Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No display during cold boots

03 Jun 2014   #1
easwar2641993

Desk: Win 7 SP1 HP 64BIT & Lap:Win 8.1 Pro 64BIT
 
 
No display during cold boots

I am having this issue for the past few days and the issue comes randomly and not for every cold boots. Everything will be on but monitor shows no signal. If I restart CPU by pressing power button, then for the next boot, display comes. What all things I have done are
1) Checked monitor and its signal cable - found no issues
2) From internet, I was suspicious about my 350W PSU but the same PSU is working better for the past 1 year and I have played resource hungry games a lot( now I am playing BF4). So, PSU cannot be an issue?

The problem occurs only on random cold boots. Say , once in 3 or 4 days. Looks like the problem started after upgrading to Catalyst 14.4.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Jun 2014   #2
Windows Sniper

Windows 8.1
 
 

Hey eas,

You might want to look at re-installing the old Catalyst drivers, or try using the Beta ones

Saying that however, is your monitored connected through HDMI, DVI or VGA?

I've had an issue before where it wouldn't display using the HDMI, but it would be fine on boot with the VGA or DVI. So it may be that the driver isn't being called at the boot properly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2014   #3
easwar2641993

Desk: Win 7 SP1 HP 64BIT & Lap:Win 8.1 Pro 64BIT
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows Sniper View Post
Hey eas,

You might want to look at re-installing the old Catalyst drivers, or try using the Beta ones

Saying that however, is your monitored connected through HDMI, DVI or VGA?

I've had an issue before where it wouldn't display using the HDMI, but it would be fine on boot with the VGA or DVI. So it may be that the driver isn't being called at the boot properly.
Found graphics card working good irrespective of drivers. Another problem started to occur which clearly points to either faulty Motherboard or faulty PSU. System won't turn on when power button is pressed and this happens if I turn on the system after long time of system shutdown. Motherboard LED for lan still blinks and system will be turned on if I disconnect power cord and connect it again. What might be the issue?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Jun 2014   #4
Windows Sniper

Windows 8.1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by easwar2641993 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows Sniper View Post
Hey eas,

You might want to look at re-installing the old Catalyst drivers, or try using the Beta ones

Saying that however, is your monitored connected through HDMI, DVI or VGA?

I've had an issue before where it wouldn't display using the HDMI, but it would be fine on boot with the VGA or DVI. So it may be that the driver isn't being called at the boot properly.
Found graphics card working good irrespective of drivers. Another problem started to occur which clearly points to either faulty Motherboard or faulty PSU. System won't turn on when power button is pressed and this happens if I turn on the system after long time of system shutdown. Motherboard LED for lan still blinks and system will be turned on if I disconnect power cord and connect it again. What might be the issue?
Wait are you saying that it does turn on after taking out the power cord? Or it continues to stay off?


You might want to look at reseating the MOBO / PSU before you do anything else, it may be shorting out somewhere.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2014   #5
easwar2641993

Desk: Win 7 SP1 HP 64BIT & Lap:Win 8.1 Pro 64BIT
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows Sniper View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by easwar2641993 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows Sniper View Post
Hey eas,

You might want to look at re-installing the old Catalyst drivers, or try using the Beta ones

Saying that however, is your monitored connected through HDMI, DVI or VGA?

I've had an issue before where it wouldn't display using the HDMI, but it would be fine on boot with the VGA or DVI. So it may be that the driver isn't being called at the boot properly.
Found graphics card working good irrespective of drivers. Another problem started to occur which clearly points to either faulty Motherboard or faulty PSU. System won't turn on when power button is pressed and this happens if I turn on the system after long time of system shutdown. Motherboard LED for lan still blinks and system will be turned on if I disconnect power cord and connect it again. What might be the issue?
Wait are you saying that it does turn on after taking out the power cord? Or it continues to stay off?


You might want to look at reseating the MOBO / PSU before you do anything else, it may be shorting out somewhere.
I tried reseating and cleared CMOS. I am saying that it won't turn on first time, no matter how many times I press the power button or when I start the PC manually by shorting the power button pins with a screw driver. It will turn on when I disconnect the power cord and connect it again OR turn of the mains which supply power to the psu and turn it on again. Very strange! What I am saying is, it will turn on the 2nd time!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2014   #6
Windows Sniper

Windows 8.1
 
 

You have strange things happening with your PSU,

Have you tried a second PSU?

Unfortunately, I cannot think of anything else to add to my previous suggestions, I'll poke someone to come take a look if i can!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2014   #7
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 


Yes mate better try another PSU if you can because the GPU specs state youneed a PSU of at least 400 watts to run this particular card.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?pid=1454&lid=1#look at the power requirements in the specs





Now given that you are also running a fair bit of stuff off the PSU makessense to me you need probably at least a 600 - 650 watt PSU for comfort and adecent one a that. Now I notice too the PSU is Corsair which is a plus but itis a VS model which is really intended for average power consumption machinesif you read the Corsair literature on it.
VS Series? VS350 ? 350 Watt Power Supply
look here and you will see you only have 25 amps available @ 12+ v



May I suggest Builder Series? CX500 or even the 600 as the 500 at least gives you 34 amps @ 12+ v. As a by the by the 600 comes in an M model meaning it is modular which is better for cable management but again a tad more expensive

A bit more expensive but more reliable and I think you will find that because of the different models being made by different companies makes the quality of the build that much different.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2014   #8
easwar2641993

Desk: Win 7 SP1 HP 64BIT & Lap:Win 8.1 Pro 64BIT
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Yes mate better try another PSU if you can because the GPU specs state youneed a PSU of at least 400 watts to run this particular card.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?pid=1454&lid=1#look at the power requirements in the specs





