Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Does the CPU fan always spin?

27 Oct 2009   #1
Nikolay

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Windows XP Pro x86 | Windows Vista Ultimate x86
 
 
Does the CPU fan always spin?

My CPU fan is not spinning, is it supposed to? Does it only spin when it gets hot?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Oct 2009   #2
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nikolay View Post
My CPU fan is not spinning, is it supposed to?
Yes, is it on? lol

Is the wire plugged into the right plug?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #3
Nikolay

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Windows XP Pro x86 | Windows Vista Ultimate x86
 
 

It came with a 4 pin connector but I don't have any 4 pin connectors so I plugged it in the one with around 9..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Oct 2009   #4
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nikolay View Post
It came with a 4 pin connector but I don't have any 4 pin connectors so I plugged it in the one with around 9..
4 Pin connecter? I'm thinking Molex but can you post a picture of the plug and a picture of the motherboard (the plug that is)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #5
Everlong

 

I think you might have plugged it in to an internal USB connector.

As you have an Acer computer, you might just have a 3 pin fan connector, and it should be very near the CPU socket on your motherboard. Don't worry too much about the 4th pin. The 4th pin is for fan control i.e. spins up/slows down relative to the CPU temperature.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #6
Nikolay

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Windows XP Pro x86 | Windows Vista Ultimate x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Everlong18 View Post
I think you might have plugged it in to an internal USB connector.

As you have an Acer computer, you might just have a 3 pin fan connector, and it should be very near the CPU socket on your motherboard. Don't worry too much about the 4th pin. The 4th pin is for fan control i.e. spins up/slows down relative to the CPU temperature.
It worked! Woo.. it's been a long day. I'm surprised I didn't screw up my motherboard.

Also, thank you DarkNovaGamer for being there every step of the way!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #7
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nikolay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Everlong18 View Post
I think you might have plugged it in to an internal USB connector.

As you have an Acer computer, you might just have a 3 pin fan connector, and it should be very near the CPU socket on your motherboard. Don't worry too much about the 4th pin. The 4th pin is for fan control i.e. spins up/slows down relative to the CPU temperature.
It worked! Woo.. it's been a long day. I'm surprised I didn't screw up my motherboard.

Also, thank you DarkNovaGamer for being there every step of the way!
Glad it was figured out. Did you manage to upgrade the CPU properly?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #8
Nikolay

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Windows XP Pro x86 | Windows Vista Ultimate x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nikolay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Everlong18 View Post
I think you might have plugged it in to an internal USB connector.

As you have an Acer computer, you might just have a 3 pin fan connector, and it should be very near the CPU socket on your motherboard. Don't worry too much about the 4th pin. The 4th pin is for fan control i.e. spins up/slows down relative to the CPU temperature.
It worked! Woo.. it's been a long day. I'm surprised I didn't screw up my motherboard.

Also, thank you DarkNovaGamer for being there every step of the way!
Glad it was figured out. Did you manage to upgrade the CPU properly?
Yes, it was the little things that screwed me over.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DarkNovaGamer again"

My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #9
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nikolay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nikolay View Post

It worked! Woo.. it's been a long day. I'm surprised I didn't screw up my motherboard.

Also, thank you DarkNovaGamer for being there every step of the way!
Glad it was figured out. Did you manage to upgrade the CPU properly?
Yes, it was the little things that screwed me over.
Great (not that you were getting screwed over)! Now go enjoy your new 2.7ghz Dual-Core Processor.

Also update your system specs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #10
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nikolay View Post

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DarkNovaGamer again"

Lol I appreciate the effort.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Does the CPU fan always spin?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Download Free Windows 7 SP1 RTM Spin-Off
Source: Download Free Windows 7 SP1 RTM Spin-Off - Softpedia
News
HDD spin up at win shut down
Hi! I have this very annoying problem. Everytime I shut down windows all the HDD that have gone to sleep earlier spin up then they instantly spin down and windows shuts down. Even my external USB HDD behave the same when I have it connected. Every spin up is shortening their lives so I would...
Hardware & Devices
Drives Spin Up on shutdown
Isit normal for windows 7 to spin up inactive drives on shutdown I have set my power options to turn off drives after 20 mins which is fine but i dont understand why it spins them back up before shutdown is this normal and can it be changed.
General Discussion
After PC is idle a while, all HDD's spin up?
If my PC is idle for, I dunno, 15 minutes... instead of putting drives to sleep as I'd expect, it does the opposite... all 4 of my internal drives spin up (from a state of being completely stopped). So when I go to bed it's like... *silence* ...click-whiiirrrrrrrVWEEEEE VRMMMMM...
General Discussion
*spin off* Your favourite book
That is assuming you read :p;) I don't have just one - I read A LOT so I have a bunch of favourites but a few that come to mind The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (yes yes, total sob book and most of her other books suck but I really liked this one) ...
Chillout Room
The old Network issue with a spin..
Hi All, Got a couple of computer issues that I need your help with. I have two computers, 1 running Windows 7 and 1 running Windows XP. We'll call them 7 and XP. Never computer can see shared files or directory even through both have it turned on through the "Network ICON" So here is...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App