Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Power supply not enough?

29 Mar 2014   #1
Slothalicious

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Power supply not enough?

Hello,
I recently built a new computer and it has been running fine without any problems. Although, whenever I play games like BF4 or CSGO the exhaust fan at the back seems to slow down a bit and has a little bit of clicking. Is my power supply enough for these components?
Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce 3X
Intel core i7 4770 3.4 ghz
Asus Z87-C motherboard
8GB G-Skill RAM 1600Mhz
128GB SSD/640GB hard drive
700 Watt Cooler Master PSU
Zalman Z11 Case
Thanks,
Lachy


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Mar 2014   #2
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

700 watts seems plenty to me
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2014   #3
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

From what I read the card can pull over 300 watts under a load. Based on that I'd say an honest 700 watt PSU would be OK, but..............Coolermaster PSUs don't seem to get the best reviews, so I don't know how much faith I'd have in it. Even if were good when new, it might be failing.

Or am I misreading your hardware and you have 3 of these cards?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Mar 2014   #4
Slothalicious

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post

Or am I misreading your hardware and you have 3 of these cards?
Oops. You're not misreading, probably should have worded it better. Gigabyte's cooling solution is named "Windforce 3X" 3 fans. So the power supply should be okay?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2014   #5
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

I would use this calculator:

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2014   #6
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Good one card, as zero way you would get 3 cards powered during full tilt gaming with 700w.

I would replace the fan, I think you just have a bad one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2014   #7
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slothalicious View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post

Or am I misreading your hardware and you have 3 of these cards?
Oops. You're not misreading, probably should have worded it better. Gigabyte's cooling solution is named "Windforce 3X" 3 fans. So the power supply should be okay?
If it's a single card, the PC won't draw anywhere near 700 watts.

Whether your PSU can supply that is another question. The watts stated on the label doesn't mean much and Coolermaster is not a highly regarded PSU brand. Maybe it can't provide a consistent 400.

And/or it could be failing.

I'd try to find reviews of your particular Coolermaster model.

Or swap in another PSU and see if your problems go away.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2014   #8
Slothalicious

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slothalicious View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post

Or am I misreading your hardware and you have 3 of these cards?
Oops. You're not misreading, probably should have worded it better. Gigabyte's cooling solution is named "Windforce 3X" 3 fans. So the power supply should be okay?
If it's a single card, the PC won't draw anywhere near 700 watts.

Whether your PSU can supply that is another question. The watts stated on the label doesn't mean much and Coolermaster is not a highly regarded PSU brand. Maybe it can't provide a consistent 400.

And/or it could be failing.

I'd try to find reviews of your particular Coolermaster model.

Or swap in another PSU and see if your problems go away.
Alright. I did the calculator thing and it said that my Computer should use around 462 watts at 90% load. The only other power supply I've got is a 475 watt psu that came with a Dell XPS 9000. What should I do?
My exact PSU: http://www.coolermaster.com/powersup.../thunder-700w/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2014   #9
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Calculators tend to overestimate requirements.

If the 475 watt PSU has the right connectors, I'd at least try it. If the problems go away, you can be pretty sure the problem was with the Coolermaster.

But---the Dell PSU may not be much better and you may be pushing its limits. But you can try it at least briefly as a test.

On the other hand, the Coolermaster "problem" may not be significant and may just be a failing fan or due to the Coolermaster being pushed hard. Doesn't mean it's going to drop dead.

You could get a Killawatt meter and actually find out how much power the PC is drawing. They cost about $20 and are pretty handy to have around the house.

If you are going to buy another PSU, get a Seasonic or XFX in the 500 to 600 watt range.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2014   #10
Slothalicious

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Calculators tend to overestimate requirements.

If the 475 watt PSU has the right connectors, I'd at least try it. If the problems go away, you can be pretty sure the problem was with the Coolermaster.

But---the Dell PSU may not be much better and you may be pushing its limits. But you can try it at least briefly as a test.

On the other hand, the Coolermaster "problem" may not be significant and may just be a failing fan or due to the Coolermaster being pushed hard. Doesn't mean it's going to drop dead.

You could get a Killawatt meter and actually find out how much power the PC is drawing. They cost about $20 and are pretty handy to have around the house.

If you are going to buy another PSU, get a Seasonic or XFX in the 500 to 600 watt range.
Alright I might briefly try the Dell PSU sometime, yeah when I'm just idling or browsing the web the exhaust fan runs at maximum I'm guessing, then when I'm playing a game it slows down, it has a blue LED and the light shines onto the wall, when it's running fast you can't notice the blinking of it but when I'm in a game you can see the fan in the blue light.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Power supply not enough?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Bought new Power Supply Unit, won't power on. Did I buy the wrong one?
I have a Corsair CX430M PSU with 4 slots to connect in the back. CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com & bought a new Antec BP550 Plus PSU, which has 5 slots to connect to. Antec BP550 Plus ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Power Supply
Hi My neighbor brought her laptop over its dead (HP Pavilion g series)I think maybe her charging brick is bad, can I try my charging brick (Asus G75) to see if its takes a charge. The numbers are different on the brick than hers will that make things worse ? HP---input 100-240V 1.7A ...
Hardware & Devices
Bad power supply?
So I had put my computer to sleep before work today. I came home and couldn't get it to "wake up." So I powered it down with the button on the front. However, now it will not turn back on. It worked fine yesterday, I played some D3 and surfed the web... Tonight after work nothing. So I laid it down...
Hardware & Devices
Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply
Ok, so it's time again for me to pick a new power supply, however, I'm in need of some help determining the appropriate wattage for my hardware setup. AMD Phenom II X4 955 45nm AM3 GSkill Ripjaw X 16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24) Corsair TX750w (I dont think its the V2) ASUS...
Hardware & Devices
Power Supply
Hello, I am interested in the Nvidia Geforce N470GTX Twin Frozr II. My current card is an Geforce 9600gt. I believe my system currently got a 400W power supply. Do I need to upgrade it? And if so do I need to check anything as in compatibility with my motherboard? Thank you.
Hardware & Devices
power supply?
i changed my video hard to ati 5850 hd 2 months ago since then i get a lot of bsod i format the pc 1 week ago and reinstalled all drivers.. keep having the same problem.. many bsod with diferent message every time. i took it to a workshop and they told me that all is ok,they check...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:24.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App