Now given that you are also running a fair bit of stuff off the PSU makessense to me you need probably at least a 600 - 650 watt PSU for comfort and adecent one a that. Now I notice too the PSU is Corsair which is a plus but itis a VS model which is really intended for average power consumption machinesif you read the Corsair literature on it.
VS Series? VS350 ? 350 Watt Power Supply
look here and you will see you only have 25 amps available @ 12+ v



May I suggest Builder Series? CX500 or even the 600 as the 500 at least gives you 34 amps @ 12+ v. As a by the by the 600 comes in an M model meaning it is modular which is better for cable management but again a tad more expensive

A bit more expensive but more reliable and I think you will find that because of the different models being made by different companies makes the quality of the build that much different.
Hey, I performed paper clip method when I had such another no booting issue. To my surprise, PSU started when shorted green wire and one of the black wires. So, motherboard??????
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2014   #9
Windows Sniper

Windows 8.1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by easwar2641993 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Yes mate better try another PSU if you can because the GPU specs state youneed a PSU of at least 400 watts to run this particular card.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?pid=1454&lid=1#look at the power requirements in the specs





Now given that you are also running a fair bit of stuff off the PSU makessense to me you need probably at least a 600 - 650 watt PSU for comfort and adecent one a that. Now I notice too the PSU is Corsair which is a plus but itis a VS model which is really intended for average power consumption machinesif you read the Corsair literature on it.
VS Series? VS350 ? 350 Watt Power Supply
look here and you will see you only have 25 amps available @ 12+ v



May I suggest Builder Series? CX500 or even the 600 as the 500 at least gives you 34 amps @ 12+ v. As a by the by the 600 comes in an M model meaning it is modular which is better for cable management but again a tad more expensive

A bit more expensive but more reliable and I think you will find that because of the different models being made by different companies makes the quality of the build that much different.
Hey, I performed paper clip method when I had such another no booting issue. To my surprise, PSU started when shorted green wire and one of the black wires. So, motherboard??????

No the PSU will start when you do that trick because is getting the signal to turn on.

What we are saying is your Graphics card requires certain amount of power, which your current PSU cannot supply to it.

Can you try booting without the graphics card to confirm?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2014   #10
easwar2641993

Desk: Win 7 SP1 HP 64BIT & Lap:Win 8.1 Pro 64BIT
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows Sniper View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by easwar2641993 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Yes mate better try another PSU if you can because the GPU specs state youneed a PSU of at least 400 watts to run this particular card.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?pid=1454&lid=1#look at the power requirements in the specs





Now given that you are also running a fair bit of stuff off the PSU makessense to me you need probably at least a 600 - 650 watt PSU for comfort and adecent one a that. Now I notice too the PSU is Corsair which is a plus but itis a VS model which is really intended for average power consumption machinesif you read the Corsair literature on it.
VS Series? VS350 ? 350 Watt Power Supply
look here and you will see you only have 25 amps available @ 12+ v



May I suggest Builder Series? CX500 or even the 600 as the 500 at least gives you 34 amps @ 12+ v. As a by the by the 600 comes in an M model meaning it is modular which is better for cable management but again a tad more expensive

A bit more expensive but more reliable and I think you will find that because of the different models being made by different companies makes the quality of the build that much different.
Hey, I performed paper clip method when I had such another no booting issue. To my surprise, PSU started when shorted green wire and one of the black wires. So, motherboard??????

No the PSU will start when you do that trick because is getting the signal to turn on.

What we are saying is your Graphics card requires certain amount of power, which your current PSU cannot supply to it.

Can you try booting without the graphics card to confirm?
Got a very interesting result!!!!The same thing happened again - No display during a cold boot. Every fans, lights working, but just no display. I disconnected display cord and connected to onboard VGA, that is Intel HD Graphics 2000. Oh god, its working and I was able to use the PC as usual but this time PC is not detecting graphics card though graphics card fan is running like a hell. I made a shut down and restarted, lol no display during warm boot. This time I disconnected display from onboard VGA to graphics card. Working!!!
hm..strange...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No display during cold boots




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Boots up fine but no display (needs restart)
Hi, The PC boots up fine - I know it's going through POST properly and everything works, there's just no display. What I've tried: 1. Replaced DVI cable. 2. Upgraded graphics card (not specifically to fix this). Re-seated card. 3. Checked BIOS graphics configuration. This was set to...
Graphic Cards
Windows boots but no display
I recently built my son's new gaming rig for his birthday, with an Asus Maximus V Gene mobo and an HD 7870XT, and everything seemed to be working fine. Installed Windows 7 Pro, drivers, and Windows updates, rebooting periodically without any problems. Upon giving him the new rig and setting it...
General Discussion
BSOD and errors when computer cold boots
Hi there I have a computer which when cold boots will come up with windows failed to start... i have tried the startup repair, but that doesn't find anything to fix. If I select continure to boot, it sometimes will BSOD or will boot like nothing has happened... The BSOD error is 0x0000007e...
BSOD Help and Support
Daily BSOD on cold boots & random freezes
I have an ASUS n80vn laptop that is about 3 years old. It came with OEM Windows Vista, but I installed my own copy of Windows 7 Professional 64bit more than two years ago, and there was no problem upon installation. Lately (for about a month), I have been receiving BSOD either during boot or the...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD when cold
Okay so this is a new system; Windows 7 ultimate 32bit AMD Phenom x4 965be 2x 2gb g.skill ddr3 1333 gigabyte ga-880gma-ud2h nvidia geforce 9600gso 512 matrox th2go digital edition (3 monitors) corsair h50 water cooling corsair nova series v64 ssd and 2x1tb seagate sata2 hdd's in raid0,...
BSOD Help and Support
Cold in February, for me anyway...
This is our coldest day so far this winter...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App