Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need help upgrading my rig

25 Jan 2014   #1

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
Need help upgrading my rig

Hey there everyone,
I am new to these forums so forgive me if I have made any mistakes
I have a gaming pc that has been up and running for 2 years now. I built this rig myself with a little help from a friend.
Now I have a Asus GTX 560 ti Graphics card, which I am thinking of upgrading. I have an i5 2500k 3.30 Ghz CPU, 8 GB of internal RAM
and an Asus motherboard. I am considering to upgrade my Graphics Card to an Asus GTX 760. However that left me wondering will that bottleneck
my CPU then? As I cannot afford to upgrade my CPU also.

If you guys could give me some suggestions on which Graphics Card to upgrade to that will be great.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jan 2014   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ekayrouz View Post
Hey there everyone,
I am new to these forums so forgive me if I have made any mistakes
I have a gaming pc that has been up and running for 2 years now. I built this rig myself with a little help from a friend.
Now I have a Asus GTX 560 ti Graphics card, which I am thinking of upgrading. I have an i5 2500k 3.30 Ghz CPU, 8 GB of internal RAM
and an Asus motherboard. I am considering to upgrade my Graphics Card to an Asus GTX 760. However that left me wondering will that bottleneck
my CPU then? As I cannot afford to upgrade my CPU also.

If you guys could give me some suggestions on which Graphics Card to upgrade to that will be great.
You have a good rig now and I don't think a better Graphics card is going to bottleneck an i5. If you really want to speed up your PC, get a SSD. They probably won't help that much for games, but for general work, nothing speeds up your PC like an SSD. Check them out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2014   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

As previously mentioned don't worry about an upgraded GPU bottle-necking your i5. Do you know the speed of your ram? I second the SSD for a dramatic speed change but it's only about booting in and out of windows and all programs loaded to it.

You could also consider a cheaper way out and that's to SLi another 560 ti?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Jan 2014   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

The GTX 760 would be a small increase in speed over your 560 TI, and being 2 generations newer, it would run cooler and consume less power. Your I5 has plenty of headroom and the 760 GTX will not hamper it at all.
I would, like the previous suggestions, go with an SSD. You get an instant speed increase in everyday activities, although it will not help your gaming FPS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2014   #5

Win8/8.1,Win7-U64, Vista U64, uncounted Linux distor's
 
 

I think the best bang for the buck is to add a second Asus GTX 560 ti in SLI. What PSU do you have? If it's 650-700 watts you should be GTG. A used 560 is around $100 USD, you may have enough for a 120-240gb SSD. Your cpu and memory are fine, no bottleneck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2014   #6

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ekayrouz View Post
Hey there everyone,
I am new to these forums so forgive me if I have made any mistakes
I have a gaming pc that has been up and running for 2 years now. I built this rig myself with a little help from a friend.
Now I have a Asus GTX 560 ti Graphics card, which I am thinking of upgrading. I have an i5 2500k 3.30 Ghz CPU, 8 GB of internal RAM
and an Asus motherboard. I am considering to upgrade my Graphics Card to an Asus GTX 760. However that left me wondering will that bottleneck
my CPU then? As I cannot afford to upgrade my CPU also.

If you guys could give me some suggestions on which Graphics Card to upgrade to that will be great.
You have a good rig now and I don't think a better Graphics card is going to bottleneck an i5. If you really want to speed up your PC, get a SSD. They probably won't help that much for games, but for general work, nothing speeds up your PC like an SSD. Check them out.
Thanks for the quick reply! My pc is generally slow on booting up, so installing an ssd will help that? Will I also need to reinstall windows 7 if I install an 120 GB SSD in my computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2014   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

YES and yes, but with the new found speed that you'll clean install it will make it worth the upgrade. You'll revel in the speed that it will boot and close but opening photoshop for the first time will sell you alone on the upgrade and you'll never look back !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2014   #8

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
As previously mentioned don't worry about an upgraded GPU bottle-necking your i5. Do you know the speed of your ram? I second the SSD for a dramatic speed change but it's only about booting in and out of windows and all programs loaded to it.

You could also consider a cheaper way out and that's to SLi another 560 ti?
What I find most annoying about the 560 ti (factory overclocked) is that it's a really noisy card, and that's what makes me want to change it most. It runs on a fairly cool temp but is REALLY loud. Maybe a 780 will cure that problem? I also have no idea what speed my ram is. I forgot the name but I know that it's corsair.

Thanks for the reply
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2014   #9

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
YES and yes, but with the new found speed that you'll clean install it will make it worth the upgrade. You'll revel in the speed that it will boot and close but opening photoshop for the first time will sell you alone on the upgrade and you'll never look back !
That's a bummer. I recently reinstalled windows 7 so I have to actually do it again now :/
Also, I know this is a bit off topic but when I reinstalled windows 7, when I boot up my pc I actually find 2 windows 7. Is the other one the old windows I had? I don't dare to click on it in fear I will loose all my data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2014   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Well likely it's 1333 or 1600, that being said you can make things snappier with higher speed ram but you will want to re-visit the mobo spec's for it's limit. Unfortunately ddr3 has not been going down in cost it's been going up but watching for a sale will help. I just scored 2x8gb of 2400Mhz. from Team and it was cheap and I have to say it's top flight stuff.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need help upgrading my rig




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Need help upgrading my rig
Thread Forum
Need help upgrading RAM Performance & Maintenance
Upgrading Installation & Setup
Upgrading General Discussion
Upgrading PC Hardware & Devices
Upgrading from XP Pro Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33