Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need Help, grub rescue

15 Jan 2014   #1
AlexTF

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Need Help, grub rescue

So the title pretty much says everthing, after installing another OS using unetbootin I created a partition for the secondary OS, it didn't work so I deleted the partition with Minitool Partition Wizard not knowing I deleted the bootmenu for unetbooting, now I get this error and want to know how to load up the original boot system(windows 7 bootmenu). I saw a few but most say that I need a upgrade/installation disc which I don't have, so if you can help me with this problem please tell me how.

Error: no such partition.
grub rescue>


Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell Inspiron
1TB Hard drive


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Jan 2014   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

! You have to activate your C partition with Partition Wizard CD
2. Download and burn the exact Win 7 edition (same as your system) to CD
3. Run startup/repair 3 times - Startup Repair
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2014   #3
AlexTF

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

WHS, So I need to download Windows 7 Home Premium from the link you sent me?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jan 2014   #4
AlexTF

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

I dont know if thi is going to work,but im going to install another OS again (Kali Lunix) and going to try to replace it with the new boot menu kali lunix is going to give me to see if it works, the only thing im afraid of is it said to split a partition for kali, since i dont have access to windows 7 im going to need to resize the windows 7 partition which may delete everything
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2014   #5
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AlexTF View Post
WHS, So I need to download Windows 7 Home Premium from the link you sent me?
If Home Premium SP1 is the system you want to fix, then yes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2014   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AlexTF View Post
I dont know if thi is going to work,but im going to install another OS again (Kali Lunix) and going to try to replace it with the new boot menu kali lunix is going to give me to see if it works, the only thing im afraid of is it said to split a partition for kali, since i dont have access to windows 7 im going to need to resize the windows 7 partition which may delete everything
I think I understand what you are trying to do - install another Grub in the hopes it will pick up the Windows bootmgr. I am not sure whether that will work.

And be careful with the creation of new partitions. Check first how many primary partitions you already have. If it is more than 3, you cannot create another partition - at least not without running into the dreaded dynamics.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2014   #7
AlexTF

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AlexTF View Post
I dont know if thi is going to work,but im going to install another OS again (Kali Lunix) and going to try to replace it with the new boot menu kali lunix is going to give me to see if it works, the only thing im afraid of is it said to split a partition for kali, since i dont have access to windows 7 im going to need to resize the windows 7 partition which may delete everything
I think I understand what you are trying to do - install another Grub in the hopes it will pick up the Windows bootmgr. I am not sure whether that will work.

And be careful with the creation of new partitions. Check first how many primary partitions you already have. If it is more than 3, you cannot create another partition - at least not without running into the dreaded dynamics.
Yea that's what im going to do but from what I remember the last time I checked the partitions, I had one for OS, Recovery, Allocated and something else.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2014   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Better check first how the disk is subdivided - with the Partition Wizard CD (the .iso is in the last box of the webpage)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2014   #9
AlexTF

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Better check first how the disk is subdivided - with the Partition Wizard CD (the .iso is in the last box of the webpage)
So I downoad the bootable CD and I run it with the boot options? And can I use a USB to do this, I
don't have a disc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2014   #10
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

You only have to rewrite the MBR boot code. Partition Wizard has an option "Rewrite MBR". Or win7 repair disc: bootrec/fixmbr. Or bootsect /nt60 C: /force /mbr
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need Help, grub rescue




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
After clean install, computer won't boot; grub rescue prompt
Hello everyone, I did some searching and saw this previously answered a bunch of times, but I haven't had any luck with the existing answers. I built my own machine a few years ago, so it is not standard. Everything was booting just fine until I decided I wanted to do a fresh reinstall of...
Installation & Setup
error no such partition grub rescue
:cry: Hello, I am using Windows 7 Starter edition on my Gateway Netbook, ID LT4004u. I wanted to try out a new OS on it, one that was designed for Netbooks, EasyPeasy. I downloaded the ISO and used YUMI USB installer to put it on my USB drive. I then tested out EasyPeasy, and liked it. I...
General Discussion
Grub rescue error
there was windows 7 home basic on my vaio laptop. i had install ubantu on the same hard disc. but when i installed the ubantu on my lapi first time...lapi goes shut down and installation get cancelled..i again tried to install ubantu on my lapi on the same hard disk of window but in another...
Backup and Restore
unknown file system grub rescue
hello I'm sorry to post this query again as I'm sure there must be a thread related to this but i have a very bad internet connection as of now so kindly help me i tried recovering my laptop a sony vaio e series back to factory settings and upon restarting it is showing unknown file system grub...
Backup and Restore
Windows: GRUB rescue mode, unknown filestream
My windows suddenly booted into GRUB Rescue mode and I can't get out of it, I would greatly appreciate any advice on this problem When I try to run startup repairs I get the error message saying that it is unable to diagnose problems with the return messages: Problem event name:...
Installation & Setup
Power Went Out- Grub Rescue - Cant Boot
As the title says, my power just went out and im running windows 7 on SSD, along side Ubuntu, now that i try to boot the computer i get a grub rescue prompt and none of the grub commands work, also i get a simple No such device error. Im at a delima i dont know where my repair disk is, and my OS...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App