Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB Devices not seen in Windows 7

31 Dec 2013   #1
dTonic

 
USB Devices not seen in Windows 7

I just installed Windows 7 in a new system for my mother. In the past she was using Windows XP. We used to backup her photos by inserting a USB external HDD to the computer and copying files to it. Now with Windows 7 I am having trouble doing this.

I plugged the same 3.5in USB external HDD into a USB port of her Windows 7 system. Immediately a bubble popup was seen that said drivers were being installed for the new device. Eventually a message also stated that the drivers were installed and device was working properly. BUT.......

But, there was no drive listing for the device in Windows Explorer. I could not access the drive.
The drive is powered by the USB, and it was spinning, with a red LED lit on the device to indicate power.


I had a similar issue with the HP Printer PSC 1200. It installed drivers automatically and said the device was working properly. BUT...
But, the device was not in the list of printers when I attempted to print.

Another USB Device, a Logitech QuickCam works OK though.

Device manager shows no errors for the USBs and I have used the FS USB for flash drives with no problem.

looking for insight!

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
31 Dec 2013   #2
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Have you restarted the machine?

Have you run Windows Update (WU)? Updating Windows might help or it might find a printer driver.

Have you tried different USB ports?

Any chance the new machine has USB 3.0 ports? They often (always?) require drivers.

What does device mgr show with the HD and printer connected?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2013   #3
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

HP PCS 1200 x64 driver: Software & driver downloads HP PSC 1200 All-in-One Printer | HP® Support
If your OS is 32 bit, just select that in drop down box on the HP site

Can't tell what bit depth your OS is - please follow the EZ System Specs link in my sig. You'll have to manually add the make and model of the PC. click on any post "My system specs" to see how other member's machines are described. The tool in the link does most of the heavy lifting though.

Also, it will help knowing the make and model of the ext HD

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Dec 2013   #4
dTonic

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post

Have you restarted the machine?
Yes.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Have you run Windows Update (WU)? Updating Windows might help or it might find a printer driver.
Yes, WU were up-to-date as of Dec. 29th 2013

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Have you tried different USB ports?
With the printer I tried both USB 2 and USB 3 adapter card....no difference.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Any chance the new machine has USB 3.0 ports? They often (always?) require drivers.
There are USB 3 Ports in the back that I installed and added the drivers for...they work fine
The Card Reader/USB device in the Front also had drivers installed for it.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
What does device mgr show with the HD and printer connected?
Not sure I checked the USB HDD in device mgr with it connected. The printer shows up in device mgr and has no issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2013   #5
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Thanks, was hoping something simple might resolve the issue - time to dig deeper.

Try this: SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Run Option Two in the the tutorial three times (SFC works in small chunks)
restarting the machine between each

run it multiple times even if it reports no integrity issues
after the thrid execution, follow Option Three in the tutorial and post sfcdetails.txt
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2013   #6
dTonic

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
HP PCS 1200 x64 driver: Software & driver downloads HP PSC 1200 All-in-One Printer | HP® Support
If your OS is 32 bit, just select that in drop down box on the HP site

Can't tell what bit depth your OS is - please follow the EZ System Specs link in my sig. You'll have to manually add the make and model of the PC. click on any post "My system specs" to see how other member's machines are described. The tool in the link does most of the heavy lifting though.

Also, it will help knowing the make and model of the ext HD
Thanks
The system is Windows 7 X64
HP does not provide drivers or software for this...Windows 7 supposed to do this.
It's my mother's system now, was mine prior to some upgrades.
The HDD I will have to check with them on it...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2013   #7
dTonic

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Thanks, was hoping something simple might resolve the issue - time to dig deeper.

Try this: SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Run Option Two in the the tutorial three times (SFC works in small chunks)
restarting the machine between each

run it multiple times even if it reports no integrity issues
after the thrid execution, follow Option Three in the tutorial and post sfcdetails.txt
Oh boy...this will be tough. I will see if I can walk my mother (77yrs) through this. Wish I could get remote access working with her.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2013   #8
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

It might be better to "take it into the shop" -> by that I mean bring mom's machine to your place.

Yeah Windows Update should find the drivers, it depends on
your driver update settings, and
if Windows "sees" the device (DevMgr sees them - right?)

I gave you the link directly to the manufacturer's driver page. By downloading and installing the driver yourself, you eliminate that as a cause, at least for the printer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2014   #9
dTonic

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
It might be better to "take it into the shop" -> by that I mean bring mom's machine to your place.

Yeah Windows Update should find the drivers, it depends on
your driver update settings, and
if Windows "sees" the device (DevMgr sees them - right?)

I gave you the link directly to the manufacturer's driver page. By downloading and installing the driver yourself, you eliminate that as a cause, at least for the printer.
Yes, with respect to the printer HP does not supply the drivers, Windows 7 does...and it did find them and it does show up in device manager, but when attempting to select the printer, no listing exists.

My mother lives 3hrs from my house. What I can not talk her through I will have to wait till I make a trip there in a month or two.

It's good to know that there is a forum that is fairly quick to respond.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2014   #10
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

I again suggest that you use a local offline pkg to reinstall the printer.

Probably best to uninstall what's there, reboot, and use the downloaded HP pkg to install the device.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB Devices not seen in Windows 7




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Audio USB Devices showing under Other Devices in Device Manager
Hi! I have two USB audio devices that I cannot seem to properly install drivers for. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & KORG MicroKONTROL I am in communication with both product tech support teams but so far they have not offered a successful solution. As the same issue is occurring with multiple...
Hardware & Devices
Devices with removable storage combining devices?
I have a Dell XPS 8000 with a 4 in 1 card reader. I also have a DVD and a Blu Ray drive installed in the computer. But in the descriptions in Computer, I get this: BD-RE Drive (G:) SD/mini-MMS/RS DVD RW Drive (H:) CF/MD I have even moved the two drives off of the SATA ports built into...
Hardware & Devices
Asus Xonar 2D/PM - Playback Devices - Devices Incorrectly Named
Symptom 1: Xonar D2 Audio Center does not behave normally -> Speaker test does not function. The speaker test function included in Windows under "volume\PlayBack Devices" does function normally. Symptom 2: Devices within "Playback Devices" are incorrectly named. How it should look: How...
Sound & Audio
Can't Connect Wifi Devices to Wired Devices
I have been unable to connect to anything on my wired network, for about the last week. I don't remember making any changes however, I just became unable to connect. I having done a little troubleshooting. 1. I can connect to the shares of my Windows Home Server if I use the IP address. The...
Network & Sharing
Devices - See Devices that are able to Wake Up the Computer
How to See a List of Devices that are able to Wake Up the Computer This will show you how to see a list of devices installed on your computer that are configured to be able to wake up your computer from sleep in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. Here's How:
Tutorials


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App