Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Replacing internal hard drive/disc with new one

26 May 2014   #1
nofttss

windows 7 home 64bit
 
 
Replacing internal hard drive/disc with new one

Hi,

I have a quick question and I'd love some input on it if possible.

After I format my current hard drive which is running win7, I want to remove it and add a new SATA hard drive, do I just remove the existing, add the new, put the windows installation disc in the tray and boot up?

I don't have a copy of the current windows 7, but I bought a new one so I'll add that.

Is there more to it that I'm missing?

Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 May 2014   #2
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Pretty much that is all there is to it.

I would wait to format my old drive until I had success with the new one.

Tip: when clean installing windows, be sure to have only the target drive and optical disk connected - no other hard disks.

Good tutorial here:
Clean Install Windows 7
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #3
nofttss

windows 7 home 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
Pretty much that is all there is to it.

I would wait to format my old drive until I had success with the new one.

Tip: when clean installing windows, be sure to have only the target drive and optical disk connected - no other hard disks.

Good tutorial here:
Clean Install Windows 7
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
OK great, thanks for your reply.

So I should add the new hard drive to my PC, move wires from old to new. Boot up with win7 disc in, install on new hard drive. When that's successful, move wires to old, then format and remove?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 May 2014   #4
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

What's actually wrong with the old hard drive? And you don't need a copy of your existing Windows (as in a disk), as long as you have the product key you can download the relevant ISO and create your own bootable media. You could then keep the new copy you bought as a spare or return it for a refund. It's pointless losing a perfectly good license for Windows 7 which is exactly what you'll be doing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #5
nofttss

windows 7 home 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
What's actually wrong with the old hard drive? And you don't need a copy of your existing Windows (as in a disk), as long as you have the product key you can download the relevant ISO and create your own bootable media. You could then keep the new copy you bought as a spare or return it for a refund. It's pointless losing a perfectly good license for Windows 7 which is exactly what you'll be doing.
Just want to replace the hard drive. Not big enough either. I bought the new windows 7 just over 2 years ago, I don't have the current license key.

My plan was to format current hard drive, replace with new one, put in windows disc and boot up and install. The above poster said it was better to install new hard drive before I format current one. Is that how I should do it, switch the wires from old to new then back to old?

And do I need to download drivers or anything like that for the new hard drive? Or just install windows and I'm good to go?

Apologies for the newb questions
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #6
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

You can get your license key from your current install before you wipe the drive, just download Speccy, install and run it and check the Operating System tab on the left. That will show you your current license key.

Replacing internal hard drive/disc with new one-capture.jpg

You can re-use that key on your machine, it would be the best thing to do especially if it is the same version of Windows that you've bought.

How big is your current hard drive and what is the speed of it? Again, Speccy will give you this information (click on the Storage tab). I'm just thinking you could format your current drive, install Windows on it and keep it as a dedicated OS drive then add your new drive as a storage drive.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #7
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

The above poster suggests waiting to format your old hard drive because things do go wrong sometimes despite all the best precautions. If you got a defective hard drive and had to return it you could recover quickly by just reinstalling the old hard drive and having a Windows installation to use while you wait.

To clarify what Boozad is saying: If the Windows installation you have on your old hard is legitimate (activated) then you have a paid-for License Key. This may be an OEM (manufacturer) License Key for a pre-installed version of Windows that came with your computer, but as long as it is the same computer, that key is still good to install the same version of Windows again (and again).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #8
nofttss

windows 7 home 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
You can get your license key from your current install before you wipe the drive, just download Speccy, install and run it and check the Operating System tab on the left. That will show you your current license key.

Attachment 319356

You can re-use that key on your machine, it would be the best thing to do especially if it is the same version of Windows that you've bought.

How big is your current hard drive and what is the speed of it? Again, Speccy will give you this information (click on the Storage tab). I'm just thinking you could format your current drive, install Windows on it and keep it as a dedicated OS drive then add your new drive as a storage drive.
Thanks for the reply. I'll do that, my previous copy came with the computer I bought. But as for hard drives, I want to replace the current one. I go to format my current hard drive, and there's a C and D drive. They have equal capacity but 1 is 100% capacity left and the C drive is 28%. Do I have to format them seperately?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
The above poster suggests waiting to format your old hard drive because things do go wrong sometimes despite all the best precautions. If you got a defective hard drive and had to return it you could recover quickly by just reinstalling the old hard drive and having a Windows installation to use while you wait.

To clarify what Boozad is saying: If the Windows installation you have on your old hard is legitimate (activated) then you have a paid-for License Key. This may be an OEM (manufacturer) License Key for a pre-installed version of Windows that came with your computer, but as long as it is the same computer, that key is still good to install the same version of Windows again (and again).
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my license key is legitimate and came with the computer. I'll just paste what I said to boozad:

"I go to format my current hard drive, and there's a C and D drive. They have equal capacity but 1 is 100% capacity left and the C drive is 28%. Do I have to format them seperately?"

First time doing this so a bit confused.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #9
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

It depends.

You can delete one or both partitions which will leave you with Unallocated Space (blank space). You can then create and format partitions of any size you want from the Unallocated Space, or use all of it for one big partition.

Or, if you want to use the partitions that are there the size they are, then yes, you would format each partition separately.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #10
nofttss

windows 7 home 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
It depends.

You can delete one or both partitions which will leave you with Unallocated Space (blank space). You can then create and format partitions of any size you want from the Unallocated Space, or use all of it for one big partition.

Or, if you want to use the partitions that are there the size they are, then yes, you would format each partition separately.
I just want to delete everything off the drive, then I'm going to replace the drive.

Having an issue right now. I right click the C drive, and format is greyed out I can't click it. It's available for the D drive though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Replacing internal hard drive/disc with new one




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Help Upgrading 1 TB Internal to 2 TB Internal Hard Drive
So my 1 TB internal hard drive has less than 30 GB of space and I want to upgrade to a 2 TB internal so I can hold more of my games on it. How would I be able to transfer every single thing from the 1 TB to the 2 TB?
Hardware & Devices
replacing a hard drive
I am looking to replace my hard drive with a ssd.I have a acer aspire all-in one z5610 I am doing research on what/which ssd is best ? which will fit my system? what size is best 256? I have looked at crucial and kingston the all-in-one is very similar to a laptop(no spare bays) I would...
Hardware & Devices
how to make your internal hard drive into and external hard drive ?
I have an internal hard disk not in use ,and I would like to make it as external disk ! I looked on the net and I found I should have the " encelsure " butt I think I wont find it here in my city . So is there another way ? like usb -esata cable ?
Hardware & Devices
Replacing the hard drive with an SSD - easy?
Got an 128 GB SSD last night. Did a backup on the hard drive. Need to revisit the instructions, but it's install the SSD, put the boot CD in, plug the old hard drive in an USB port and let the process go. That easy? Will Microsoft be asking for activation on Win 7 and/or Office?
General Discussion
Internal Hard Drive acting like an External Hard Drive
Hi guys, I'm new on any sort of forums so go easy if it's a stupid question..but here goes. Me and my brother built me a new computer from scratch (he did the building - i did the watching). To cut a long story short - I purchased an internal hard drive from Overclockers UK. It's a Samsung...
Hardware & Devices
Help. Replacing Laptop Hard Drive
I'm getting a bigger hard drive for christmas and i'm unsure how I'm going to go about cloning my current hard drive and putting it onto the new one. First question; what program do I use to clone my Win 7 OS to the new Bigger hard drive? Second question; when cloning the hardrive do I copy...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:37.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App