

I didn't read through all 50-something posts but did the OP try to take ownership of the flash drive?

From Elevated Command Prompt: takeown /f <drive-letter>: /r /d y

Example: takeown /f J: /r /d y
thank you. But it didn't work.


Attached Thumbnails
How to format write-protected USB flash-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2013   #60
Franky

windows 7 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
From my post #18.
Quote:
Have I missed something.
How did this device get wright protected in the first place?
Is this device also copy right protected?
Has this device been encrypted?
Seem to me this device was not intended to be copied, accessed or formated using legal means. Somebody (owner) wanted it that way.

I would suggest that this applies here.

Windows 7 Help Forums - Forum Rules

6) No discussions of hacking someones system, network, password, etc.
It is a very very ordinary flash to be used for reading, writing, formatting and any other works like any other purchased flashes. I paid money for it. But it is damaged. when It was running on a video device I brought it out without safe removing it. I think it damaged the flash.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to format write-protected USB flash




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
If a usb says don't format me i am write protected then what to do
If a usb says don't format me i am write protected then what to do? :eek:
Hardware & Devices
Can't format my Kingston 8GB USB, it says the disk is write protected
Already tried DiskPart-> clean and it didn't work. This just happened when i plugged my USB into my 3.0 port and did the automated windows "scan and fix" option when it popped up, afterwards It errored and i cant access my files anymore, nor format it as it says "write protected" I also tried...
Hardware & Devices
Flash Drive Write Protected
can anybody sand me a link where i can follow the steps on how to make my flashdrive remove the "write protect" error.
Hardware & Devices
Flash drive WRITE PROTECTED,, not able to format
I am having some problems with my flash drive (SANDISK 8GB), i can't format and change any file of my flash drive, every method for flushing my data gave me the same respond, THE DISK IS WRITE PROTECTED, i googled for the same but all was in vain,,, i tried formatting my drive with command...
General Discussion
How to remove/format write-protected USB's?
Hey guys, I've got a write-protected USB and wanting to remove it so I can manage files on it. I've also searched the webs for methods, however they do not work. I've tried formatting using CMD via safe mode, setting value to 0 in regedit, go into properties and change sharing settings to "full...
Hardware & Devices
How to Format a Write Protected Disk
I have "Jetflash Transend 8GB" flash drive. I can't format it. When i try to delete or format it this error appears "The disk is write protected" so how do i format it. That flash drive contains some Trojan horses.
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:06.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App