Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to recover ntfs partition

06 Jan 2014   #1
Gerrit

Windows 7 x64, Ubuntu 12.04.3 64bit
 
 
How to recover ntfs partition

Hi everyone,

I have an external drive, size 1TB with a ntfs partition on it. Some linux tools told me, that the size of the drive is 2TB. I used to GParted to resize it. Everything looked fine and the drive was still accessible. After writing something on the drive, the drive became inaccessible both under Ubuntu and Windows 7.

I tried to rewrite the MBR table with fdisk to have it set back to 1TB, but I dont really know, what sector size would be correct.

I wanted to use chkdsk to repair the drive, but unfortunately the drive is recognized as a RAW drive.

Can someone help me to rewrite the MBR table with fdisk or suggest a tool which can repair the MBR?


Some output that may be helpful:

fdisk after I rewrote the MBR

Code:
$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sde

Disk /dev/sde: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x44fdfe06

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sde1              63  1953525166   976762552    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
parted output:

Code:
$ sudo parted /dev/sde unit s print
Model: WD 10EACS External (scsi)
Disk /dev/sde: 1953525168s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start  End          Size         Type     File system  Flags
 1      63s    1953525166s  1953525104s  primary
dmesg output when attaching the drive (in linux):

Code:
[ 7792.905572] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
[ 7792.998930] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=1058, idProduct=1100
[ 7792.998932] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 7792.998934] usb 1-1.2: Product: My Book         
[ 7792.998935] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Western Digital 
[ 7792.998936] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: 57442D574341534A30393431333733
[ 7792.999363] scsi7 : usb-storage 1-1.2:1.0
[ 7793.998087] scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access     WD       10EACS External  1.65 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
[ 7793.999008] sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg5 type 0
[ 7794.001221] sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] 1953525168 512-byte logical blocks: (1.00 TB/931 GiB)
[ 7794.002257] sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] Write Protect is off
[ 7794.002262] sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] Mode Sense: 21 00 00 00
[ 7794.003385] sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] No Caching mode page found
[ 7794.003388] sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 7794.006132] sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] No Caching mode page found
[ 7794.006136] sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 7794.023054]  sde: sde1
[ 7794.026132] sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] No Caching mode page found
[ 7794.026137] sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 7794.026141] sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] Attached SCSI disk



My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2014   #2
Golden

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

jumanji is a whizz at this......I'll make him aware of this. Look for his reply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2014   #3
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote:
I tried to rewrite the MBR table
MBR consists of:
  • disk signature
  • partition table
  • master boot code (to boot from partition). Small piece of bootstapr code.
Why rewrite MBR and which part of it? Rewrite with zeros's?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2014   #4
Gerrit

Windows 7 x64, Ubuntu 12.04.3 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote:
I tried to rewrite the MBR table
MBR consists of:
  • disk signature
  • partition table
  • master boot code (to boot from partition). Small piece of bootstapr code.
Why rewrite MBR and which part of it? Rewrite with zeros's?
Rewrite the partition table, so the information is correct according to the actual size of the hard drive. And because I was so stupid to belive the testdisk and fdisk, that the hard drive is 2TB big although I bought it as a 1TB drive and thus resized it with GParted.

And because there is data on it, that I havent backed up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2014   #5
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

fdisk -land gparted
dispaly that it's a 1TB disk. Only 1 partition on disk, starting at sector 63 (quite normal in windows). ID=7 so NTFS.

Download and burn partition wizard. Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online . Boot from it. Does it see the partition, is it NTFS, PRIMARY?
Post results please. Most preferable with camshots
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2014   #6
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gerrit View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote:
I tried to rewrite the MBR table

MBR consists of:
  • disk signature
  • partition table
  • master boot code (to boot from partition). Small piece of bootstapr code.
Why rewrite MBR and which part of it? Rewrite with zeros's?
Rewrite the partition table, so the information is correct according to the actual size of the hard drive. And because I was so stupid to belive the testdisk and fdisk, that the hard drive is 2TB big although I bought it as a 1TB drive and thus resized it with GParted.

And because there is data on it, that I havent backed up.
You are sure you messed up the MBR only (first 512bytes of disk)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2014   #7
Gerrit

Windows 7 x64, Ubuntu 12.04.3 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
fdisk -land gparted
dispaly that it's a 1TB disk. Only 1 partition on disk, starting at sector 63 (quite normal in windows). ID=7 so NTFS.
They did before I resized and afterwards rewrote the MBR partition table with fdisk.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You are sure you messed up the MBR only (first 512bytes of disk)?
Not completely, but I hope not.


Will test partition wizard

Picture of partition wizard overview:

My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2014   #8
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

disksignature overwritten.... no problem.
master boot code overwritten... no problem.
You did override the partition table as well. Don't know what you did modify.

Anyway it's sector 0 of disk. tell me what Partition Wizard says.

Partition Wizard: How to perform lost partition recovery and deleted partition recovery under Windows? Partition Recovery Help. Do "full disk" ->quick scan. Does it find a large partition starting at sector 63? You can recover it. Make it PRIMARY using Partition Wizard as well. Since it was the only partition on that disk, mark it ACTIVE as well
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2014   #9
Gerrit

Windows 7 x64, Ubuntu 12.04.3 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
disksignature overwritten.... no problem.
master boot code overwritten... no problem.
You did override the partition table as well. Don't know what you did modify.
Modified the sector size.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Anyway it's sector 0 of disk. tell me what Partition Wizard says.

Partition Wizard: How to perform lost partition recovery and deleted partition recovery under Windows? Partition Recovery Help. Do "full disk" ->quick scan. Does it find a large partition starting at sector 63? You can recover it. Make it PRIMARY using Partition Wizard as well. Since it was the only partition on that disk, mark it ACTIVE as well
Partition wizard finds the partition. But I'm unsure if the "Used Size" is a problem:

My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2014   #10
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Status: Existing. Hmmmmm it is already there, or did you already recover. What does the main screen display after you start PW?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to recover ntfs partition




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How to recover ntfs partition
Thread Forum
I lost my NTFS partition. Now it is an unallocated space. How recover Installation & Setup
how to format NTFS partition General Discussion
Need to recover files from a corrupt unreadable NTFS harddrive Backup and Restore
Backup Partition - NTFS vs FAT32 Backup and Restore
Installed Win 7 in NTFS and cant recover XP DATA BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App