Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer shutting off without warning


31 Jan 2014   #1

Windows 7 Basic x64
 
 
Computer shutting off without warning

Hi, I have been recently having a problem with my Sony Vaio computer

My computer has been shutting down without warning, but I'm not sure why. It's shutting down in a similar fashion to when my computer has overheated in the past - I.E the screen just goes black and the power light fades away almost instantly.

However, I have recently replaced the heatsink on my laptop, and I can tell you for a fact that the computer is NOT overheating.

Here is the incredibly weird thing though. The computer does not appear to shut down ever when I don't have any games open. However, when I start up a game - including clients for some games, like League of Legends, the computer will shut off in usually 5-10 minutes.

Even stranger still, sometimes I can play games for 3 hours, and the computer will not turn off. The problem only appears to happen when i play some certain games. To see whether the computer was overheating, I alt-tabbed out of a 'problem' game, and watched my temps on CPUID HW monitor, and sure enough, no overheating occured - temps stayed at aroun 60 degrees C, and the computer after about 10 minutes just shut off without warning.

I have zero idea why this is happening, but it is of course annoying. I have tried updating graphics drivers, but it changes nothing.

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Jan 2014   #2

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pazzaar View Post

However, I have recently replaced the heatsink on my laptop, and I can tell you for a fact that the computer is NOT overheating.

Here is the incredibly weird thing though. The computer does not appear to shut down ever when I don't have any games open. However, when I start up a game - including clients for some games, like League of Legends, the computer will shut off in usually 5-10 minutes.
Whats the Gpu temp though? You mentioned checking the temp - was that the CPU or the GPU temp?

Certain games will utilise the GPU more than others. The CPU may be 60c but the GPU may be exceeding 100C +

If the GPU temp is exceeding the threshold, then it will shut down like described. It doesn't mater what the CPU temp is.

otherwise, are you running on battery or mains? Is the power adapter the correct one for your system?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2014   #3

Windows 7 Basic x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pazzaar View Post

However, I have recently replaced the heatsink on my laptop, and I can tell you for a fact that the computer is NOT overheating.

Here is the incredibly weird thing though. The computer does not appear to shut down ever when I don't have any games open. However, when I start up a game - including clients for some games, like League of Legends, the computer will shut off in usually 5-10 minutes.
Whats the Gpu temp though? You mentioned checking the temp - was that the CPU or the GPU temp?

Certain games will utilise the GPU more than others. The CPU may be 60c but the GPU may be exceeding 100C +

If the GPU temp is exceeding the threshold, then it will shut down like described. It doesn't mater what the CPU temp is.

otherwise, are you running on battery or mains? Is the power adapter the correct one for your system?


The GPU temps stay at around 50C, so its not that. Sometimes, for example last night, I've been able to play a game for 3 hours with no problem. However, if I opened up a different (less demanding) game, the computer would shut down in 5 minutes.

The power lead is the same lead I have been using for 3 years, so I would be hard pressed to say it was that. I currently run without a battery in the laptop, directly from the mains, however if I were to disconnect the lead from the mains, the laptop's power light would instantly go off. However, in this instance, it fades away after the screen goes black from the laptop shutting off
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Jan 2014   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Could it be that you might be accidentally knocking the lead out of the input port? therefore causing it to lose power and instantly shut down?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2014   #5

Windows 7 Basic x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Devlin1888 View Post
Could it be that you might be accidentally knocking the lead out of the input port? therefore causing it to lose power and instantly shut down?
Definitely not that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2014   #6

Windows 7 Basic x64
 
 

Okay, I have a development. The problem has begun to appear OUTSIDE of games, so it would appear it is not the games which are the problem. It seems to occur when I am doing something that has some demand in the process, like working on Photoshop for example.

I tried booting in safe mode, and sure enough, the computer still shut down after a bit when I was working in Photoshop. This would lead me to believe that the problem does not lie with the GPU.

That leaves the motherboard, CPU, HDD, PSU, or something else that is a bit random. If anyone has any ideas what else could be causing these random shut downs that would be great!

BTW, the computer IS NOT overheating! The fans are spinning at normal rates, and the temps of the CPU are at arounr 45-50C at idle temps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2014   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

I wouldn't trust the temps but would highly suggest you check first hand by opening up and blowing out all fans and coolers and while there have a good look around for cold solder joints, loose wires, or evidence of discolored mobo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2014   #8

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Also; while in there; look for any possible capacitors that look like they may be about ready to burst open; as any signs of that can be a major problem. I know linne said not to trust the temps; and i do but i dont agree with that. What i would do is try and compare temps of the hardware monitor with those of the bios(if your bios has a temp monitor in it) but if not then try and compare it with another hardware monitor to see if the temps are the same. If they are different; then ya gotta try and figure out which one is right. And yes you should blow the dust and dirt out of the fans as part of maintenance. Also; check for broken or loose wires or cables/connectors etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2014   #9

Windows 7 Pro-x64
 
 

Run this Diagnostic Tool so we can see the logs and system setup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2014   #10

Windows 7 Basic x64
 
 

Ok, I am less than enthusiastic to start prodding around inside my computer straight away, but I guess I'll do it later, when I have more free time

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carwiz View Post
Run this Diagnostic Tool so we can see the logs and system setup.

I used the diagnostics tool and then created the zip file as requested, and have set it as an attachment to this post. I hope it can help solve this issue I am having!

I'll update this forum later with whatever I find when I open up my laptop!


Attached Files
File Type: zip SF_01-02-2014.zip (2.40 MB, 1 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Computer shutting off without warning




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Computer shutting off without warning
Thread Forum
laptop shutting off without warning Hardware & Devices
Updates shutting down PC without warning Windows Updates & Activation
BSOD while shutting down computer (1-week old new computer) BSOD Help and Support
Solved Please help: Getting COM server Warning when shutting down General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33