Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: PC won't remember drive letter

04 Feb 2014   #1

Win 7 pro 32bit
 
 
PC won't remember drive letter

Bought some WD 2 TB drives. I connect one and it is automatically assigned G: I go into Manage Computer and change drive to Z:

I disconnect it and connect a different one and that gets assigned back to G: If I go into Manage Computer and reassign the second one to Z: then the first one goes back to being assigned back to G: It only remembers one drive is supposed to be Z: All the others go back to G:

Is there any way to have everyone I plug in get a Z: assignment?

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Feb 2014   #2
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

Have you tried giving each one a different drive letter. I have several and assign each of them a seperate drive letter. Windows remembers that way. I assign 1 drive X one drive Y another drive Z. Windows can then remember which one is which.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2014   #3

Win 7 pro 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Have you tried giving each one a different drive letter. I have several and assign each of them a seperate drive letter. Windows remembers that way. I assign 1 drive X one drive Y another drive Z. Windows can then remember which one is which.
Thanks for the suggestion but I NEED to have everyone I plug in be assigned Z: (for the purpose of backups) I have one for every day of the week. The copy job, by default, copies to Z: so when I disconnect one and then connect the one for the next day it still needs the Z: designation.
Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Feb 2014   #4

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Have you tried giving each one a different drive letter. I have several and assign each of them a seperate drive letter. Windows remembers that way. I assign 1 drive X one drive Y another drive Z. Windows can then remember which one is which.
Thanks for the suggestion but I NEED to have everyone I plug in be assigned Z: (for the purpose of backups) I have one for every day of the week. The copy job, by default, copies to Z: so when I disconnect one and then connect the one for the next day it still needs the Z: designation.
Thanks
What are you using for your backups?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2014   #5
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
I NEED to have everyone I plug in be assigned Z:
That does not work. Only 1 drive can be Z. For the others it picks the next available letter which in your case is G. You can give those another letter too, but not Z because that is already taken.

Why don't you work with G and don't assign a specific letter. That would work (until you plug something else in which gets G - can't win.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2014   #6

Win 7 pro 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
I NEED to have everyone I plug in be assigned Z:
That does not work. Only 1 drive can be Z. For the others it picks the next available letter which in your case is G. You can give those another letter too, but not Z because that is already taken.

Why don't you work with G and don't assign a specific letter. That would work (until you plug something else in which gets G - can't win.
Sorry if I was unclear. Only ONE drive is in at a time. Monday I connect one and then take it out on Tuesday and then put in a different one. As soon as I do that it gets assigned G: They are never in at the same time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2014   #7

Win 7 pro 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Have you tried giving each one a different drive letter. I have several and assign each of them a seperate drive letter. Windows remembers that way. I assign 1 drive X one drive Y another drive Z. Windows can then remember which one is which.
Thanks for the suggestion but I NEED to have everyone I plug in be assigned Z: (for the purpose of backups) I have one for every day of the week. The copy job, by default, copies to Z: so when I disconnect one and then connect the one for the next day it still needs the Z: designation.
Thanks
What are you using for your backups?
I have tape and these external drives.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2014   #8

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pkerr View Post

Thanks for the suggestion but I NEED to have everyone I plug in be assigned Z: (for the purpose of backups) I have one for every day of the week. The copy job, by default, copies to Z: so when I disconnect one and then connect the one for the next day it still needs the Z: designation.
Thanks
What are you using for your backups?
I have tape and these external drives.
What software are you using?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2014   #9

Win 7 pro 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

What are you using for your backups?
I have tape and these external drives.
What software are you using?
Why would that matter?
I'm doing this on Windows Server 2008 but I'm having the same issue on a regular 'ol windows 7 PC
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2014   #10

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
I have tape and these external drives.
What software are you using?
Why would that matter?
I'm doing this on Windows Server 2008 but I'm having the same issue on a regular 'ol windows 7 PC
You want help or not?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 PC won't remember drive letter




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33