Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Won't Start with New CPU

07 Jun 2014   #1
sgmdew

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 
Won't Start with New CPU

I had a problem about 3 weeks ago when computer would not boot up and after some reading/testing I determined the cpu was bad. I sent in the FX 6300 and amd sent a replacement;after installing it won't boot up and I get very faint beeps, 3 long, pause, 2 long, 1 short and keep cycling with same sequence. Been unable to find any reference to that type of beeping. The board is a GA 990XA-UD3 with latest BIOS, Vid HD 7790, and nothing is different from previous setup before the other FX 6300 died. I had to return to my (%% black cpu until I can find something ou. Any help is appreciated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Jun 2014   #2
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Did you insert the new CPU with the notch in the correct position ? Did you check for any bent pins in the CPU ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2014   #3
sgmdew

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Did you insert the new CPU with the notch in the correct position ? Did you check for any bent pins in the CPU ?
Yep and used mag glass to check pins. But no go, the beeps are strange, 3lg pause 2lg 1sh.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jun 2014   #4
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Try a ClearCMOS procedure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2014   #5
sgmdew

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
Try a ClearCMOS procedure.

Did that before posting here by pulling battery for about 10mins.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2014   #6
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Negative. That only resets BIOS defaults and the Real Time Clock. You must clear the CMOS to establish a new checksum.

CLRTC Procedure (ClearCMOS)
  • Note all your current BIOS settings
  • Shut down the computer > remove the power cord.
  • Remove the 3v battery.
  • Move the CLRTC jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3.
  • Touch a metal part of the case and Press and Hold the reset button for approx. 30 seconds to discharge all power from the board.
  • Put the CLRTC jumper back on pins 1-2.
  • Replace the 3v battery > replace the power cord > boot.
  • Immediately go back into BIOS and reset all your preferred settings. If the CLRTC worked you will need to reset the date and time in BIOS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2014   #7
sgmdew

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
Negative. That only resets BIOS defaults and the Real Time Clock. You must clear the CMOS to establish a new checksum.

CLRTC Procedure (ClearCMOS)
  • Note all your current BIOS settings
  • Shut down the computer > remove the power cord.
  • Remove the 3v battery.
  • Move the CLRTC jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3.
  • Touch a metal part of the case and Press and Hold the reset button for approx. 30 seconds to discharge all power from the board.
  • Put the CLRTC jumper back on pins 1-2.
  • Replace the 3v battery > replace the power cord > boot.
  • Immediately go back into BIOS and reset all your preferred settings. If the CLRTC worked you will need to reset the date and time in BIOS.


My manual states that CMOS values may be cleared by removing battery and second option shorting jumper pins. Also my board only has 2 jumper pins that are shorted(use flattip) not 1&2 to 2&3. I have done all the basics described in manual but will clear all again tomorrow when I have time since I want to pull and insert the new cpu after I do clear CMOS to see if it boots.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2014   #8
3D Jed

Windows 7 pro x64 SP1
 
 

One way to fix computers is by swapping components until the culprit is found -

pc won't boot
swap cpu
still won't boot
wasn't the cpu, put old cpu back in and try something else

did the OP use thermal paste with the replacement cpu ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2014   #9
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sgmdew View Post

My manual states that CMOS values may be cleared by removing battery and second option shorting jumper pins. Also my board only has 2 jumper pins that are shorted(use flattip) not 1&2 to 2&3. I have done all the basics described in manual but will clear all again tomorrow when I have time since I want to pull and insert the new cpu after I do clear CMOS to see if it boots.
Different motherboard manufacturers have their own methods, but the process is the same. Short the pins to clear the CMOS.

Do Not reinsert the CPU AFTER you do the ClearCMOS. This would negate the procedure - should you turn the machine on!
If you feel you must re-seat the CPU, do it BEFORE you do the ClearCMOS!
  • Set everything up
  • Clear all the old registers
  • Turn the PC on and the BIOS will create a new list of installed hardware and checksum.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2014   #10
sgmdew

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sgmdew View Post

My manual states that CMOS values may be cleared by removing battery and second option shorting jumper pins. Also my board only has 2 jumper pins that are shorted(use flattip) not 1&2 to 2&3. I have done all the basics described in manual but will clear all again tomorrow when I have time since I want to pull and insert the new cpu after I do clear CMOS to see if it boots.
Different motherboard manufacturers have their own methods, but the process is the same. Short the pins to clear the CMOS.

Do Not reinsert the CPU AFTER you do the ClearCMOS. This would negate the procedure - should you turn the machine on!
If you feel you must re-seat the CPU, do it BEFORE you do the ClearCMOS!
  • Set everything up
  • Clear all the old registers
  • Turn the PC on and the BIOS will create a new list of installed hardware and checksum.
I currently have the old cpu in which is working, so I'm assuming you either mean to put in new cpu and then clear or not to reseat the old one that is currently in now. (Why would this stop the new cpu from booting if it just replaced the same FX 6300cpu that was there before. Putting in the old 955 booted following removal of bad 6300 without doing anything. Kinda confused! Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Won't Start with New CPU




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Acer won't start, Black screen / Windows failed to start
Hi, Can someone please help me? I'm a first-time forum user :o I've got an Acer Aspire laptop here that has decided to stop loading/starting up. When I turn the power button on: - I can see the Acer logo screen (and also get into setup if I press F2) - The cursor (_) blinks once or twice...
General Discussion
Laptop won't start after update, can't start start up repair either
My mother in law has a toshiba satellite p775-s7100 and this morning she told me there was a toshiba update, I was on her laptop yesterday and saw there was an update for her bios, so I'm assuming she clicked the update button and messed the update up somehow. Now when we try to boot the laptop,...
General Discussion
Asus Ai Suite II -is it OK to change Scheduled Start to Windows Start
BASIC INFO I have Windows Ultimate (x64). I use the Asus Suite II supplied with my Asus Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 Motherboard (which I like for fan and temperature monitoring) PROBLEM Ai Suite II always loads BUT "on screen" it is messy during loading because a seemingly AI Suite bar sized...
General Discussion
the following boot start or system start drivers failed to load
I'm not sure where to even begin to fix these problems. Some online searches suggested doing a system repair but I want to get some more feedback here before proceeding. Here is the message from the event log: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: AFD cmdGuard...
BSOD Help and Support
Classic Start Menu: Start Button appears doubled
Switched to the XP-ish Classic Start Menu, plus Adjust for Best Performance, in the usual prescribed way, no third-party interface-modifiers. All looks & works fine except that the Start button itself looks like TWO buttons -- one atop the other and just slightly out of alignment (screenshot here)....
Customization
services start/stop or change from autostart to demand start
My brand new Dell laptop keeps losing its active window focus. I have tried to pinpoint the problem to a service or startup and did not find anything specific. I am now checking the System logs and I see things like : The Windows Modules Installer Service changes every couple of seconds its...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App